SQ B777 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by leops1984 View Post
    Aren't all of SQ's 777-200s actually 200ERs, except they've been paper derated? DL can have them rerated as 200ERs, they just need to pay Boeing.
    From my understanding, the B777-200s are actually B777-200ERs with derated engines. So it's more than just a paper rating. But I could be wrong.

Comment

• Looks like the 777s are not going to leave so soon:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-shopping-list

Almost certain now that 77Ws and 380s will stick around for a looooong time, unless Boeing and Airbus offer SQ a swap deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by 259850 View Post
        Almost certain now that 77Ws and 380s will stick around for a looooong time, unless Boeing and Airbus offer SQ a swap deal.
        I don't think SQ has any plans to retire any of the 77Ws for at least the next five years with the refit happening. And other than the first five A380s, the rest of the fleet ain't going anywhere either.
        Last edited by jaywell; 15 October 2015, 07:28 PM.

Comment

• Just wondering, Tokyo haneda route has traditionally use 777-200 planes but for 2016, sq change it to 777-300er based on their web. Signs of withdrawing?

Comment

• Originally posted by ibm1989 View Post
            Just wondering, Tokyo haneda route has traditionally use 777-200 planes but for 2016, sq change it to 777-300er based on their web. Signs of withdrawing?
            I don't think too many of the 777-200/ERs will be leaving anytime soon. From 2016, SQ are getting the A350s which are are going to be going on the longer routes to Europe and maybe some of the shorter ones to boost their use.

At the same time, the leases on the A330s are expiring and they are starting to leave the fleet. The replacement 787s are only due to start arriving in 2018. SQ are therefore going to need to replace the A330s with something else. I therefore think that the A330s will be replaced by by the 777-200 / ERs.

The exception will be the non-refit birds. 2 of the 3 200ERs leave over the next 12-18 months once their leases expire, leaving only one which might be kept as a limited use spare as is currently the case.

Of the 2 777-200s that are non refitted, one (SRJ) will be 14 years old next month. Not sure what SQ will do with this as it will be too old to go to NokScoot per the Thai rules on importing planes older than 14 years. The other one (SRL) will only hit 14 years in July next year. I think it is a strong possibility this will end up with NokScoot.

The Thai DCA red flag has meant NokScoot could not operate the Japan and Korea routes that were intended. Instead the 3 current planes have had a relatively low usage. This is now starting to change with new routes in Oct, Nov and Jan. As the frequency of the routes increases the usage will go up a fair bit meaning that NokScoot would not have the capacity to do the 2 Japan and Korean routes they want to. Another jet will be needed and so SRL would fit in quite well.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaywell View Post
              It's good to hear Delta picking up the remaining 77Es so they won't have to stay around much longer. From the way I see it, the 11 A350 deliveries next year will be replacing the entire 777-200ER sub fleet.
              I'm keeping my eye on 9V-SVF. As the only purple-cabin 200ER that is not leased, we were all putting money on SVH or SVO to go first as they had lessors they could be returned to. SVF has been out of action well over a week now- could easily be an overhaul before it frees one of the other two to leave, but I just wonder whether finding DL the planes it wants without added delay might recast the whole scenario.

Comment

• Originally posted by ibm1989 View Post
                Just wondering, Tokyo haneda route has traditionally use 777-200 planes but for 2016, sq change it to 777-300er based on their web. Signs of withdrawing?
                I noticed this as well. Planning ahead for a potential trip to Japan and I've noticed that they've now taken off the 777-300ER and replaced it with a 777-200 (with regional 2-2-2 J seating) for SIN-NRT. But flying 777-300ER to Haneda as you mention.

Comment

• just about to say the same things on NRT route. Just checked and found out by next year NRT will use 772, but to be honest, if 77W goes to HND, that would be a lot better. If 77W left Tokyo altogether, that would drive me more towards ANA (just landed today in CGK from Japan using ANA for the first time for long haul - I use ANA on domestic and seoul routes). Really surprised by the quality of food - a really WOW, and business class seat). Though the IFE selection is rather meh

Hope the A350 have superior products than ANA (dimming windows, advanced inflight map, bidet toilet).

Comment

• Isn't ANA using regional 787 to SG? Other than the 77W to NRT which has staggered, it's a rather awful cradle seat.

I actually think JL has even better catering. That steak I had HND-SIN last year, I still remember how it melted in my mouth.

Comment

• Originally posted by dfs24 View Post
                      Isn't ANA using regional 787 to SG? Other than the 77W to NRT which has staggered, it's a rather awful cradle seat. .
                      One of the 787s used is the long haul config which includes PY.

Comment

• oops - i wasn't very clear. I was saying about cgk to hnd route which uses 789 (CPY) - the staggered business one. I purposely avoid SIN-HND/NRT and CGK-NRT because they use 788 (one of them is a cradled business seat version) and the transit. Would fly with them again for sure, alternating with SQ.

but to be honest, I hate flying on 772/773. the ife is similar to watching analogue tv from time to time (especially when the plane gets into turbulance). the only good thing is the seat is better than the newer ones. Seeing a high tech 789 was a shock after using SQ mostly for long haul flights.
                        I remember a non-functioning map in sin-cph flight. the flight seemed to last forever without knowing where you are. That was on 9V-SVx series.
                        Last edited by 726; 30 October 2015, 05:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 726 View Post
                          I remember a non-functioning map in sin-cph flight. the flight seemed to last forever without knowing where you are. That was on 9V-SVx series.
                          I know the one you mean. It's on the older system that the 772s and 773s have where the visible pixels and limited colour palette make it look like a 90s computer game. It looks particularly bad because the frame size is substantially smaller than the resolution of the newer screens and the aspect ratio also seems mismatched as well.

Once you see the latest one on the new 77W product, you will be more impressed.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                            I know the one you mean. It's on the older system that the 772s and 773s have where the visible pixels and limited colour palette make it look like a 90s computer game. It looks particularly bad because the frame size is substantially smaller than the resolution of the newer screens and the aspect ratio also seems mismatched as well.

Once you see the latest one on the new 77W product, you will be more impressed.
                            yup. saw it several times. last time was on 9v-sna (sq637, 22 june 2015).
                            First time was sq308 SIN LHR, 22 December 2013 (when there was one plane in rotation - one day got it, one day did not), before being switched to A388.

It was more impressive, but on business class, noted that it was not touchscreen. But I have to admit that ANA 789 has the best moving map I've ever seen though other IFE selection resemble SQ 772 and 773 (sans the visible pixels).

Comment

• Originally posted by 726 View Post
                              yup. saw it several times. last time was on 9v-sna (sq637, 22 june 2015).
                              First time was sq308 SIN LHR, 22 December 2013 (when there was one plane in rotation - one day got it, one day did not), before being switched to A388.

It was more impressive, but on business class, noted that it was not touchscreen. But I have to admit that ANA 789 has the best moving map I've ever seen though other IFE selection resemble SQ 772 and 773 (sans the visible pixels).
                              These map systems are seemingly third party applications, rather than part of a standard IFE system, although I fly SQ too much to know whether airlines ever have the same presentation as each other. Around the time of SWU's arrival there was a guy on here asking if any of us had experienced the new maps and what we thought of them because he said he was from the team who got a contract to develop them. By the time I finally got a flight on SWZ after several post-booking and last-minute equipment swaps, I couldn't identify any of the extra content he had been talking about, so I don't know if SQ actually went ahead with his ideas.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                                These map systems are seemingly third party applications, rather than part of a standard IFE system, although I fly SQ too much to know whether airlines ever have the same presentation as each other. Around the time of SWU's arrival there was a guy on here asking if any of us had experienced the new maps and what we thought of them because he said he was from the team who got a contract to develop them. By the time I finally got a flight on SWZ after several post-booking and last-minute equipment swaps, I couldn't identify any of the extra content he had been talking about, so I don't know if SQ actually went ahead with his ideas.
                                Yup. I suspect it was Google and loads real-time using satellite internet (not sure though). The IFE itself I think was based on Android (there are android buttons at the bottom of the screen). Before this ANA flight, I was at the same position as you are because I fly SQ most of the time.

I actually was the one asked by the guy to use my pictures taken of the new features, and posted it in this forum (I have a habit of capturing the flight routes on flights i'm on). The feature simply explains points of interest nearest to the current location of the aircraft. Noted that it was not working on Tokyo flights (save for Singapore's area). Might only work for UK-bound flights

Comment

Working...
                                X