SQTalk  

Go Back   SQTalk > Singapore Airlines > All About Singapore Airlines

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th April 2019, 12:16 PM   #16
lingua101
SQTalk Solitaire PPS
 
lingua101's Avatar
 
Join Date: 18-Aug-2009
Location: Singapore
Programs: Royal Orchid Plus
Posts: 1,224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuuka_miya View Post
Huh, I was expecting SIN-HKG-YVR on TR, to give Cathay and AC a run for their money...


why SQ want to do this? Does SQ ever have right between HKG-YVR?

I think SIN-YVR nonstop should be more make sense
__________________
visit my blog
lingua101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2019, 05:31 PM   #17
SQ228
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS
 
Join Date: 16-Dec-2010
Location: Currently MEL, often DUS
Programs: KF Pleb
Posts: 2,651
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
If the pax numbers are justifiable, SIA will start a service to YVR whether its 4 or 7 times a week.
No they won't. You need more than passenger demand to commence revenue flights.
SQ228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2019, 07:46 PM   #18
yuuka_miya
SQTalker
 
Join Date: 22-Nov-2018
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingua101 View Post
why SQ want to do this? Does SQ ever have right between HKG-YVR?

I think SIN-YVR nonstop should be more make sense
Well, I meant that more in the spirit of the date.

I believe the current bilaterals restrict the amount of 5th freedom flights, and given that CX and AC both run high-capacity 10 abreast 777s, it will be quite interesting to see TR run an operation out of there.

For what it's worth, I seem to recall reading that there's plenty of VFR traffic between HK and Canada that may not mind an LCC. Maybe Mainland China as well, but given ATC there I'm not sure if stopping over in China on the way makes sense.
yuuka_miya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2019, 08:03 PM   #19
Metropolitan Airlines
SQTalk PPS Club
 
Join Date: 22-Jul-2014
Posts: 345
Default

Or perhaps, SQ can run SIN-HKG-YVR, on HX Metal later this year!

If this piece of news is true: (Only available in Premium Chinese)

https://news.mingpao.com/pns/%E7%B6%...B3%A3%E7%9B%A4
Metropolitan Airlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2019, 05:56 AM   #20
MAN Flyer
SQTalk Founder
 
Join Date: 31-Oct-2006
Location: All the wrong places...
Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, SPG Life Plat, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Dia
Posts: 6,539
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
If the pax numbers are justifiable, SIA will start a service to YVR whether its 4 or 7 times a week. However am sure SIA todate finds it not feasible, but find Seattle a more viable city to fly to.
Again, it's not that the don't find it feasible, it's because the authorities will not give them they access they would like to operate the service. If they do they will.

Unfortunately, as other airlines have discovered, AC are very good at lobbying against other airlines getting access to Canada.
__________________
Incheon : Connected to the world, cut-off from Korea
MAN Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2019, 06:17 AM   #21
ek&sq
SQTalk PPS Club
 
Join Date: 23-Jun-2009
Location: SIN/PIT
Posts: 255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN Flyer View Post
Again, it's not that the don't find it feasible, it's because the authorities will not give them they access they would like to operate the service. If they do they will.

Unfortunately, as other airlines have discovered, AC are very good at lobbying against other airlines getting access to Canada.
The authorities you refer to are... South Korea? Other potential fifth freedom points? As someone stated, SQ and AC are both free to fly from Singapore nonstop to any point in Canada with no restrictions on frequency or capacity. Is SQ's feasibility of flying to YVR contingent on their access to intermediate markets? It seems to me SQ cannot feasibly operate the service with just O&D and 6th freedom traffic. AC, however, is studying the feasibility of YVR-SIN working with the same restrictions.
ek&sq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2019, 11:35 AM   #22
SQ228
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS
 
Join Date: 16-Dec-2010
Location: Currently MEL, often DUS
Programs: KF Pleb
Posts: 2,651
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ek&sq View Post
The authorities you refer to are... South Korea? Other potential fifth freedom points? As someone stated, SQ and AC are both free to fly from Singapore nonstop to any point in Canada with no restrictions on frequency or capacity. Is SQ's feasibility of flying to YVR contingent on their access to intermediate markets? It seems to me SQ cannot feasibly operate the service with just O&D and 6th freedom traffic. AC, however, is studying the feasibility of YVR-SIN working with the same restrictions.
MAN Flyer's information is correct. It comes from a very reliable source. I heard the same source say this with my own ears. "Someone" stating SQ is free to fly to Canada with no restrictions is incorrect information. Period.

The decision makers at SQ know what they can and can't do without relying on hearsay and speculation on online forums and indeed, if there is a change to current regulatory environment I'm sure they will be aware of it as they would be the ones who would need to negotiate it.
SQ228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2019, 08:23 PM   #23
Trent1000
SQTalk Elite Silver
 
Join Date: 27-May-2017
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ228 View Post
MAN Flyer's information is correct. It comes from a very reliable source. I heard the same source say this with my own ears. "Someone" stating SQ is free to fly to Canada with no restrictions is incorrect information. Period.

The decision makers at SQ know what they can and can't do without relying on hearsay and speculation on online forums and indeed, if there is a change to current regulatory environment I'm sure they will be aware of it as they would be the ones who would need to negotiate it.
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...s-deal-219729/

The 2007 flight services agreement between Singapore and Canada as published by flight global. It mentions specifically that "Under the new arrangements, airlines can operate unlimited passenger and all-cargo flights between the two countries via select intermediate points." Note that this agreement for passenger flights is for direct service only and not 5th freedom flights.

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/u...14Jan2009-1900

The above is the suspension of service to YVR notice dated 14 Jan 2009, of which it says "...the economic conditions and performance on the route has been badly affected by the global economic downturn." This route, like the HKG-LAS route did not survive the great recession of 2008, gives a clear implication on the market demand of this route.

I would like to use Jumbojet Lover's very useful link again. https://blueswandaily.com/video-of-t...k-white-spots/
'Looking wider, the airport does not have a direct link to Canada. “With new aircraft types coming along I think there are more options for a direct flight,” he acknowledges.' Changi Airport is citing aircraft capability as a criteria for direct air link with Canada.

Putting it all together, I think it is quite clear that demand for direct air link from YVR to SIN may not be adequate at this point to launch direct flights. SQ may make it work, with better 5th freedom rights than what Seoul was giving, or more extensive code share with Canadian airlines to boost connection and demand. After all, they did say that the A359 is 'a game changer'.
Trent1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2019, 09:11 AM   #24
Jumbojet Lover
SQTalk PPS Club
 
Jumbojet Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: 26-Dec-2009
Programs: Krisflyer, TrueBlue, Flying Blue, AAdvantage
Posts: 524
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent1000 View Post
This route, like the HKG-LAS route did not survive the great recession of 2008, gives a clear implication on the market demand of this route.
Actually, SIN-HKG-LAS did not even see the pre-2008 boom years of 2006 and 2007. It ended way before the recession began, in 2003 during the SARS outbreak, along with SIN-AMS-ORD.
https://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-...-Vegas-service
Jumbojet Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 04:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Techadmin: Luke | Hosting: www.lomag.net