No announcement yet.

Singapore Airlines Flight Delays & Disruptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ215 SIN-PER | 22JUN19 | 9V-SCJ took off over 4 hours late at 22:45 (STD: 18:45) and is estimated to arrive at 03:26 (STA: 23:55)

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-SML View Post
      I think that note needs to be read very carefully: it's only "parts of Iran(ian) airspace" that are being avoided -- namely, the western portion of the Gulf of Oman and the air above the Straits of Hormuz. The route across southwestern Balochistan (Pakistani airspace), thence across central or northeastern Iran, is still open and being used by SQ as well as the other European airlines that fly to/from Singapore.

That said, half of the eastbound SQ flights tonight from Europe (ex-MAN, LHR, CPH, AMS, and DME) to Singapore are routing via Russia/Mongolia/China -- possibly because the remaining route via Persia is now saturated.
      Last edited by Bitterroot; 23 June 2019, 03:20 AM.

Comment

• SQ217|23JUN (SIN-MEL) operated by 9V-SKG diverted to PER after crew(s) fell ill.
        Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

• SQ406 SIN-DEL | 23JUN19 | 9V-SKR took off 2.5 hours late at 19:20 (STD: 16:50). They were waiting for the plane to arrive from NRT at around 17:30.

Comment

• Due to a build up in arrival traffic to Changi, the following SQ flights diverted to Batam:
            SQ963 operated by 9V-SMK
            SQ7367 operated by 9V-SFN

Comment

• Originally posted by Not You View Post
              Due to a build up in arrival traffic to Changi, the following SQ flights diverted to Batam:
              SQ963 operated by 9V-SMK
              SQ7367 operated by 9V-SFN
              Not sure what is happening at Changi but there are many delayed departures and at least 3 go-arounds at Rwy20R over the last 2hrs. Weather is perfectly fine. Now the aircraft are using Rwy20C for landing and Rwy20R for departures instead. Plus many other arrivals still in holding pattern.
              My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

• Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
                Not sure what is happening at Changi but there are many delayed departures and at least 3 go-arounds at Rwy20R over the last 2hrs. Weather is perfectly fine. Now the aircraft are using Rwy20C for landing and Rwy20R for departures instead. Plus many other arrivals still in holding pattern.
                Pretty incredible. Did a rough count on FR24, there are nearly 25 inbound aircraft either holding, entering a hold, or on final approach after looping more than 3 rounds. Sounds like quite the backlog to a layperson. Seems to be a delay of around 30 mins for these inbound aircraft based on scheduled landing time.

Comment

• Drones again?

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...losed-11641920

(on a side note, I'm curious what SQ7367 is - edit: ah, cargo!)
                  an infrastructure geek

Comment

• Originally posted by yuuka_miya View Post
                    Drones again?

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...losed-11641920

(on a side note, I'm curious what SQ7367 is - edit: ah, cargo!)
                    Highly possible if drones sightings were at the Changi Beach area, which is along the approach to Rwy20R. Guess they decided to change the runway usage then.
                    Last edited by ycp81; 24 June 2019, 11:51 PM.
                    My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

• Counted 6 holding areas for the arriving aircrafts.
                      And SQ963 is still at Batam.

Comment

• Yep, it's due to drones.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...rport-again-on
                        an infrastructure geek

Comment

• Read in the papers last year that the RSAF have equipment and ways to jam and destroy drones - wonder why the RSAF was not called upon as its RSAF Changi base also share the runways at Changi

Comment

• I think by the time the RSAF had made arrangements to shoot down the drone (like suspending runway operations and clearing the airspace), it had already disappeared.

Or they could have already shot it down, but Changi still needs to recover from the disruption. The RSAF probably won't tip their hand.
                            an infrastructure geek

Comment

• It's about time CAAS does more than strengthening regulations and fines to battle the scourge of drones. A single episode like this could have costs thousands, if not millions of dollars to airlines and wreaked havoc on thousands of travellers plans.

One thing I personally feel is worth a try is to consider Paya Lebar airport as the primary diversion airport, weather permitting, in times like this. Transporting the passengers by bus could be considered if delays are taking longer than expected. A multi level government involvement would be required as immigration and transportation issues would have to be ironed out. Just find it ridiculous that a number of SQ planes diverted to Batam when we have an airport capable of accomodating them a few miles away.

Another idea worth exploring is to install drone jammer antennas on masts on either end of the runways. Studies would have to be conducted if they interfere with the aircraft systems before they are installed.

Drones have been causing issues in airports like Dubai and Gatwick the past few years and feel CAAS could have been proactive and anticipated this rather been caught unprepared as it is now.

Comment

• I don’t think Singapore can act unilaterally. It’s possible that the guy flying the drone is in Johor which will require cooperation from the Malaysian authorities as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X