A380 - Master Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by feb01mel View Post
    I just heard from SQ yesterday that from the delivery of the 11th A380 aircraft onwards, the entire upper deck will be fitted with J class, meaning, no more 88 Y class seats on upper deck.

The reason is the J class is very popular, with regards to the next new destination after Hong Kong, it is still unknown at the moment. Just heard that US airports are still not ready for A380, so we can rule out LAX, JFK & SFO for the moment.
    weren't EK flying their A380 to JFK? How can it not be ready?

Comment

I just heard from SQ yesterday that from the delivery of the 11th A380 aircraft onwards, the entire upper deck will be fitted with J class, meaning, no more 88 Y class seats on upper deck.
      I can confirm that this had been under consideration. I don't know what was decided.

Originally posted by feb01mel View Post
      The reason is the J class is very popular, with regards to the next new destination after Hong Kong, it is still unknown at the moment. Just heard that US airports are still not ready for A380, so we can rule out LAX, JFK & SFO for the moment.
      This is definitely not true. I have seen WhaleJets in operational service at LAX (QF) and JFK (EK). SFO is also WhaleJet-ready.

Comment

If these 2 snippets came from your source. I would take it with a pinch of salt.

Comment

• I'm also skeptical about the assertion that SQ have not yet decided the next WhaleJet destination. They now have eight WhaleJets and operate routes requiring seven available. 9V-SKI will be delivered this month and 9V-SKJ should be delivered next month. It would be very odd if SQ have not yet decided what to do with them, though it's conceivable that SQ may have two alternative plans and they are waiting as long as possible to see where the markets are going before choosing.

Given recent loads, it would be surprising if SQ were to decide to fit more Business Class seats though, again, that option is known to have been under consideration. I suppose it depends primarily on SQ's expectations about the future.

Comment

• Is it possible SQ will get some of their A380's earlier than expected with the recent news, both Thai and BA have delayed their A380 orders?

SQ238.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ238 View Post
              Is it possible SQ will get some of their A380's earlier than expected with the recent news, both Thai and BA have delayed their A380 orders?
              That would depend on how much Airbus were willing to pay SQ to take them early.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ238 View Post
                Is it possible SQ will get some of their A380's earlier than expected with the recent news, both Thai and BA have delayed their A380 orders?

SQ238.
                While it's possible that SQ will be offered the slots, I would think that LH will be more interested in getting those slots.

There has also been some rumours through the grapevine about CX taking 10 388s off EK so those slots might go to CX.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                  I would think that LH will be more interested in getting those slots.
                  LH is one of the companies which recently deferred their WhaleJet deliveries.

Comment

• Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                    LH is one of the companies which recently deferred their WhaleJet deliveries.
                    LH? I didn't see any announcements regarding LH deferring the 388. AFAIK, they are still firmly committed to the 388 deliveries - Link.

Comment

LH? I didn't see any announcements regarding LH deferring the 388.
                      Yes, LH deferred.
                      http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...0414-a6ab.html

Comment

• Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                        Isn't that only the 2 that were supposed to be delivered this year but has since been pushed to 2010?

Comment

Isn't that only the 2 that were supposed to be delivered this year but has since been pushed to 2010?
                          Whether LH deferred all 15 or only some of them, any deferral is strong evidence that they don't want earlier delivery.

Only a little more than a year ago, Airbus were planning to delivery 45 WhaleJets in 2010. Now it's looking like not more than 18. The reason has nothing to do with the past production problems. The reason is that the airlines don't want VLAs right now. They are waiting for better economic times.

Comment

• SQ to fly A380 to Melbourne wef 29 Sep 2009

It has been announced officially : SQ to fly A380 to Melbourne wef 29 Sep 2009 (SQ227 & SQ228).

See separate thread for press release.

Comment

• Now that MEL has been confirmed as the next WhaleJet destination, what's after MEL? We probably need to wait for SKK in Jan 2010 which give us a few months to book F/C seats before upgauge. The question is: which route is more likely to be next?

Comment

• Originally posted by TerryK View Post
                                Now that MEL has been confirmed as the next WhaleJet destination, what's after MEL? We probably need to wait for SKK in Jan 2010 which give us a few months to book F/C seats before upgauge. The question is: which route is more likely to be next?
                                My guesses are: 2nd SYD, 3rd LHR, or FRA.

Comment

Working...
                                X