SQ vs AI to india

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ vs AI to india

Hi there.posting after a long time.been busy with my NS.anyway,im travelling to chennai during the deepavali time in october.

SQ is listing all in economy fares at $456 per pax two way.

AI is listing fares at $400 per pax two way.

The difference is not that big,in that case which one would you guys recommenf?

Travelling economy and im 1.9m tall.

SQ definitely ��

Comment

It's essentially the same price so what will differentiate then:

1. Plane condition: SQ is definitely better
      2. Food: personally I prefer SQ and SQ serves good Indian food too but that's my personal taste
      3. Service: AI is improving by leaps and bounds but I still prefer SQ
      4. Miles: you have to check. I think SQ probably 10%? And AI I am not sure. Since they are both star alliance members, also depends on what program are you on.

Considering the above, then it seems obvious that SQ is better ...

But ...

The SQ timing sucks. It's an overnight flight and it is a ridiculously short sector of 3 hours. Just for this reason only, I think I might pick AI over SQ actually ...

Comment

Hi balaji67!

Nice to know SQ has competitive pricing on this sector, not much more than AI. Sometimes the SQ fare to India can be a lot higher than AI.

On this sector, SQ flies A330's: good hard product and comfortable 2-4-2 seating in Y. AI flies Dreamliners, which are great technology, but 3-3-3 in Y isn't that great, and unless you are keen to fly a 787, the A330 2-4-2 cabin on SQ is better.

Are you allowed schedule changes or ticket cancellation? If so, any fees involved? Is there a difference in ticket conditions that is important to you?

Do you need FF points? If FF points are important, check the accrual for the fare. Typical cheap SQ fares give either minimal (10%?) or no points.

Which airline's schedule is better for you? Since price and hard product aren't massively different, is there a schedule you prefer? AI has daytime flights, which may eat into your day, but at least the MAA-SIN sector isn't a redeye like SQ. On a short 3+ hour flight, MAA-SIN overnight is not going to give anyone a good night's sleep, even those in J.

Catering? I like SQ Y catering, but I also like AI's Indian veg catering.

Cabin Service? How much is a smile worth to you? :-)
        Last edited by yflyer; 5 August 2017, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by balajih67 View Post
          Hi there.posting after a long time.been busy with my NS.anyway,im travelling to chennai during the deepavali time in october.

SQ is listing all in economy fares at $456 per pax two way.

AI is listing fares at $400 per pax two way.

The difference is not that big,in that case which one would you guys recommenf?

Travelling economy and im 1.9m tall.
          I would suggest you fly once with AI then you'll be convinced SQ is the choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ_326 View Post
            I would suggest you fly once with AI then you'll be convinced SQ is the choice.
            Haha lol ... guess no teacher is better than regret ya

Comment

Actually, I just realized Balajih67 has tried both SQ and AI on his route...his previous TR can be found here. In fact, he has done a very thorough comparison of SQ and AI at the conclusion of his TR.

Although Balajih67's first sector on AI was flown entirely at a 90 degree bank angle (Sorry, couldn't resist ), the inflight experience on AI itself looks to have been decent, and my experience on the SIN-MAA sector on AI (TR here) was a positive one as well, so I would say that AI is a credible competitor to SQ on the SIN-MAA route.

So what do you think, Balajih67? Let us know what you decided on, and tell us how it went when you are back!

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                Actually, I just realized Balajih67 has tried both SQ and AI on his route...his previous TR can be found here. In fact, he has done a very thorough comparison of SQ and AI at the conclusion of his TR.

Although Balajih67's first sector on AI was flown entirely at a 90 degree bank angle (Sorry, couldn't resist ), the inflight experience on AI itself looks to have been decent, and my experience on the SIN-MAA sector on AI (TR here) was a positive one as well, so I would say that AI is a credible competitor to SQ on the SIN-MAA route.

So what do you think, Balajih67? Let us know what you decided on, and tell us how it went when you are back!

In my opinion, AI is decent. It has improved in leaps and bounds. Even the crew.

For me, the issue is the 3-3-3 across which I think is fine if it is not full. I think SQ flight tends to be more full as it carries more business pax and also connecting onwards to US and Australia.

And yes, for me, the red eye back is torturous no matter where you sit.

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
                  In my opinion, AI is decent. It has improved in leaps and bounds. Even the crew.

For me, the issue is the 3-3-3 across which I think is fine if it is not full. I think SQ flight tends to be more full as it carries more business pax and also connecting onwards to US and Australia.

And yes, for me, the red eye back is torturous no matter where you sit.
                  Sure not? Still have articles about their filthy seats, pilots turned up drunk, safety attitude etc.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ_326 View Post
                    Sure not? Still have articles about their filthy seats, pilots turned up drunk, safety attitude etc.
                    I think the press tends to sensationalize and magnify a lot of these things. Many airlines have issues, and Air India has its share, but so do many other airlines.

My experiences flying AI over the years, both on domestic sectors and on SIN-MAA / BOM-SIN sectors, have been quite positive, and as SQueeze says, they have been upping their game.

SQ is still my favourite airline, but I would happily fly Air India if price and schedule were right.

Comment

Thanks yflyer.

But as always my parents are worried about the delay and disruptions ai is famous for.....just for that they are considering SQ.

Still undecided.

Comment

Originally posted by balajih67 View Post
                        Thanks yflyer.

But as always my parents are worried about the delay and disruptions ai is famous for.....just for that they are considering SQ.

Still undecided.
                        I was also going to suggest MI which also flies to MAA, but that falls into the SQ category somewhat. The only drawback would be no entertainment system except for SilkStudio thru their Wifi. Is timing a concern? MI flights leave in the morning as opposed to SQ that leaves in the evening.

I flew AI from COK to MAA and it was delayed 4 hours but we did get an email a day before departing about this. I also have friends who have complained about AI about delays. SQ would be a better fit if you're concerned about the delay. They're known not to delay mostly but of course can if other pax are coming from other connections (i.e. SQ31), but I leave that up to you to decide what's best for you.

Comment

I think the press tends to sensationalize and magnify a lot of these things. Many airlines have issues, and Air India has its share, but so do many other airlines.

My experiences flying AI over the years, both on domestic sectors and on SIN-MAA / BOM-SIN sectors, have been quite positive, and as SQueeze says, they have been upping their game.

SQ is still my favourite airline, but I would happily fly Air India if price and schedule were right.
                          I can only say is that in air travel, all you need is 1 terribly good time by them, baked with anxiety and helplessness,, you'll regret for not biting something else for a few ten or even hundred $. I know the remoteness is subjective to individuals until you are on a dentist chair.

Comment

Working...
                          X