Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peranakan Meals to be catered on flights!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, the Peranakan promotion is available in the Silver Kris lounge as well. I was at the First Class lounge on Wed and the very addictive keropok with chilli sauce that SQueeze mentioned, is available. Unlimited servings. And yes, the chilli was good.

They also had itik kiam chye soup and it was OK.

For the main course, they had ayam ipor and sayor lodeh with toasted coconut shavings on the side.

Its a nice change from the usual catering.

Comment

Peranakan J Meal SIN-HKG 15th July

I have to say this was one of the best meals I've had on SQ J! Ayam Buah Keluak was authentic and tasty. The only let down was the chilli and I guess they can't have the spicy dried shrimp sambal onboard since it'll stink up the plane! Pandan ice cream was nostalgic albeit the initial taste was somewhat strong but it was all good after.

Comment

BTC-ed the Itek Sio and Hokkien Mee Soup to and fro NRT. The mee soup was wonderful, Itek Sio slightly less so as the rice was somewhat soggy but the meat was flavorful

Comment

Unfortunately I am not as rich as you all ... but the Business class meals all looks good.
          Here's Peranakan meals served at the back of the bus.

I have to complain to SIA though, it is a 7 hour flight and this meal only served 55 minutes prior to landing. Clearly the time management of the cabin crew needs improvement to prevent passengers have to rush through their meals.

Comment

Originally posted by Metropolitan Airlines View Post
            Unfortunately I am not as rich as you all ... but the Business class meals all looks good.

I have to complain to SIA though, it is a 7 hour flight and this meal only served 55 minutes prior to landing. Clearly the time management of the cabin crew needs improvement to prevent passengers have to rush through their meals.
            I've never experienced a flight where the crew served the main meal at the end of the flight. Metropolitan Airlines, may I ask which flight this was please? Were you seated in the rear end of Y or the front of it?

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
              I've never experienced a flight where the crew served the main meal at the end of the flight. Metropolitan Airlines, may I ask which flight this was please? Were you seated in the rear end of Y or the front of it?
              The service was SQ241 and I was sitting at 31C. I recalled just as I finished my meal the captain updated the status of the service and asked crew to prepare for arrival. And I still had my tray on my table.

The curtain between Economy and Business still there even the captain announced crew to return to the seat and only 5 minutes prior landing someone opened it.

Comment

The service was SQ241 and I was sitting at 31C. I recalled just as I finished my meal the captain updated the status of the service and asked crew to prepare for arrival. And I still had my tray on my table.

The curtain between Economy and Business still there even the captain announced crew to return to the seat and only 5 minutes prior landing someone opened it.
                Ah, in that case it would've been the second "lunch" meal service. Since you're right up front, you would've been served last.

Comment

Am unsure, but can anyone confirm if the Ayam Buah Keluak is a standard choice item already in the JCL menu ex-SIN? I BTC-ed the same dish, but do not see the point in doing so, if already catered. Am flying out SQ16 to ICN on Tuesday, August 11, 2015.

Comment

Peranakan Hokkien Mee Soup

Verdict

very disappointing. The prawns were overcooked and tough like rubber. The broth was not so rich as expected. It was pretty bland. Only at the bottom, it was richer a bit. Looks like some stirring will be required.
                    Last edited by SQueeze; 12 August 2015, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Imposter peranakan food from syd

I BTC for some chicken rice ex syd 2weeks ago and was really dissapointed with the food. The flight stewart was so embarassed that she immediately offered to change it at my dismay.
                      It would appear that only good Asian food can be created from SIN. Likewise great Oz creations from Oz etc. so stop trying to be universal and serve good food from each local stations.
                      SQ - you only give others a bad impression of your own food cooked in other stations. And try not to serve other nation's food from your kitchen. It doesn't work.
                      I have complained much abt bread ex SIN and rightfully so, it's one of the worst!! But was pleasantly surprised with the best bread ex Milano!!

Comment

Of all my SQ travels, food uploaded at DME rates as one of the worst, especially in winter. One can forget about getting a decent Peranakan or Chicken Rice meal from there.

Comment

DPS-SIN J Menu August 2015

Nonya Nasi Padang was sedap! Chicken with the coconut gravy and sayur lodeh lip smacking good. Beef rendang was tough and worse than your typical airline steaks but perhaps it's typical Balinese as I found most of the beef dishes I had in Bali terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by jonleong View Post

I have to say this was one of the best meals I've had on SQ J! Ayam Buah Keluak was authentic and tasty. The only let down was the chilli and I guess they can't have the spicy dried shrimp sambal onboard since it'll stink up the plane! Pandan ice cream was nostalgic albeit the initial taste was somewhat strong but it was all good after.
                            I tried "Ayam Buah Keluak" 2 days ago.
                            I don't remember being served any chilli at all!

The taste was good but I wouldnt say out of this world.
                            The pork and chicken were a tad on the dry side but still acceptable.
                            The stew vegetables were really good.
                            Rice was super moist too. This bit they get on and off right.

So far .... I think the keropok that comes with the Pork satays the best. Hope to try Itek Sio next

Comment

I had this Nyonya fish curry meal (was written on the menu as Nyonya Fish Curry: Fish curry cooked Peranakan style with brinjals and okras served with steamed rice) on my SQ916 flight few days ago and after 3 mouthfuls , I skip the whole dish....the curry taste was awful and the use of Dory fish is just not right....The vegetable curry accompanying the meal was equally bad..

Comment

Just to confirm that the Peranakan food offering ends on 30th September? A bit irritated as I'm only slated to fly on the 1st of October (PVG-SIN) and can't change it to a day earlier....
                                God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Working...
                                X