Confirmed: SQ to restart SQ21/22 to EWR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by reddevil0728 View Post
    Actually if is on the same airline, even if booked on the later flight, if reach early, can possibly asked to be uplifted on the earlier flight if there’s space?
    Yeah, I was also thinking about this. Say I get in early, my booking is on the 2pm, but I get to the gate for the 7:45am flight in time, will they let me “fly standby” and change to that flight (for free or for a fee?), assuming seats available and no bags to check in?

Comment

• Originally posted by Short Final View Post
      Next week I am booked on SQ 22, which has an eta at EWR of 6:00am. I’m connecting to Savannah, GA on UA, currently booked on the 2:00pm connection. That’s a long layover. Any recommendations on a hotel for a rest near the airport? There isn’t an airport hotel in the terminal somewhere right?

There’s also a 7:45am EWR-SAV connecting flight, but I had figured maybe too tight for the connection, what with clearing immigration and then waiting for bags and switching terminals and clearing security again. But at the same time, I see SQ22 often arrives ahead of schedule, so maybe this connection could work? Any opinions out there on gambling on making this tight connection? Take the gamble, with bags, or with cabin bags only?
      Making the 7.45am should be very doable with a few caveats below — if SQ arrives earlier than LY from TLV then there'll be no line at immigration, so just make sure to walk very quickly once you get off the plane and if you don't have bags to pick up you should be at terminal C before 7am. Just last month I made an offline connection from SQ22 to the 7.35am EWR-BOS with time to spare, and was seated all the way in the back in 40C in PY. However we did arrive slightly before LY — if you're stuck behind the El Al pax then it might be a bit of an issue.

Another unknown would be security lines at EWR C — with PreCheck it shouldn't be a problem, but regular security can be pretty backed up around 6-7am, which might make things more risky.

Also if you're checking bags even if SQ checks them through to SAV you have to claim them in EWR and drop them off with UA again, and when SQ arrives at terminal B the UA recheck desks aren't open so you'll have to bring them over to C, which will add to the hassle as well...

Originally posted by Short Final View Post
      Yeah, I was also thinking about this. Say I get in early, my booking is on the 2pm, but I get to the gate for the 7:45am flight in time, will they let me “fly standby” and change to that flight (for free or for a fee?), assuming seats available and no bags to check in?
      This actually is a better idea — UA will let you standby for $75 (only charged if you clear) at the gate (assuming no checked bags), and actually if seats are available/open (check on the United app) you can do a same-day confirmed change for $75 as well. Fee is waived for UA Golds and up, and possibly for other *G as well (mixed reports on this though)

Comment

Actually if is on the same airline, even if booked on the later flight, if reach early, can possibly asked to be uplifted on the earlier flight if there’s space?
        Not all airlines, I have tried this on ANA, Cathay and Malaysia Airlines personally. Arrived early at check-in, they don't allow you to standby on an earlier flight. But SQ, JAL, Garuda I managed to do so without issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by ninervictor View Post
          Not all airlines, I have tried this on ANA, Cathay and Malaysia Airlines personally. Arrived early at check-in, they don't allow you to standby on an earlier flight. But SQ, JAL, Garuda I managed to do so without issues.
          Agreed, but might be safer than missing connection if on different ticket?

Comment

Agreed, but might be safer than missing connection if on different ticket?
            Different ticket, if the same airline, it depends on the ground agent, a different airline I don' think they can do much.

Comment

• Hey,

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ay-change.html

On United, there is an official policy in place. $75 for same day change. You will only hold a confirmed seat on your original flight. So it will be on a space available basis for the flight you are trying to change to.

For international to domestic, while bags can be checked through, you will need to lug it through customs, and then re-drop it before exiting arrivals.

Comment

• Once I had to connect in EWR (intl-dom.) and booked a later departure on United just to be safe. When my international flight landed I found out that my domestic departure was delayed. After collecting my checked bag to transfer to the domestic flight, I was able to change to standby for the earlier departure and have my checked bag tagged to that flight. Not sure if it was because I am Star Alliance Gold or the fact that my original flight was delayed, but I did not have to pay any extra for the flight change.

Comment

• Yes some airlines are not so sticky on such changes especially to earlier flights but SQ is very strict on it and depending on the type of ticket/fare that you are paying. So far I had change my flights with CX twice because my arrival flight was early and once because there was a earlier departing CX flight as both flights still have vacant seats. I had no problems getting on the earlier flights even though the tickets were bought under a promo fare, however the staff at CX did ask if i have check-in baggage, which I didnt have as it was only carry on. Perhaps that was the difference in that I had no check-in luggage.
                  Last edited by flyguy; 8 July 2019, 02:00 PM.

Comment

• Thanks all for all the info about connecting in EWR to a 745 connection. As some pointed out, arriving before the two El Al flights arrive are key. Our flight was longer than normal due winds, I guess, and we arrived 10 late. The El Al flights beat us, so the immigration lines were full and i missed that connection by a longshot once I cleared immigration.

Comment

• Originally posted by Short Final View Post
                      Thanks all for all the info about connecting in EWR to a 745 connection. As some pointed out, arriving before the two El Al flights arrive are key. Our flight was longer than normal due winds, I guess, and we arrived 10 late. The El Al flights beat us, so the immigration lines were full and i missed that connection by a longshot once I cleared immigration.
                      I am curious what time did you clear immigration after the two EL AL flights? What time your flight actually arrives? I have a connection between Newark and La Guardia in Dec where my flights ETA is 530am and I am departing from La Guardia at 930am on the same morning. It is on a Sun and I am assuming traffic to be smooth.

Comment

• This is off topic but can we expect SQ to launch SIN-ORD in the near future?

Comment

• They'll need to find a frame first, though 5x weekly could work.

Perhaps one way to do it would be to change one or both of the LAX flights to the standard 359. SFO has high premium demand so that's likely to remain the way it is until the 779s come in.
                          an infrastructure geek

Comment

• Originally posted by truncated View Post
                            Just last month I made an offline connection from SQ22 to the 7.35am EWR-BOS with time to spare, and was seated all the way in the back in 40C in PY.
                            That is impressive! I'm tempted to try do something similar on my next US trip, but I usually have checked-in luggage complicating matters.

Originally posted by Tweeshin View Post
                            I am curious what time did you clear immigration after the two EL AL flights? What time your flight actually arrives? I have a connection between Newark and La Guardia in Dec where my flights ETA is 530am and I am departing from La Guardia at 930am on the same morning. It is on a Sun and I am assuming traffic to be smooth.
                            That is, ehrm... ambitious? Even without any traffic at all, I would think getting from EWR to LGA will take you an hour, so you have very little margin for error. If you land after the LY flights, your chances of making it are low I would think. The one time I got stuck behind the LY flight I cleared immigration somewhere after 7 but before 7:30am, if I recall correctly.

Originally posted by Short Final View Post
                            Thanks all for all the info about connecting in EWR to a 745 connection. As some pointed out, arriving before the two El Al flights arrive are key. Our flight was longer than normal due winds, I guess, and we arrived 10 late. The El Al flights beat us, so the immigration lines were full and i missed that connection by a longshot once I cleared immigration.
                            Thanks for the update! I was curious to see how you would fare.

Comment

• Originally posted by WBT View Post
                              That is impressive! I'm tempted to try do something similar on my next US trip, but I usually have checked-in luggage complicating matters.
                              I only really made the connection because (1) we arrived before the LY flight, (2) walked very quickly once off the plane and so overtook at least 20 people before getting to immigration, (3) no checked bags so no wait at baggage claim, (4) have TSA PreCheck which makes security way easier and faster, and (5) am pretty familiar with EWR and know where exactly to go. Without any of these making a 90 minute connection would be very challenging I think, and the LY arrival is a very big unknown in itself (unless you're flying on Saturday or in winter on days when the earlier LY flight doesn't operate).

Also was originally booked on the 9am UA departure but did a same-day change (free for *G on the app) only when I knew I'd definitely be able to catch the 7.35 am (i.e. after I was through immigration)

Comment

• I managed a similar connection at EWR coming off SQ22. In my case:
                                1) I had a booked EWR-RDU flight at 1015 to be safe
                                2) I walked off SQ22 at 0558
                                3) I have Global Entry and no checked bags
                                4) Used bus to transfer terminals - better than train for these two terminals
                                5) Checked in for UA flight at 0610 and was able to select an earlier EWR-RDU departing at 730.
                                6) I have TSA pre-check and was at the gate 0625 (skipped the lounge!)

Comment

Working...
                                X