SQ B777 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hybridace101 View Post
    Isn't Boeing still open to producing 772s or 77Es for customers who want it? The 77E especially seems advantageous to those who want to go long-haul but think traffic will be thinner on such routes.
    The last pax 772; a 77L; was delivered back in 2014. Since then the only 772s built were 77F. Boeing's order book has no more pax 772 to date.
    The last 77E even further back.... Some 5 years ago.

I doubt anybody wants a new 77E today. The A359's efficiency kills it.

Comment

Isn't Boeing still open to producing 772s or 77Es for customers who want it? The 77E especially seems advantageous to those who want to go long-haul but think traffic will be thinner on such routes.
      I don't think Boeing produces the passenger 777-200 anymore, it's all freighters now for the -200 variant.

For those long-haul flights with thinner traffic, Boeing has the 787-8 and 787-9. For example, American Airlines will completely replace their Boeing 777-200ERs with the 787-9.

Comment

• In other words, Boeing has stopped offering the 77E, am I right? And does this mean that the only ones in the passenger 777 line they continue to offer are the 77W and the upcoming 777-9X?

Comment

• Any guesses how long it will be until the 773’s are replaced by 787’s on the CGK route? Or do we think the 773’s still have many years on the CGK route?

Comment

• Originally posted by Short Final View Post
            Any guesses how long it will be until the 773’s are replaced by 787’s on the CGK route? Or do we think the 773’s still have many years on the CGK route?
            My guess is F plays a role in CGK, so my bet would be on a mix of 77W and 78J eventually taking over the route, sort of similar to what is happening in MNL

Comment

In other words, Boeing has stopped offering the 77E, am I right? And does this mean that the only ones in the passenger 777 line they continue to offer are the 77W and the upcoming 777-9X?
              Minor correction. They also offer the new 777-8X which is supposed to ULR for 777

Comment

• Doesn't the 787 have a ULR variant? If so, what's the point for the -8X series?

Comment

Doesn't the 787 have a ULR variant? If so, what's the point for the -8X series?
                  I think we are digressing from the thread. I am not an expert at Boeing aircraft but I have not heard of a 787 ULR

Comment

• Originally posted by hviswanathan View Post
                    I think we are digressing from the thread. I am not an expert at Boeing aircraft but I have not heard of a 787 ULR
                    Neither have I heard of a 787 ULR. Having said that, there are airlines that uses the 787-9 for ULR missions today, albeit with a payload “penalty”. Most notable of such flights are UA’s SIN-SFO and SIN-LAX vv as well as QF’s PER-LHR leg.

But I agree with hviswanathan that we are digressing from this thread...

Comment

• The 77W has very similar operating costs as the 777-200 so it didn't make sense for airlines to purchase the smaller version. That is why it stopped, the 77W killed it.

Comment

• So does that mean if carriers fill up a 77W with just as many passengers as a 77E can carry, it wouldn't be inefficient for them to do that?

Comment

So does that mean if carriers fill up a 77W with just as many passengers as a 77E can carry, it wouldn't be inefficient for them to do that?
                          Pretty much. It costs about the same to fly both 77W & 77W.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spaniard View Post
                            My guess is F plays a role in CGK, so my bet would be on a mix of 77W and 78J eventually taking over the route, sort of similar to what is happening in MNL
                            That's a very smart guess, actually.

Rather than bother having a regional fleet with F, just assign a few of the CGK flights to 77W, which they can achieve during longhaul gaps, and cover the rest of the flights with higher capacity 78Js.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                              That's a very smart guess, actually.

Rather than bother having a regional fleet with F, just assign a few of the CGK flights to 77W, which they can achieve during longhaul gaps, and cover the rest of the flights with higher capacity 78Js.
                              Agreed on this one, as 77W offers a much better product, but I can see that A350 regional should be in place too as they have more premium seats and less economy seats compared to the 78J, which makes sense as CGK is a premium market for SQ.

Comment

• sounds costly to be operating the 77W to CGK on a regular basis.... landing fees based on the higher MTOW/MLW, plus higher cycles to the frames, devaluing the aircraft.

in all certainty we could be seeing the 773s stay on for a couple more years dedicated to CGK routes...just like SQE/SQF in their final 3 years of life. SQF was 15 years at retirement. The newest 773s (SYJ/L) turn 13 this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X