Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SIA A350-900 from Singapore to San Francisco in Economy (SQ32/31 SIN-SFO-SIN)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for such a great report! Says a lot about SQ and crew that they are capable of providing such high quality service in Y on what must be a pretty tiring journey physically. Loved your pics of SF – makes me want to go back!

Comment

Originally posted by SQ777 View Post
      Thank you for such a great report! Says a lot about SQ and crew that they are capable of providing such high quality service in Y on what must be a pretty tiring journey physically. Loved your pics of SF – makes me want to go back!
      Thanks for reading, SQ777! Yes, agree it can't be easy to work such a long sector, even with some crew rest periods doing the flight. Have always been impressed by how SQ cabin crew still manage to look so fresh at the end of long flights, although they must be very tired.

Comment

Great trip report as always!
        I wonder what’s the SIN-SFO ULR flight experience will be like... gotta try them soon before SQ switches to all non ULR plane on SFO route in less than one year time.
        Anyway, I think the second meal timing in the middle of the flight is less than ideal cause it’s too near to the first meal and leave too much gap to the end of flight with no meal service. It is probably a understandable compromise cause the crews need to take turns to rest and thus to account for the shift change, meal service can only happen mid flight when they are changing shift or at the final 2 hours. Otherwise, maybe for ULR flights, airlines can consider 3 meals with second meal at the mid flight and third meal 2 hours prior to landing and these two meals can be served in half trays like below.
        Last edited by davidfusq; 17 December 2019, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by davidfusq View Post
          Great trip report as always!
          Thanks, davidfusq!

I wonder what’s the SIN-SFO ULR flight experience will be like... gotta try them soon before SQ switches to all non ULR plane on SFO route in less than one year time.
          I think nonstops like SIN-SFO are probably the "new normal" for long haul. In Y, if you are in an aisle seat, the overall experience for SIN-SFO is not too different from your typical long haul e.g. SIN-LHR (13+ hours) or SFO-HKG (As long as 14 hours). Even SFO-SIN, at 16 hours, didn't feel too much longer. I think SQ's IFE, with its massive program selection, does make a difference in keeping boredom at bay.

maybe for ULR flights, airlines can consider 3 meals with second meal at the mid flight and third meal 2 hours prior to landing
          I would personally prefer a 3rd meal service as well. Maybe the reason they don't do for SIN-SFO is the impact of the additional cabin crew workload (And less rest) if they have to do a 3rd meal service. I believe during meal service, all cabin crew are working and none are resting.

these two meals can be served in half trays like below.
          Thanks for sharing these half tray pics. I've never seen the half trays like the pics above on SQ, even for short SQ flights to JKT or BKK. On my flights to/from JKT and BKK, it has always been the usual trays this year. Are they now standard for SIN-JKT or similar routes?

Comment

Thanks yflyer for another wonderfully vivid TR! Have been silently following some of yr reports over the past year but simply overwhelmed by daily routines to compliment them. But now that i have a bit freer time at the end of teh year i want to let you know that your TRs have been great - the amount of effort you took in each of these, including this TR, to focus on the user interface more than immerse the reader into the experience. You allow readers to size up and gauge each product to make travel decisions, from airlines and routes, to specific aircraft for seats and IFE, to hotels and eats (my goodness yr dining reports is another category in its own). And you are probably the only SQtalker here who features a RunReport! For some of us who try to squeeze in runs in between work trips these are vy useful info - for teh world of me though i cant fathom how you can so easily put in 10-11k with still the energy to take steady pictures. Thanks again for this wonderfully detailed TR and RR of one of my favourite cities, and as i said, all yr TRs in the past year. Happy holidays

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
              Thanks for sharing these half tray pics. I've never seen the half trays like the pics above on SQ, even for short SQ flights to JKT or BKK. On my flights to/from JKT and BKK, it has always been the usual trays this year. Are they now standard for SIN-JKT or similar routes?
              The picture on the left was taken during my flight on 17 September 2019 from Jakarta to Singapore in which I was served the half tray. On the flight from Singapore to Jakarta on 12 September 2019, it was still the full tray. The difference between the half tray and full tray was that the mineral water cup and coffee cup was removed from the half tray.

The picture on the right was from a fellow sqtalk forumer enroute to/from Ho Chi Minh City.

Comment

The picture on the left was taken during my flight on 17 September 2019 from Jakarta to Singapore in which I was served the half tray.
                Thanks for sharing! I wonder if this is a phased rollout of the half tray, or if it was just a trial. I've not encountered this half tray yet. Will look out for it next time I do SIN-JKT-SIN.

Comment

Originally posted by jammed View Post
                  Thanks yflyer for another wonderfully vivid TR!
                  Thanks, jammed!

Have been silently following some of yr reports over the past year but simply overwhelmed by daily routines to compliment them. But now that i have a bit freer time at the end of teh year i want to let you know that your TRs have been great
                  Really appreciate your kind words! Thank you for taking the time to comment!

And you are probably the only SQtalker here who features a RunReport!
                  There are others! Fellow SQTalker orionmiz is a really accomplished runner, as can be seen by this wonderful TR on the Dubai Marathon.

For some of us who try to squeeze in runs in between work trips these are vy useful info
                  Yes not easy to squeeze in runs on work trips! I've really found that a run around the city is often the best way to see the most in the least amount of time.

Happy holidays
                  Same to you! Have a great end of year festive season!

Comment

There are others! Fellow SQTalker orionmiz is a really accomplished runner, as can be seen by this wonderful TR on the Dubai Marathon.
                    Haha was about to post something when I saw this. In fact, I did quite a number of overseas races after that (such as Los Angeles Marathon, Walt Disney World Marathon, Copenhagen Marathon, etc.), just that I didn't post it here.

I would personally prefer a 3rd meal service as well. Maybe the reason they don't do for SIN-SFO is the impact of the additional cabin crew workload (And less rest) if they have to do a 3rd meal service. I believe during meal service, all cabin crew are working and none are resting.
                    Well, for reference, for SQ22/SQ21 on Premium Economy, they serve an additional refreshment (in addition to 2 meals and anytime snacks).

SQ22 SIN to EWR Refreshment (Mar 2019):

SQ21 EWR to SIN Refreshment (Mar 2019):

Comment

Awesome report. You always manage to make Y look very comfortable. Amazing how you can find the effort to document so much, every single time.

Thanks, davidfusq!

Must be some sort of short-lived trial. I did JKT end Jul, mid Aug, early Nov, and last week, they all had full trays. Did HCM early Oct. All featured full trays. Though the contents varied a bit. Some had water only, some had OJ and water. I think one breakfast had yoghurt, the others didn't have.

If anything, I seem to recall special meals having both starters and dessert.

Comment

Boarding was called on time...

Isnt this one of the cabin crew on your flight? At 10:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQj3uVxb4eI&t=489s

Comment

Originally posted by orionmiz View Post
                          Haha was about to post something when I saw this. In fact, I did quite a number of overseas races after that (such as Los Angeles Marathon, Walt Disney World Marathon, Copenhagen Marathon, etc.), just that I didn't post it here.
                          Wow...that is a very impressive list of marathons!

Originally posted by orionmiz View Post
                          Well, for reference, for SQ22/SQ21 on Premium Economy, they serve an additional refreshment (in addition to 2 meals and anytime snacks).
                          Thanks for sharing the SQ22/21 meal pics! I am surprised that for such a long sector, in PEY, they serve such a basic refreshment. I would have expected them to at least serve a proper meal. From those pics, it looks like I would still need to supplement the onboard catering with cup noodles if I ever fly SIN-EWR in PEY.

Comment

Originally posted by dfs24 View Post
                            Awesome report. You always manage to make Y look very comfortable.
                            Thanks, dfs24! I do find SQ Y quite comfortable (Probably helps that I am of average build and not too tall...). Of course given the choice give me a seat up front any time!

Originally posted by dfs24 View Post
                            Amazing how you can find the effort to document so much, every single time.
                            Actually the challenge with these trip reports is not to fall into the trap of writing the same TR over and over again: I board, plane takes off, I eat, I sleep, the plane lands...there is always the potential for it to get repetitive.

I mean, there are only so many camera angles in a metal tube, and I think I have exceeded my quota of pictures of peanuts on SQTalk (So luckily they switched to non-peanut based snacks...).

Thankfully, SQ is always evolving and there is always something new to cover, for example new equipment types, new seats, new menu changes...a lot more TR's to come before we all run out of TR ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger777 View Post
                              Isnt this one of the cabin crew on your flight? At 10:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQj3uVxb4eI&t=489s
                              Very observant, Avenger777!

Thanks for sharing the link to travel vlogger DennisBunnik's video, a very comprehensive review of the 787-10 inaugural from PER-SIN. Brought back memories of my recent Perth trip on SQ's 787-10 in Business Class.

I watched the video and chuckled at how he described satay just after the 6 minute mark....
                              Last edited by yflyer; 21 December 2019, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the TR, yflyer. You put a lot of thought into this TR and seems you enjoyed the flight a lot.

Recently this month my dad flew SQ31 and SQ32 to India (Chennai on the A330 and from CCU on the 359R).

My dad got 9V-SMV on SQ31, and 9V-SMW on SQ32, from CCU he got 9V-SHG and MAA 9V-SSG (same aircraft we flew on in 2017).

Unfortunately his experience except food and service was less than amazing. He found the seats to be extremely crammed meaning difficulty to get any sleep. When he got the food he felt as it got on his lap. Also he found the lack of space. The previous 2013 seats to him were still better on the A350.

There’s a good chance I will fly to India next year on SQ and on the 787 to MAA. Since my mom and I heard about my dad’s experience, we would prefer to take the HKG flight in terms of comfort as long as the 77W is on SQ1/2.

Comment

Working...
                                X