Krug - Which Duty-Free?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Krug - Which Duty-Free?

I'd like to celebrates my dad's 60th with two bottles of Krug...and I need some advice on where to buy them. I'll be coming through BHX, ZRH, DUS, STR, and FRA before getting into LAD. Possibly MUC, too.

I've found to my surprise that Krug is a lot cheaper in BHX than ZRH (GBP92 vs CHF249) but I'm not sure whether I can actually buy some in DUS, STR, or FRA? Last time I was in FRA, they didn't sell any...

Does anybody know whether I can buy Krug at a duty-free in any of these German airports and what the going rates are? Thanks for the help!!
    /Desert Traveller

I have the pricelist duty free booklet 2008/2009 for Frankfurt airport, and I don't see Krug listed in there. Dom Perignon is 120 Euro.

Comment

Originally posted by Desert Traveller View Post
      I've found to my surprise that Krug is a lot cheaper in BHX than ZRH (GBP92 vs CHF249) but I'm not sure whether I can actually buy some in DUS, STR, or FRA? Last time I was in FRA, they didn't sell any...

Does anybody know whether I can buy Krug at a duty-free in any of these German airports and what the going rates are? Thanks for the help!!
      I *think* (but will be able to verify this weekend) that it's cheaper than GBP92 at a location not so far from you Desert Traveller,...Costco Wholesale in Derby! Dom and Cristal at Costco always used to undercut most duty free prices I'd seen in the past. Will try to pop along this weekend and let you know. Their stock and prices vary, so not always reliable (think they stock VC Grand Dame too). If the prices are favourable I can get them on your behalf if you're not a member.

I suppose the difficulty might be if you're travelling overseas to see your father (i.e. duty free would be ok, but 2 bottles of champagne will fall foul of LAG restrictions), but if you're checking in luggage then should be no problem.

Comment

Thanks for the update, SQ LPP. I thought as much. Looks like Germany doesn't like Krug.

nickbot, thanks for your offer! I've heard about Costco, but I'm not a member. I just don't shop enough. If they do have 'cheap' Krug, I'd take you up on your offer.
        I'd love to travel without checked luggage, to avoid the zoo at LAD luggage collection since I'm getting two implants two days before flying out there. But I'd have to bet everything on STR having Krug, and I seem to remember that they don't. Plus I'm sure my parents are gonna make me max out my luggage allowance.
        I'm flying out to Germany to see my dentists on 12 November and will then fly on to LAD on 16 November (got my SEN Premium Award confirmed today , tix to LAD are ridiculously priced), so no rush. Just let me know once you've had the chance to visit Costco. Thanks again for your help.
        /Desert Traveller

Comment

Just visited Costco this weekend Desert Traveller and can confirm the following prices:
          • Krug Grande Cuvee £82.23 including VAT
          • Dom Perignon 1999 £68.09 including VAT

I asked, and they have plenty in stock. Ok, only a £10 saving over the BHX price, so you might be able to get it cheaper at another duty free, but pretty confident this is the cheapest high street price in the UK. PM me if you'd like me to source it for you

Comment

[QUOTE=nickbot;71707]Just visited Costco this weekend

I asked, and they have plenty in stock.

with no mileage accrual on your credit card or bmi credit or tesco points

Comment

Originally posted by SQFM View Post
              Originally posted by nickbot View Post
              Just visited Costco this weekend

I asked, and they have plenty in stock.
              with no mileage accrual on your credit card or bmi credit...
              Taking the example of Krug at BHX, at a price of £92, one would obviously have to take a balanced choice when considering such a purchase SQFM; to me, a saving of £10 over the next best price would probably outweigh the 138 (1.5 x) or 184 (2 x) miles one would earn on a BD Amex for example. Desert Traveller would then not need to cart two bottles of champagne around with him on his travels (this might be a factor in his decision).

Originally posted by SQFM
              ...or tesco points
              Tesco points are irrelevant in this case unless you're using a Tesco credit card at duty free, as Tesco don't (to my knowledge, from my local stores) sell Krug. Tesco do sell Dom Perignon for circa £95 in store, so in that case one would be paying an additional £27 odd over the Costco price for a relatively small number of miles.

Sure, I'm a firm believer in the "every little helps" philosophy in terms of mileage accrual, but when faced with such a blatant cash saving you would be better off buying your miles direct from BD, even when shouldering the proportionally large hit of a service charge for a small transaction. For example, £12 plus the £15 service charge = £27 (in the ballpark of the Dom example) would buy you 1,000 BD miles which is a hell of a lot more than the sub 200 miles you'd earn by buying the Dom direct from Tesco
              Last edited by nickbot; 14 October 2008, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nickbot
                Tesco don't (to my knowledge, from my local stores) sell Krug
                Hate to muddy the waters, but my local tesco has Krug Grand Cuvee, a shade over £105 per bottle....
                thank goodness for Changi T3 duty free is all I'm saying.....andI qualified as KF Silver on that trip......8,500 miles..........sure beats Tesco points on it....
                If God had really intended men to fly, he'd make it easier to get to the airport.

Comment

Originally posted by Javaman View Post
                  Hate to muddy the waters, but my local tesco has Krug Grand Cuvee, a shade over £105 per bottle....
                  thank goodness for Changi T3 duty free is all I'm saying.....andI qualified as KF Silver on that trip......8,500 miles..........sure beats Tesco points on it....
                  Interesting to hear Javaman -perhaps the demographic of your local Tesco is more affluent than mine lol £105 is v.expensive!

Comment

Thank you very much for having a look for me, nickbot. Very much appreciated.

My local Sainsbury's stocks Dom, can't remember the exact price and vintage though. In the high GBP90s or thereabouts. Delilah in Notts has some 98 Dom for around GBP92.

And I agree with nickbot, the cash advantage outweighs all other considerations. Since I only qualify for an AMEX Plat charge card in the UK but not a Hilton or Marriott credit card, I only collect AMEX MR points. And they're valued at GBP0.005 per point at the AMEX travel agency. So not really worth spending more cash, SQFM.
                    Carrying around two bottles is also not a factor, since I don't think I can buy Krug onroute. We've already established that FRA doesn't stock it, and I'm not willing to take a chance on STR.
                    I also doubt that there's any DUS (same free shop operator as in FRA), but I'll check that next weekend. nickbot, I'll pm you when I'm back from that trip.
                    Last edited by Desert Traveller; 16 October 2008, 01:07 AM. Reason: grammar
                    /Desert Traveller

Comment

Not a problem Desert Traveller, safe trip

Comment

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
                        your local Tesco is more affluent than mine lol £105 is v.expensive!

"we are considerably richer than yow!"
                        Let's face it, £105 is frightfully expensive for bubbly.
                        Though how many yokels from provincial Manchester would dump mega-cash on SQ J and consider almost 3 figures on a bottle of whisky acceptable?
                        I just inhabit an alternate reality.
                        If God had really intended men to fly, he'd make it easier to get to the airport.

Comment

As expected, there's no Krug available in DUS. Just missed flights.

nickbot, I'll take you up on your offer.
                          /Desert Traveller

Comment

Does anyone know the going price of Krug in NRT Duty Free vs. the stores in Singapore?
                            HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                              Does anyone know the going price of Krug in NRT Duty Free vs. the stores in Singapore?
                              Thank You. I accept this gift when you come

Comment

Working...
                              X