SQ A350 Economy / Premium Economy to Jakarta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
    Great report as always. Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks, 9V-SIA!

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
    How does noise compare to A380 (quietest) to 777 (rock concert)?
    From where I was, just ahead of the wing, the A350 was very quiet on take-off, about the same as the A380. On landing, it is quiet but not as quiet as the A380.

The A380 is quiet on take-off, and almost seems to glide almost silently when landing. Eerily quiet. Unfortunately the A380 sometimes can land very hard...so it is super quiet until you thump onto the runway, which can startle some pax who are not expecting it.

As for the 77W...the super loud engines are an acquired taste. Really loud when starting up, and also when taking off, especially where I sit, right in the rear of the plane. So loud the cabin walls seem to vibrate. I love that sound the same way I love the boop boop boop of a Harley.

Originally posted by banoffi View Post
    Thanks for the report. I personally can't wait to scrounge up enough miles to redeem a J saver on an A350 on a long haul flight.
    You're welcome, banoffi! A good use of miles!

Comment

Today's SQ956/957, normally operated by an A350, was substituted with 9V-SYJ, a 773 today, due to "engineering requirements". Glad no such substitution happened on my flight earlier this month!

I had planned to book this flight to get home from Jakarta, but had to choose an earlier JKT-SIN flight as I had a family commitment in Singapore. If I was on SQ957, I would have been more than slightly disappointed!

Comment

ummm, about the boarding call, in my experience as then silver or statusless (which happened between 2000-2007, and 2009-2013, flight to CGK never implement check who is boarding, so I normally goes when PPS are called. From my experience, I've never been turned away. I know some Indonesians cannot queue (don't look at me though, I just go with the flow). Another curious one is flight to Denmark. They can't queue as well, and just cut the line of gold customers when their seat numbers are called. Though I have to say that Danish are kind and well-mannered people in general.

Comment

Hello yflyer

You're churning out trip reports like a production line! I am having difficulty keeping up with them!

Thanks for a very detailed introduction of the A350 product. Y class certainly looks cramped. Are the aisles the width of 1 Y class seat or more? The Y seats appear to be different from those found in the 77W aircrafts. Seat back cushion looks thinner and less padded than the 77W seats.

The PEY seats looks just like the current CX non-A350 PEY seats. I wonder if it is because the original PEY seat is too wide for the A350?

Comment

Thanks again, yflyer. Looking forward to booking a flight to SFO next year. The screens look very high def.

Comment

Originally posted by 726 View Post
              ummm, about the boarding call, in my experience as then silver or statusless (which happened between 2000-2007, and 2009-2013, flight to CGK never implement check who is boarding, so I normally goes when PPS are called.
              For SQ, whether anyone checks or not seems to vary from station to station. Unlike some other airlines which check very carefully and hold you back if it is not your turn. On my recent BA flights out of LHR, they enforced boarding sequence very stricly.

Originally posted by icn.sg View Post
              Hello yflyer

You're churning out trip reports like a production line! I am having difficulty keeping up with them!
              Hi, icn.sg! I was actually thinking my production line was slowing down...have 2 recent trips yet to be written up! Need to crank up the pace again!

Originally posted by icn.sg View Post
              Thanks for a very detailed introduction of the A350 product. Y class certainly looks cramped. Are the aisles the width of 1 Y class seat or more? The Y seats appear to be different from those found in the 77W aircrafts. Seat back cushion looks thinner and less padded than the 77W seats.
              You're welcome! Actually Y is fine. I was quite kaypoh and went back to try out the Y seats.

The A350 seats are not the same as the 77W (2006 Y).

On the SQ A350, the Y seats are very similar to the latest generation 2013 Y seats on the 77WN / 77WR. They are very comfortable, and about the same width as A330 or 77W Y seats.

Compared to a 9-abreast 787 or 10-abreast 777 on other airlines, the SQ A350 Y cabin at 9-abreast 3-3-3 would be more comfortable. This was the case when I flew QR's 787 and A350 as well. Both are 9-abreast but the A350 felt more spacious.

SO I would not call the SQ A350 cramped by today's standards -- I think it is a reasonable cabin layout. But in terms of overall cabin ambience, I think the SQ 77WN remains the best -- alongside JAL's generous 2-4-2 economy cabin on the 787.

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
              Thanks again, yflyer. Looking forward to booking a flight to SFO next year. The screens look very high def.
              Thanks, CarbonMan! I am keen to try the SQ A350 non-stop to SFO too! But before that, I have UA2/1 booked for late Sep, so I will be trying UA Y on this sector first...
              Last edited by yflyer; 9 August 2016, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Nice you got to catch the A350. I've kept missing them on QR & VN to last min equipment swaps.

The PEY recline looks really good in the pic, but still can't get myself to pay for SQ PEY at the prices they want. I'd rather top up and go with TG or the ME3 J.

Comment

Originally posted by dfs24 View Post
                  Nice you got to catch the A350. I've kept missing them on QR & VN to last min equipment swaps.

The PEY recline looks really good in the pic, but still can't get myself to pay for SQ PEY at the prices they want. I'd rather top up and go with TG or the ME3 J.
                  Yes, I was very happy to be able to check out the SQ A350. I haven't tried it long haul, though. That is the real test!

I was also quite impressed by the recline on the PEY seat. I wouldn't really pay much of a premium for PEY either. That said, it is quite a comfortable way to travel! I just wish SQ would improve the catering in PEY. While the hard product is very competitive compared to other PEY products, the catering in PEY seems a little behind what other airlines offer.

Comment

Working...
                  X