Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie here, please help with Krisflyer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie here, please help with Krisflyer!

Hi everyone,

This is my first time here and I am also a newbie SQ Flyer and I apologize for asking some really silly questions here.

I became a KrisFlyer member since April 2005 and haven't used it much since I do not travel that often unless my employer sends me overseas for some trainings or conferences.

As of today, according to my last account statement, my current balance of KrisFlyer Miles is 10115 and Elite Miles is only 1100.

The last time I flew and used my membership was in July last year for a short trip between CGK-SIN and SIN-CGK. This is how I earned my little Elite Miles above since I got 550 points from each leg.

I will be attending an Australian conference this week and have a booking for CGK-SIN followed by SIN-SYD route.

My question is, how many miles am I going to earn (roughly) from SIN-SYD (SQ220) route considering this is going to be like 6-7 hours flight or 6-7 times longer than a short CGK-SIN (SQ95X)which only lasts for 1 h 10 m.

Out of curiosity, do we earn more Elite Miles by flying F or J than Y for the same route?

Regards,
    Anton

Originally posted by Anchen View Post
    Hi everyone,

This is my first time here and I am also a newbie SQ Flyer and I apologize for asking some really silly questions here.

I became a KrisFlyer member since April 2005 and haven't used it much since I do not travel that often unless my employer sends me overseas for some trainings or conferences.

As of today, according to my last account statement, my current balance of KrisFlyer Miles is 10115 and Elite Miles is only 1100.

The last time I flew and used my membership was in July last year for a short trip between CGK-SIN and SIN-CGK. This is how I earned my little Elite Miles above since I got 550 points from each leg.

I will be attending an Australian conference this week and have a booking for CGK-SIN followed by SIN-SYD route.

My question is, how many miles am I going to earn (roughly) from SIN-SYD (SQ220) route considering this is going to be like 6-7 hours flight or 6-7 times longer than a short CGK-SIN (SQ95X)which only lasts for 1 h 10 m.

Out of curiosity, do we earn more Elite Miles by flying F or J than Y for the same route?

Regards,
    Anton
    Hi, Welcome to SQTalk.

You may use the below accural calculator to find out the number of miles you may accure on your KF.

http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...rualCalcIn.jsp

If flying Y, it will be 3912 miles. If flying J or F, it will be 125% and 150% of actual miles flown respectively.

As for elite miles, I think J and F has higher elite miles than Y. Quoting from the SQ website:

Please note: Elite miles refer to the actual miles flown, plus any applicable class bonuses earned. When flying on Singapore Airlines or SilkAir, class bonuses are awarded based on 100%, 125%, 150% and 160% of the actual distance travelled, in Economy Class, Business Class, First Class and the Singapore Airlines Suites respectively. On partner airlines, the Elite miles earned may differ. Miles earned through any tier bonus or promotional bonus do not qualify as Elite miles. No Elite miles are accrued for booking classes not eligible for miles accrual.

Comment

Originally posted by slacker View Post
      Hi, Welcome to SQTalk.

You may use the below accural calculator to find out the number of miles you may accure on your KF.

http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...rualCalcIn.jsp

If flying Y, it will be 3912 miles. If flying J or F, it will be 125% and 150% of actual miles flown respectively.

As for elite miles, I think J and F has higher elite miles than Y. Quoting from the SQ website:

Thank you for the answer and the link to the web, that means if I fly Y all the way and return, I will earn :

CGK-SIN 2x 550 miles = 1100 miles
      SIN-SYD 2x 3912 miles = 7824 miles

TOTAL = 8924 miles

Adding that to my existing balance of 1100 miles that means I will have 10024 miles.

Still I have to add 14976 miles to become silver (25000-10024).

Will I still get 8924 miles if I repeat this trip after end of this year, say it in January 2009?

Regards,
      Anton

Comment

Anchen,

Your current 1100 Elite Miles will expire in July. Assuming you do a repeat trip in Jan 2009 in Y, you will only have 17848 (8924 * 2) Elite Miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
          Anchen,

Your current 1100 Elite Miles will expire in July. Assuming you do a repeat trip in Jan 2009 in Y, you will only have 17848 (8924 * 2) Elite Miles.
          Nick C,

If I also repeat the same trip, for instance in April 2009 and will have 26772 (8924 x 3) Elite Miles and qualify for silver before May 2009.

What if I don't earn another 25000 Elite Miles in the next 12 months period after May 2009? I mean, of course I won't reach gold but will I remain silver if I only earn below 25000 Elite Miles afterwards?

Regards,
          Anton

Comment

Once becoming Silver, you will stay silver for a year.
            If you fail to make the 25,000 Elite Miles to re-qualify, you will be dropped back to blue tier.
            zxcvbn

Comment

Anchen, personally I would credit the miles to BMI Diamond Club (better redemption rates) or to Asiana (once you reach *G you have it for 3 years)....

There is nothing to say that just because you fly SQ that you need to credit the miles to Krisflyer.
              matt_will_fix_it

Comment

Originally posted by zxcvbn View Post
                Once becoming Silver, you will stay silver for a year.
                If you fail to make the 25,000 Elite Miles to re-qualify, you will be dropped back to blue tier.
                This answers all my initial questions about Elite Miles, thanks a bunch ,zxcvbn.

Originally posted by matt_will_fix_it View Post
                Anchen, personally I would credit the miles to BMI Diamond Club (better redemption rates) or to Asiana (once you reach *G you have it for 3 years)....

There is nothing to say that just because you fly SQ that you need to credit the miles to Krisflyer.
                Matt, both Asiana and BMI do not fly here, where I live (CGK). Is it possible for me to credit my Krisflyer Elite Miles to BMI Diamond Club or Asiana Club even though I am not flying with them and get them back when I am flying with SQ again in the future?

Regards,
                Anton

Comment

Originally posted by Anchen View Post
                  Matt, both Asiana and BMI do not fly here, where I live (CGK). Is it possible for me to credit my Krisflyer Elite Miles to BMI Diamond Club or Asiana Club even though I am not flying with them and get them back when I am flying with SQ again in the future?

Regards,
                  Anton
                  Star Alliance membership means you can bank miles flown with SQ with any *A member airline's FFP. BD and OZ are both *A members. So, despite the fact that BD and OZ do not fly to CGK, you can bank SQ miles with them, and then redeem their miles on SQ flights. This allows you to optimize your earn-burn ratio by banking with the FFP that offers the most favorable ratio of earning to redemption.

Welcome to SQTalk, Anchen.
                  ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

I think it's probably worth pointing out, however, that the mileage required to redeem on SQ would be higher if converted from Asiana or BD.

I.e. It takes less Krisflyer-credited miles to redeem rewards/upgrades on SQ than to use BD/Asiana-banked miles.

I'm actually having to make the same choice myself as to where I bank my miles. I don't think I can quite reach *G on SIA as I fly mostly regional, on occasion to North Asia / Australia, but not Europe or America. I'll leave that for another thread when I've done my research on Asiana.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                      I think it's probably worth pointing out, however, that the mileage required to redeem on SQ would be higher if converted from Asiana or BD.
                      Not true, particularly if you take BD's cash+miles feature into account.
                      Last edited by jjpb3; 26 May 2008, 07:44 AM. Reason: precision

Comment

Another note that I believe it's true,

If you bank SQ's miles on BD, there is no 25% bonus when you eventually get elite status. Also, when redeeming, I don't think BD people will enjoy the 15% internet-redemption discount. That is why I still have my KrisFlyer account active.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanandika View Post
                          If you bank SQ's miles on BD, there is no 25% bonus when you eventually get elite status.
                          Sorry, that's incorrect. BD Silvers and Golds (lower thresholds than KrisFlyer ES and EG) get 25% bonus on all *A airlines, including SQ.
                          Originally posted by Tanandika View Post
                          Also, when redeeming, I don't think BD people will enjoy the 15% internet-redemption discount. That is why I still have my KrisFlyer account active.
                          Well, consider SIN-NRT in F. With KrisFlyer, you need 105,000 miles for a Saver award, which is 89,250 with the 15% online discount. With BD, you need 60,000 miles, and this is if you prefer not to use the cash+miles option.

The chief advantages to KrisFlyer are the increased access to redemption seats on SQ and the ability to waitlist for them, not the redemption rates.

Out of curiosity, where did you get your information?
                          Last edited by jjpb3; 26 May 2008, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post

I.e. It takes less Krisflyer-credited miles to redeem rewards/upgrades on SQ than to use BD/Asiana-banked miles.
                            That depends on where you intend to fly to. If flying within Asia, say SIN-ICN BD has lower redemption rates that SQ but higher if one does say SIN-SFO. For the case of SIN-ICN, it takes the same 45K miles on SQ in Y but on BD you need only 30K miles

In addition, BD has a min 600mile system where if you fly a ultra short SIN-KUL, you get 600 miles whereas on SQ its a mere 186 miles

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                              The chief advantages to KrisFlyer are the increased access to redemption seats on SQ and the ability to waitlist for them, not the redemption rates.

Absolutely right! When I checked for F redeemption seat SIN-JFK for March'09 on ANA searching engine last week, it was said "no seat", but when I rang KF, I got my F (O class) seat for SIN-JFK
                              So if you're crazy with SQ F, use your KF...
                              Btw, SIN-CGK vv new biz class on A345 (SQ962), are open for I class (biz saver)... I got this seat on my March'09 booking trip
                              Last edited by Dent@SUB; 26 May 2008, 06:29 PM. Reason: correction/add information

Comment

Working...
                              X