No announcement yet.

A Stroll in Shanghai, A Run in Macau

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The next morning, I checked out and headed to the ferry terminal to catch a high speed ferry to HKG for my flight home.

Quite a few high speed catamaran and jetfoil services to Hong Kong...

A helicopter perhaps? Not for today...

The ferry...

Roomy inside...

The ferry ride is about 55 minutes...

On the way, we passed under the Hong Kong - Zhuhai - Macau bridge, a mega engineering project, which includes a 31km section of bridges, which will dramatically cut driving time from Hong Kong to Macau to less than an hour. This is still under construction, but a lot of it does look complete.

More on the bridge here.

Comment

I got off the ferry at Hong Kong Skypier, close to HKG airport.

There are check-in counters there for you to check in for your flight.

You even get a HKD120 (About SGD 22) refund on your airport tax, paid to you in cash!

From there, it is a quick people mover ride to the airside departure area of HKG.

I spent some time in the SQ Silver Kris Lounge, where I relaxed for a while before heading back outside to the airy food court area for a beef brisket noodles and shrimp wonton soup...

Food in the SilverKris Lounge is pretty good, but why eat there when you can get authentic Hong Kong eats elsewhere in the airport?

The wonton soup and beef brisket noodles were second to none...

Comment

I headed to the gate for my flight back to SIN...

My flight was operated by 9V-SRQ, a 13 year old refitted 772.

Regional J cabin, laid out 2-2-2.

Angled lie-flat seats, more than adequate for this short 3.5 hour sector, and superior to the new CX regional J product.

Economy cabin laid out in 9-abreast 3-3-3. A generous layout, in this day and age of 10-abreast 777's, but with the caveat is that the seats are a little hard and not as comfortable as the latest generation SQ Y seats.

Row 44 (Emex row) and the window-side aisle seats on Row 45 have a lot of legroom.

When I checked in, I requested, and received 45H -- an excellent seat.

Hot towels...

Comment

IFE is on large 4:3 format screens. A smaller AVOD selection than on the latest Krisworld, but the system is responsive, and video quality is ok.

Today's lunch menu...

The international selection...

After a period of using cheap looking frosted plastic cups, SQ are now back to using real glass goblets in Y. Fantastic! Thumbs up!

A delicious meal, served with real metal cutlery...

And Haagen Dazs chocolate ice cream for dessert...simple pleasures indeed...

A very comfortable 3+ hour hop from Hong Kong to Singapore...

...arriving in Changi on a clear, hot afternoon.

Comment

Final reflections?

SQ has a great economy product to China and Hong Kong. I could not find anything to fault on either the SIN-PVG or HKG-SIN sector. Granted the refitted 777 is not as good as A380 Y, but it is perfectly good for a 3.5 hour sector, and SQ A380 Y is still a wonderful way to travel, even if the latest SQ Y product on the 77WN is even better.

My first experience on Air Macau was also a positive one. With an all Airbus fleet of 17 narrowbodies, Air Macau is not a large airline, and neither are they affiliated with any major global alliance, but I would not hesitate to fly them to get to Macau if their schedule is the most convenient.

I enjoyed Macau and the Cotai Strip...the run from Taipa to Macau was one of the most interesting I have done, and a route I would not hesitate to repeat. I also found more to see in the old city in Macau than on the Cotai Strip. Why anyone would build a 50% scale Eiffel Tower there also defies logic.

I would also recommend the Hong Kong Skypier and ferry service to get from Macau to Singapore via HKG, if flight and ferry timings allow for it. It is as seamless as a ferry / airline transfer can be.

Thanks for reading!
            Last edited by yflyer; 30 July 2016, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Great report. Last time I was in Macau the Parisian hasn't opened yet. May pop by for a visit next time i'm in the region.

I'm scheduled to be on the refitted series to HK on a couple of trips in September and October later this year. Not been a big fan of the 777-200 but the refits look a lot better than the prior.

The beef brisket you had in HKG looked delicious! Will be going for this when I am there instead of eating in the lounge.

Comment

Originally posted by Mlee888 View Post
                Great report. Last time I was in Macau the Parisian hasn't opened yet. May pop by for a visit next time i'm in the region.

I'm scheduled to be on the refitted series to HK on a couple of trips in September and October later this year. Not been a big fan of the 777-200 but the refits look a lot better than the prior.

The beef brisket you had in HKG looked delicious! Will be going for this when I am there instead of eating in the lounge.
                Thanks, Mlee888! The Parisian still not yet open...I believe they will be opening next month, in September.

Not a big fan of the refits either compared to SQ's newer products, but for a short flight the config is fine, especially if you get one of the emex rows.

Yes, the brisket was excellent!

Comment

You do such great food pics, yflyer. I've to stop reading your TRs, otherwise it'll ruin my diet!!

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                    You do such great food pics, yflyer. I've to stop reading your TRs, otherwise it'll ruin my diet!!
                    Thanks CarbonMan! Since I can't draw or paint, the next best thing to do to satisfy my inner artist is to try and take gorgeous food pics!

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                      Thanks, Mlee888! The Parisian still not yet open...I believe they will be opening next month, in September.

Not a big fan of the refits either compared to SQ's newer products, but for a short flight the config is fine, especially if you get one of the emex rows.

Yes, the brisket was excellent!
                      Just in time for my next visit then.

I have actually just come back from a trip on the refitted regional seats so will find some time to write a report on it.

Thanks for sharing these pics again.

Comment

Originally posted by Mlee888 View Post
                        Just in time for my next visit then.

I have actually just come back from a trip on the refitted regional seats so will find some time to write a report on it.

Thanks for sharing these pics again.
                        Looking forward to your next report, Mlee888!

Comment

Working...
                        X