Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far for a security search?

Hi there,

I have just been given a "pat down" search in Frankfurt airport...

Now I have to ask, is it normal to have your genitals touched as part of a search?

I complained to the management, they report that yes, under a new directive from the USA that this is required...

It has never happened to me in any other airport and to be honest I feel rather violated...

Surely such an invasion of privacy is not necessary for security risk assessment.

To be honest I am just happy to be getting onto my flight and getting out of this airport.

Thoughts?

Dr G

And I thought I was the only one...

I was wearing my metal-detector-safe belt the other day at LHR T1. The machine didn't beep, but the security goon saw my belt, made me take it off and ran his hands all around down the inside of my jeans. My traveling companions had a right laugh about it, saying I set off his gaydar.

Comment

Having your privates cupped is apparently a specialty at FRA - I remember posts on TOF about this before (but have never had that thrill myself...).

Comment

e.g.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...f-you-can.html
        http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...e-12-21-a.html

Comment

Old news at FRA I'm afraid.

Comment

Hmmm.

Just to add to the fun, after I complained that I did not appreciated having my penis cupped, I asked to speak to the supervisor.
            At this point the male staff member told me to sit down, take off my shoes and wait.
            As he lent down to take my shoes he asked in a sarcastic voice if I would like a cocktail while I waited.
            Needless to say that he was very quick to deny this when the senior manager was called down and to the two police officers who attended.
            Sadly my german is pretty poor but I gather that they were saying "well he said this, and the other guy said this and we can not tell what is truth".

Formal letter of complaint has been sent tho I gather that very little will happen.
            I have to say I am confused as to why the USA would ask for FRA to touch peoples genitals despite not doing it in thier own country.

On a different note, the "senators" lounge sucks so now I have two reasons to never fly through FRA again.

Ho hum

I will post the reply from FRA management if I ever receive one.

DR G

Comment

...and it was all in the name of liberty...
              unfortunately the USA are not the only ones who have become a little loony in the past few years- the Germans are catching up pretty quickly
              Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Originally posted by up and away View Post
                ...and it was all in the name of liberty...
                unfortunately the USA are not the only ones who have become a little loony in the past few years- the Germans are catching up pretty quickly
                In the spirit of this thread, though, I've yet to experience that kind of looniness (i.e., crotch-grabbing) in the US. Have you?
                ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                  In the spirit of this thread, though, I've yet to experience that kind of looniness (i.e., crotch-grabbing) in the US. Have you?
                  No, I meant the general "privacy-is-dangerous"-attitude that can be found in many people who are in charge of airline safety

Comment

I've yet to have my crotch groped at FRA, but have experienced body searches that I'd personally deem highly intrusive. My last time through FRA, the lady in front of me was quite clearly embarassed by the body search - she looked to a few of us seemingly in search of some sympathy, giggled nervously and went... "feels very much like a come-on." Quite!
                    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Although I have to say that this is not a funny matter at all, I really had a good laugh about some comments here

Definitely, security-wise, Frankfurt is a horrid place. My genitals were never ever groped on any airport in the world, thus also not in Frankfurt. My problem with the airport is that once you beep, they search you in those tiny boxes whilst you are not allowed to pack together the things that went thru X-Ray. Now imagine taking out your laptop for the X-Ray machine, you get searched while it openly lies around for anybody to grab. That's just insane...
                      Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Originally posted by flo View Post
                        Although I have to say that this is not a funny matter at all, I really had a good laugh about some comments here
                        Yeah, but where else but SQT would you find such a discussion?
                        HUGE AL

Comment

Can't say I ever got groped going through FRA. I wonder if these things are happening in other German airports as well, or is this isolated to FRA?, otherwise chalk another one up for MUC, which is now getting to be my preferred German airport.

Comment

Being a frequent flier through FRA, I've never had the experience and never wish to be groped.

But there were two instances where I was told that "I have been randomly chosen" (how can you choose randomly? It's like giving a free gift..) to have my laptop tested for explosives - they took a swab off the cover and another off the keyboard, put it in a tube, chucked it in a machine that looked like Willy Wonka's assembly line - various beeps, and various multicoloured LEDs later I was all clear to go.

The two times that happened, the theme song of Willy Wonka was playing in my head...

Willy Wonka, Willy Wonka, the amazing chocolatier
                            Willy Wonka, Willy Wonka, everybody give a cheer

LOL

Comment

Originally posted by leo View Post
                              chucked it in a machine that looked like Willy Wonka's assembly line

Comment

Working...
                              X