A380 - Master Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
    I would have thought it would have been in airbus interest to get a move on and get the aircraft delivered ASAP. Personally it seems a long time. But im not really an expert in the subject.
    The situation is more complicated. Given the size of the order backlog (nearly 200) and the rate at which new orders are coming in (averaging about 20 per year over the last 8 years), there is an optimal number to produce per year. I guess that's probably between 24 and 30. Increasing the rate means the fixed production assets are better utilized. It also may possibly result in more sales due to increased availability of production slots. However, Airbus risk burning through their order backlog and having to close the line before 2020. Also, it is very inefficient to repeatedly increase and decrease the production rate because losing experienced labour and then having to train new workers is costly. Clearly the 10 to 12 per year that we've seen recently is too few. The current year's production of 18 to 20 is also, in my opinion, too few. However, these low numbers have been due primarily to airlines deferring delivery and secondarily to production problems. The production line has a theoretical maximum capacity of 45 per year. It's clear that there have not been enough orders to justify such a rate. Airbus have claimed that they plan to get the rate up to 3 per month by the end of 2011 which, in my opinion, is about the limit of plausibility.

Based on the convoys so far this year and the short-term demand from the airlines to fulfill orders, I'm expecting 24 to 28 deliveries in 2011 and slightly more in 2012. Anyway, SQ's last WhaleJet is currently scheduled for delivery in January 2012.

Most airlines in the market for VLAs seem to be waiting for Boeing's immanent announcement regarding the future of the 777-300ER. We may see a new round of WhaleJet orders next year if airlines are disappointed with the Boeing announcement and that might justify a production rate of 36 WhaleJets per year.
    Last edited by zvezda; 2 October 2010, 08:28 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• That makes sense. Thanks for your input

Comment

• Poor experiences with A380

Just returned from a trip to SIN, outbound on KB and return on KD. Outbound the aircraft was looking much the worse for wear. UD window 74A, the lockers wouldn't close without putting books on top to keep them shut, footrest wouldn't budge and about 3hrs out of SIN my AVOD died. Couldn't restart it and no offer of a seat change.

Coming home last night, 34D has to be one of the coldest seats I've ever sat in. Cold air quietly blowing on us all night, I was frozen by the time we reached MEL. Plus one very unfriendly Lead crew member made for a quite unpleasant experience.

Neither experience what I've come to enjoy about SQ.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dobson73 View Post
          Just returned from a trip to SIN, outbound on KB and return on KD. Outbound the aircraft was looking much the worse for wear. UD window 74A, the lockers wouldn't close without putting books on top to keep them shut, footrest wouldn't budge and about 3hrs out of SIN my AVOD died. Couldn't restart it and no offer of a seat change.

Coming home last night, 34D has to be one of the coldest seats I've ever sat in. Cold air quietly blowing on us all night, I was frozen by the time we reached MEL. Plus one very unfriendly Lead crew member made for a quite unpleasant experience.

Exactly reasons why the 744 needs to leave the fleet ASAP. It's great for a few on here to be sad to see the old bird leave, but for the large majority they want a working seat, IFE and a new interior.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyBoy View Post
            Exactly reasons why the 744 needs to leave the fleet ASAP. It's great for a few on here to be sad to see the old bird leave, but for the large majority they want a working seat, IFE and a new interior.
            Dobson73's experience was on an A380. Not 744.
            F all the way. Settle for J. Usually whY. Sigh.

Comment

Write in to SQ, tell them about how your IFE died on you, and ask for the customer care in-flight duty free voucher. Onboard, if that happens, and if you are not offered a seat change, it is logical that the airline compensates you.

On the leading cabin crew who is unfriendly, write in as well, the ward leader will either warn them or penalise them with demerit points.

Comment

• 9V-SKN reportedly had her roll-out at TLS today. This month should hopefully see some ground tests, low speed and high speed taxi tests, a rejected take-off test, at least one test flight, and transfer to Finkenwerder.

Comment

• Originally posted by feb01mel View Post
                  Write in to SQ, tell them about how your IFE died on you, and ask for the customer care in-flight duty free voucher. Onboard, if that happens, and if you are not offered a seat change, it is logical that the airline compensates you.

On the leading cabin crew who is unfriendly, write in as well, the ward leader will either warn them or penalise them with demerit points.
                  Need customer to write in is bad.
                  This also a indication of aircraft if lack of maintenance and have problem fix up asap.

Comment

• 9V-SKO (#15 of 19)

Parts for 9V-SKO have reportedly been spotted on a barge headed to meet the convoy which will depart next Monday, the 11th, and arrive at TLS on Thursday, the 14th. Based on past performance, delivery has typically been about a year later. With production performance improving, it should be possible for 9V-SKO to be delivered in Q3 CY 2011 -- probably in the second half of the quarter -- in accordance with the latest revised schedule.

ps: Parts are known to have been built for all but the last (19th) WhaleJet, which is presently scheduled to be delivered in January 2011. With nearly everyone else -- especially EK -- deferring orders, it should not be a huge challenge to complete SQ's remaining WhaleJets without further schedule slippage.

Comment

• Originally posted by cscs1956 View Post
                      This also a indication of aircraft if lack of maintenance and have problem fix up asap.
                      Yay, Mr Maintenance is back.

Not sure why you didn't have the word in your handle.....

Comment

• 9V-SKN

Here is what I believe to be the first public photo of 9V-SKN following her rollout. Delivery is looking like probably April or May.
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/curufin...ne/5059395804/

Comment

• Oh, this thread is no longer a "sticky".
                          Is this because the A380 is less newsworthy these days?
                          F all the way. Settle for J. Usually whY. Sigh.

Comment

• 9V-SKO (#15 of 19)

Most of the major pieces for 9V-SKO are now being convoyed to TLS for body join and final assembly. Delivery is about a year away. 9V-SKP, 9V-SKQ, 9V-SKR, and 9V-SKS should follow over the next few months.

Comment

• MAS A380 configuration

Compare and contrast...

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/as...0-seating.html

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                                Yay, Mr Maintenance is back.

Not sure why you didn't have the word in your handle.....
                                Just look at some of those 747 flying by UA or other Smerican airline. They are much older then the SQ one but all in good working condition.

This related to how a company runs, and how fast the maintenance team works to fix up what we "call" small issues!

Spoken to mny SQ staff. They always suggest customer to write in and complain. Very bad projection of company image.

Comment

Working...
                                X