Jewel Changi Airport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jewel Changi Airport

[17 April 2019 Update: Jewel is now open! Pictures from the Preview on 16 April 2019 can be found here.]

I was at Changi Airport this morning, and was pleased to see that much of the glass exterior of the Jewel was now in place. It is a striking design, which I find quite impressive.

Ever wondered how they install these glass panels? As I drove past, I noticed workers (all with helmets and safety harnesses) at work installing them...

Installing each piece looks to be a fairly quick process, but of course there are many pieces to install (How many, exactly, I wonder).

This looks to be quite an amazing structure, both outside and inside.

While at Changi, I also checked out the new Terminal 4...

While it is not as large as T3, it feels really open and spacious, with a futuristic, space-age vibe to it.

From the level above departures, looking across to T3 and Runway 02L, it is actually possible to see aircraft landing on 02L from inside of T4...(Spot the Airbus in the pic below...)

When I mentioned that I was at the airport, 9V-SIA recommended the T4 foodcourt on the upper level of the airside departure area...it has great ambience and a nice selection of food stalls. At lunch time today, it was very busy...

I think this highlights one interesting characteristic of Changi Airport that makes it unique compared to other major airports around the world: lots of folks who aren't actually travelling go there to eat and shop (And even study...).

When the Jewel opens, judging from what will be on offer there, Changi Airport will probably become even more a destination in its own right.
    Last edited by yflyer; 17 April 2019, 05:46 PM.

Great pics!

Comment

just hope the shoppers will not disrupt the airport for travellers, as we can see now that many people who are not travelling do go down to the airport now for F & B and some selective shopping.

Comment

If Jewel is intended to be a space that connects T1, T2 and T3, won't it's spaces be "airside"? I'd have to say though, that any city's airport that can actually attract people to it that aren't actually flying, is some kind of magical place! Most people around the world use complaints about dealing with, or getting to, their local airport as standard small talk.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
          If Jewel is intended to be a space that connects T1, T2 and T3, won't it's spaces be "airside"? I'd have to say though, that any city's airport that can actually attract people to it that aren't actually flying, is some kind of magical place! Most people around the world use complaints about dealing with, or getting to, their local airport as standard small talk.
          Yes, this is a very Singaporean phenomenan. We get bored easily with the same spaces (that's why our malls have to constantly renovate, same with our terminals, otherwise we stop going). A few years ago, during the worst haze period, the airport was flooded, I do not exagerate, with people from neighbouring suburbs, trying to escape the choking smell to shop and to eat. As the airport is connected via train and bus at relatively low-costs (the Govt insists that that is the case), it is very convenient to get to. With free (or so the masses think) access to a huge indoor waterfall, and air-conditioning , the Jewel will no doubt be a winner.

Even yflyer and one other SQTalker goes there just for meals, despite their regular flying.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
            Yes, this is a very Singaporean phenomenan. We get bored easily with the same spaces (that's why our malls have to constantly renovate, same with our terminals, otherwise we stop going). A few years ago, during the worst haze period, the airport was flooded, I do not exagerate, with people from neighbouring suburbs, trying to escape the choking smell to shop and to eat. As the airport is connected via train and bus at relatively low-costs (the Govt insists that that is the case), it is very convenient to get to. With free (or so the masses think) access to a huge indoor waterfall, and air-conditioning , the Jewel will no doubt be a winner.

Even yflyer and one other SQTalker goes there just for meals, despite their regular flying.
            I'm sure you can understand how bizarre a concept this is for someone in MEL. Still, Changi Airport is one of the things that has established Singapore's reputation around the world in the eyes of many foreigners!

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
              I'm sure you can understand how bizarre a concept this is for someone in MEL. Still, Changi Airport is one of the things that has established Singapore's reputation around the world in the eyes of many foreigners!
              There are some landside shops there that do not charge the 7% GST. Its enough to get some people there.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                There are some landside shops there that do not charge the 7% GST. Its enough to get some people there.
                Ahhhh. OK, that's the missing link! They get to feel like they're "Duty Free Shopping" without having to fly. I knew there had to be one of those psychological hooks involved.

Comment

Changi Airport Group, unlike some other airport operators, is quite profitable. Scrutinizing its accounts (surprisingly detailed annual reports for a company that's not publicly listed) you can see why.

In fiscal year ending March 2017, Airport Services contributed only S$700m of its S$2,305m revenue. The lion's share, S$1,182m, came from Concessions and Rents. Security services and others made up the balance.

And this is before Jewel. I can imagine it will only get more lopsided when Jewel opens, even with the higher airport fees.

There were comments on another thread that travelers are subsidizing shoppers with the higher fees. But numbers seem to suggest the reverse is true.

To put the size of CAG's property operations into perspective, consider the fact that the owner of VivoCity, the largest mall in Singapore, recorded a revenue of only S$201m from the asset the last fiscal year.

Comment

Does anyone (perhaps the locals) know when will the Changi Jewel open for business in 2019??

Comment

Originally posted by chinhk View Post
                      Does anyone (perhaps the locals) know when will the Changi Jewel open for business in 2019??
                      https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...-changis-jewel

Comment

Thanks Reddevil0728 for the link. Shame that I will miss it as my planned trip to Singapore is in early Feb.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                          just hope the shoppers will not disrupt the airport for travellers, as we can see now that many people who are not travelling do go down to the airport now for F & B and some selective shopping.
                          Time will tell if this is a right move to make airport as a secured area vs shopping center.

Comment

I had a careful look of the place walking through T1 arrivals a week or two ago, then again from the taxi heading home...…. whilst it's still dirty now etc. during construction, sorry, but the place is still a mess on the outside.

It is not pleasant to look at.

I just wonder how many drivers will get blinded by sunlight reflection off one of the panels that must surely aim a beam straight down the road. The first photos already give an introduction of what I mean, worse at dusk.

Comment

Yes, still a lot of construction on the exterior. However, the section of the Jewel connected to the T1 arrival area isn't too bad from the inside. I found the arrival experience coming out of T1 quite good.

Comment

Working...
                              X