Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Qatar Airways: A350 Business Class DOH-SIN, 787 Economy DXB-DOH, Al Mourjan J Lounge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kt74 View Post
    Hey there, I just wanted to say thanks for a terrific review, yflyer!

I have AMS-DOH-BKK coming up in a few weeks, on the 787 and A380 in J, and I was a bit reticent because my last LHR-DOH-KUL a couple of years ago was only so-so (great lounge in LHR, but offset by sloping A330/A340 seats and rushed service on full LHR-DOH flights)

...but I'm really looking forward to it now! The new cabins and DOH lounge look awesome

Thanks kt74!

You are in for a great time on your upcoming flights! The 787 J should be near-identical to the A350 J (Unlike 787 Y, which is not as good as A350 Y). I am not familiar with the QR A380 J product, but as it is very new, it should be very good as well!

Comment

Originally posted by jammed View Post
      thank you yflyer for the very detailed TR. Provides good reference as i contemplate QR among the options (including SQ of cos) for a fly into Gulf area in September.
      Thanks, jammed! Glad you found it useful! Lots of choices flying to the Gulf!

Abt the only downside for the otherwise exceptional QR is the remote stand, will you agree? I always find carrying a cabin-trolley up and down stairs quite a pain, given that's my only piece of luggage.
      Well...I generally build a LOT of transit buffer time into my travel plans, mainly for peace of mind in case of unforeseen delays. I usually take MCT and add another hour -- or three. And if I really need to do a tight connection, it will be on the same ticket (i.e. carrier is responsible for the connection). And the connecting flight should not be the last flight of the day to my destination, so in case I miss it, they can put me on the next flight. So I actually don't mind the remote stands too much.

I think if you are on the A350 (Or A380), you may be more likely to get an aerobridge, though. My A350 from SIN to DOH had an aerobridge on arrival.

And I'm disappointed you didnt include your signature Run Report in this TR, couldnt you like run from DOH to SIN for eg, with a few iPhone pics to boot
      Yah, I missed getting outside for a run too. Next time round!
      Last edited by yflyer; 11 August 2015, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
        What a memorable flight…

In terms of J catering and amenities, Qatar is superior by a large margin to J on almost all other airlines I have tried, SQ included. (A question for SQTalk regulars: What other airlines offer such elaborate catering in J?)

Although I did not change into the beautiful set of pyjamas I was given as I was already in casual clothes, if I had been in business attire, I would definitely have changed into QR’s PJ’s for a comfortable rest.

All that said, I personally still prefer SQ’s long haul J seat to QR (And all others) by a small margin. By this I am referring to the 77W/A380 seat, not the newest 77WN J seat, which I have not yet tried. While QR’s seat is excellent, the SQ seat just provides more space and privacy, and at least for me, a larger and more comfortable flip-down bed for sleeping (I don't mind getting up to flip).

In terms of cabin service, QR’s cabin crew were very good overall, but there is still something almost magical about how well SQ’s cabin crew take care of passengers that gives SQ a slight edge.

Thanks for reading!
        Great report! Thanks for taking the effort again!

In terms of catering, I found Saudia to be very good also (though they are dry), and I find NH quite elaborate if you take the Japanese Option. The best quality I got so far onboard was actually JL but the service was painfully slow.

Dessert wise QR, EK and EY are all very good, but I agree QR is definitely leagues ahead of many other carriers in J. Those designer/celebrity chef desserts really got me.

The PJ is something I was also pleasantly surprised by. If you haven tried sleeping in PJ before you should! I used to think casual clothes were fine, but damn after I tried it once, I'd bother changing.

I belong to the CX/QR J gang. I find the SQ J seats while wide, the screen gave me a "in your face" feeling. I'm more of a straight sleeper so maybe that's why. Plus you're kinda facing the window with reverse herringbone. That is something that perhaps makes me prefer the seats.

Service wise, I think SQ has the edge over Singaporeans because we are from the same "background". I've had uninterested QR crew before, but at their price point, I'd take the risk, given that it is a rare occurrence anyway.

Comment

Great TR flyer! Reading your report made me miss the leisure of QR - Their are definitely a great contender in the airline industry! I wouldn't hesitate myself to use them again either Y or J class. You're definitely one lucky passenger for getting an upgrade to enjoy the A350 back to SIN with a touch of class.. hehe

Comment

Great TR report as usual, yflyer! I see that they stocked up my favorite bath & toiletries brand there - Rituals!

Comment

Originally posted by Hajimbo View Post
              Great TR flyer! Reading your report made me miss the leisure of QR - Their are definitely a great contender in the airline industry! I wouldn't hesitate myself to use them again either Y or J class. You're definitely one lucky passenger for getting an upgrade to enjoy the A350 back to SIN with a touch of class.. hehe
              Thanks, Hajimbo! Yes, the op-up was a very pleasant surprise! Perfect way to end a long week.

Comment

Originally posted by schumaster View Post
                Great TR report as usual, yflyer! I see that they stocked up my favorite bath & toiletries brand there - Rituals!
                Thanks, schumaster! Must admit this was the first time I've encountered Rituals, either in the air or on the ground...
                Last edited by yflyer; 12 August 2015, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dfs24 View Post
                  Great report! Thanks for taking the effort again!
                  Thanks, dfs24!

In terms of catering, I found Saudia to be very good also (though they are dry), and I find NH quite elaborate if you take the Japanese Option. The best quality I got so far onboard was actually JL but the service was painfully slow.
                  I've not tried Saudia, but good to know their catering is good. I think Arabic/Middle Eastern cuisine should work quite well inflight in general. On the other hand, I'm not particularly keen to fly a dry airline...

I've not flown NH or JL in J, but I've always thought their catering looked really good...

If you haven tried sleeping in PJ before you should! I used to think casual clothes were fine, but damn after I tried it once, I'd bother changing.
                  I am a believer in comfortable clothes for sleeping on planes! Yes, on a longer flight I would have changed into PJ's (Not that I am on flights where they hand out PJ's often...haha...maybe next time I am in Y, I will pull out the QR PJ's and change...).

But I do have a red-eye sleep ritual: Empty my pockets (lock wallet/passport in my bag), take off my belt, take off shoes, wear sockettes, put on eye-shades. After that, and a gin&tonic, sleeping is possible, even in Y.
                  Last edited by yflyer; 12 August 2015, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X