LHR T5: After the Launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by penncare View Post
    I think it is because she is (was) a Premier customer. Their bags are carefully monitored to ensure they make all of the flights.
    Welcome to SQTalk, penncare. Are you Penn graduate? Medical school?
    Anyhow, reading her stories in those free papers in the morning while commuting, I certainly agree with BA in this case. Hmm there are many more celebrities who are humble and courteous.

Comment

Hmm... quite a number of people will be booked LHR-VIE in Sept. I know the T4 to T5 move only affects long hauls, but if the luggage system goes skits again all T5 flights will be affected?

Maybe I need to strategise on ways to go for 2 weeks on hand luggage only. There goes that plan to shop for Bliss amenities.

But let's hope this stays a rumour.
      Last edited by KeithMEL; 10 April 2008, 10:22 PM.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I know I am going out of topic here, but while reading all the post from this thread, I can't help but to wonder if it was all co-incidental?

Escalators and elevators not working, luggage delivery system not working? Security checkpoint not working? Car park access for employees not working? ALL in the same day and all malfunctioning mysteriously?? What are the chances of that happening?

Does anyone here think that this was some sneaky plans by people who are not particularly happy?

ps: if it is gonna get political, and if the talks of politics are frowned upon in this forum, by all means, lets not get there and just ignore this post...

Comment

KeithMEL, there's always LCY. OS flies LCY-VIE

Comment

BA postpones long-haul move to T5

What a country we live in...

British Airways has delayed moving most of its long-haul flights to Heathrow's new Terminal 5 until June.

"It is only sensible to ensure that Terminal 5 is operating consistently at a high standard before the move begins," said BA boss Willie Walsh.

The new £4.3bn terminal has been plagued by problems, especially with its baggage handling, since it opened.

Almost all of BA's long-haul flights were supposed to switch from Terminal 4 to Terminal 5 on 30 April.

Sixty arrivals and 60 departures per day were due to be moved.

Customers whose terminal has been changed will be contacted shortly, a joint statement from BA and the airport operator BAA said.

BAA said that a normal flight schedule had been operating at Terminal 5 since Tuesday.

But its chief executive Colin Matthews conceded that, "BAA fully recognises that the inauguration of Terminal Five has not been as smooth as we and BA would have wished."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7342263.stm

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
              What a country we live in...
              I agree it makes a rather sad statement about the country, given how many people see BA and Heathrow as emblematic of how things are in the UK.

I don't think BA really had a choice, if they wanted to avoid a similar fiasco. But I hope (though I may be deluded) that a proper investigation is going on to root out those responsible for the fiasco in the first place and put some real contingency planning into place.

IMHO, breaking BAA's stranglehold would be a big start.
              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                I agree it makes a rather sad statement about the country, given how many people see BA and Heathrow as emblematic of how things are in the UK.
                I'm afraid it gives a true refection of the place to be honest. Look at the farce that was the rebuilding of Wembley Stadium, the West Coast main line the ever spiralling cost of the Olympics...the list is endless..

Arrange these words in the correct order; P*ss-up-Brewery-a-Couldn't-in-organise-a

Comment

Must admit I am quite relieved that my first experience of T5 has been pushed back. Although initially I was really looking forward to trying it out at the begining of May as the horror stories continued I was starting to dread it more and more.

Comment

Don't believe all that you read!

My second experience through T5 today. I arrived at around 7pm today (Friday).

There were no long queues visible at check-in/the bag drops. The departure area DID feel airy, bright and spacious.

Security (I used the south security) was a slight disappointment - whilst the Fastrack was policed (apparently), it was still quite long and took 15 minutes to clear. Laptops remained in, shoes off.

My flight 8:15pm flight to CDG has been delayed for about an hour.

I tried asking at Plane Food but they said that I had to wait 15 minutes for a table.

Sod that so I went off to Galleries First. I had some of the hot food in the refectory (e.g. beef and ale pies, sausages and mash, leek tarts etc - I'll post the menu later) washed down with some fizz. I sat on the "outdoor" terrace for a while (empty except someone sleeping) and went back inside to use the free wifi.

This lounge really is quite pleasant (better than BA's other ones at LHR/LGW with the exception of the T5 CCR which I haven't visited yet).

My flight is showing boarding!

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                      Don't believe all that you read!
                      Security (I used the south security) was a slight disappointment - whilst the Fastrack was policed (apparently), it was still quite long and took 15 minutes to clear. Laptops remained in, shoes off.

I tried asking at Plane Food but they said that I had to wait 15 minutes for a table.

Sod that so I went off to Galleries First. I had some of the hot food in the refectory (e.g. beef and ale pies, sausages and mash, leek tarts etc - I'll post the menu later) washed down with some fizz.
                      I've been in and out of T5 twice now. First time the "ten minute security" took 26 minutes, second timne a far more suitable six minutes.

Where is the FarceTrack? I admit to only using the South security point so far. The photo taking for domestic pax is a joke - it just adds yet more delay. LGW North terminal manages it in a snap (pun not intended).

Plane Food: I love it!!! Had the best full monty breakfast ever in an airport there, and the best pot of tea. Also had a very long lunch there last Sunday - my plane was delayed a total of three hours. It's not Michelin, but it is good. Every thing can be prepared in eight minutes. More details here and here.

Very surprised you had a wait - it's been empty the two occasions I used it.

Here's me with Head Chef Nathan Johnson in the kitchen at Plane Food:

Cheers, Howard

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Long View Post
                        Where is the FarceTrack? I admit to only using the South security point so far.
                        It's on the right hand side after you go through the passport/visa check.

Comment

I had a chance to try T5 this weekend (sadly, not the lounges), and it's a huge improvement over the other terminals where BA operates. But that wasn't too hard, was it?

The main impediment to swift journeys are, as before, the clueless passengers. One woman did not seem to know that her stroller couldn't just be pushed through the machine, or that she had to remove her bling, jacket and other such accoutrements before walking through. (It was rather touching to see a rugby fan from South Africa protest at the directive that he deflate his rugby ball [is that what it's called?] because the BAA x-ray zombie needed to make sure nothing was in it. . Yes, SQ LPP, he was very cute. )

I do think the signage can be improved. One of the things I've always liked about Changi is that the designers put the signs in place, keeping lost passengers in mind. They knew that such passengers needed signs every few meters as reassurance, and needed arrows to supplement such signs.

I entered through the left-most entrance. IME, if you print out your BP, your chances of 'flowing through' right to the middle of the SSCI machines and then looking around for where you're supposed to go next are considerably higher. The big sign about 'Departures' in the checkin area, for example, did not have an arrow to show in which direction you were supposed to walk. If this were Changi, I have a feeling you would have been greeted at the SSCI machine with a sign with something like: "If you have luggage to check in, please proceed this way. For hand luggage only, please proceed this way."

If you were to follow the signs to the (South?) lounges from that lefthand security checkpoint, you would proceed all the way to the Concorde Lounge before realizing you went too far. Why? Because the sign indicating that you should use the escalators down to the entrance of said lounges isn't visible (if you've been distracted by the shops) until you turn around from the Concorde Lounge to re-trace your steps.

These are, admittedly, the impressions of a pax hurriedly looking for the lounge because he was detained at security (between 15-20 minutes!) by infrequent travellers. Maybe the experience would have been better if I had more time to focus slowly and more properly.

Not a big deal, really. I'm looking forward to my next use (hello, shops).*

*But I still ain't trusting T5 with any checked luggage.
                          Last edited by jjpb3; 21 April 2008, 12:29 AM.

Comment

I entered through the left-most entrance.
                            That'll be security north. I read that the other entrance should be quieter because most people arriving on the HEX etc will go to security north which is nearby rather than walk down to the other end (where the F check-in area and security south are located).

If you were to follow the signs to the (South?) lounges from that lefthand security checkpoint, you would proceed all the way to the Concorde Lounge before realizing you went too far. Why? Because the sign indicating that you should use the escalators down to the entrance of said lounges isn't visible (if you've been distracted by the shops) until you turn around from the Concorde Lounge to re-trace your steps.
                            If in CE and not an OW emerald, you actually need to use the Galleries nearest the north security (i.e. on the same level as departures) because (AFAIK) the one in the south lounge complex (containing also the First lounge and the CCR) is currently shut.

Comment

That'll be security north. I read that the other entrance should be quieter because most people arriving on the HEX etc will go to security north which is nearby rather than walk down to the other end (where the F check-in area and security south are located).
                              A natural response for travellers, no? Was there any visible attempt to manage that flow? I'll give you one guess.
                              If in CE and not an OW emerald, you actually need to use the Galleries nearest the north security (i.e. on the same level as departures) because (AFAIK) the one in the south lounge complex (containing also the First lounge and the CCR) is currently shut.
                              About which there was no visible sign whatsoever. Fortunately, I had no time to explore the lounges. I sought out the one that was closer to my departure gate, but realized I didn't even have time for that.
                              Last edited by jjpb3; 23 April 2008, 05:48 PM.

Comment

(It was rather touching to see a rugby fan from South Africa protest at the directive that he deflate his rugby ball [is that what it's called?] because the BAA x-ray zombie needed to make sure nothing was in it. .
                                You not kidding?

Comment

Working...
                                X