SQ B777 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
    It will not make it to LAX or JFK from SIN. I doubt SFO would work unless SQ goes for a very low density configuration which is highly unlikely. Who knows, SQ might go 3-4-3 in Economy with the 777-9.
    I see. Probably it will handle the 1-stop routes it currently has then.

Comment

• Hi all, I am a frequent flier on CGK-SIN-CGK flights.

With the exception of a few A350 flights, SQ seems to dedicate its oldest aircraft in the fleet to this route. I wanted to ask if anyone knows if this is correct? And if so, does it have to do with matching the lowest fuel efficiency (oldest) aircraft with a short mission? Lastly, when are the current 773s slated to be cycled out? And what would they be replaced with?

As an aside, I remember that this route had the 'honor' of having the last 773 aircraft using the old blue business class seats arranged 2-3-2 and I remember being more than happy when they retired that old bird from the fleet.

Comment

• The old 773 won't be gone for a while. They are installing the old seats from the 77W's

Comment

• Originally posted by Short Final View Post
          Hi all, I am a frequent flier on CGK-SIN-CGK flights.

With the exception of a few A350 flights, SQ seems to dedicate its oldest aircraft in the fleet to this route. I wanted to ask if anyone knows if this is correct? And if so, does it have to do with matching the lowest fuel efficiency (oldest) aircraft with a short mission? Lastly, when are the current 773s slated to be cycled out? And what would they be replaced with?

As an aside, I remember that this route had the 'honor' of having the last 773 aircraft using the old blue business class seats arranged 2-3-2 and I remember being more than happy when they retired that old bird from the fleet.
          Ah yes, dear old 9V-SYE! I think those 2-3-2 J seats are still the ones used for MNL and BKK flights which are served by SRJ & SRL.

CGK gets the 773 as it is the only short, regional destination that seems to have a high demand for an F cabin. With ever dwindling demand for F seeing it shrink down on 77W & A380 refits/new orders, it will be interesting to see if SQ retain it in a regional fleet, and if so, whether that would be in an A350 or 787. The first routes that are prioritised for new regional-config planes are likely to be the current A330 routes or premium routes with 772s. These don't currently offer F, so I suspect the decision about regional F can be put off by retaining the 773s to service CGK and upgrading their IFE and Y seats which has already occurred in 2 out of 5 of them.

Comment

• Purple cabin observations:

SVF is still flying charters for Scoot. SRL did briefly but has now returned to its regular BKK duties, covering the two flights that were previously shared between SRJ and SRL.

MNL is no longer seeing any purple cabins. Those flights are now being served largely by the 772ERs that have come off CPH and similar destinations.

SRJ ceased Scoot charters about a week ago and hasn't flown since. Could be the next one to leave the fleet. We expect all three purple cabins to be removed from service within the next 6 months.

Comment

• Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
              The old 773 won't be gone for a while. They are installing the old seats from the 77W's
              That seems correct. Besides, not sure what's currently stopping them from doing so...Could it be that currently there are 77W gone in for retrofit that after they finish by the end of the year (or so...) that the 773 will get the 2006 77W seat hand-me-downs? This is my guess.

Comment

• 9V-SQJ isn't going anywhere. Flew it on Monday to MNL on SQ918 (yay thank goodness no SRJ/L) and the J cabin has been reupholstered.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXxbJQ-g...dentertainment

Comment

• Originally posted by pokfur View Post
                  9V-SQJ isn't going anywhere. Flew it on Monday to MNL on SQ918 (yay thank goodness no SRJ/L) and the J cabin has been reupholstered.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXxbJQ-g...dentertainment
                  Did it still have the old IFE or had that been upgraded to 2006?

Comment

• While 9V-SVF is serving Scoot to Melbourne for the month of Aug, it seems like it would be back to serve MNL again in Sept according to seat map. How disappointing.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                      Did it still have the old IFE or had that been upgraded to 2006?
                      No, it still had the old IFE, sadly...

Comment

• SIA should have renewed the leases of the A330s for another 2 years or so after the initial 5 years and am sure Airbus would have extended the leases on preferred rates as many of the A350s are still not delivered. SQ is using the 772s mainly now on regional routes to BKK, JKT, MNL which is not what the 772s are designed for and running up the cycles and in fact heavier maintenance too. The older 772s should be replaced one for one with the new 16 A350s, instate of releasing the A330s, and SQ should have retained the A330s which are far more efficient and less costly maintenance than the oder 772s; and besides having a few more different and much older cabin configurations.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                          SIA should have renewed the leases of the A330s for another 2 years or so after the initial 5 years and am sure Airbus would have extended the leases on preferred rates as many of the A350s are still not delivered. SQ is using the 772s mainly now on regional routes to BKK, JKT, MNL which is not what the 772s are designed for and running up the cycles and in fact heavier maintenance too. The older 772s should be replaced one for one with the new 16 A350s, instate of releasing the A330s, and SQ should have retained the A330s which are far more efficient and less costly maintenance than the oder 772s; and besides having a few more different and much older cabin configurations.
                          It maybe the case the Singapore Airlines owns the 772's, and they owe them nothing. And in aircraft age terms, these birds are only getting to mid life now. United are flying original 772's from 1995 as is Cathay from 1997. Qantas just retired its oldest aircraft VH-OJM, a 747-400 with 26 years service and was still going strong. I just don't see Singapore's urge to update aircraft so frequently anymore.
                          Last edited by qantas_flyer; 19 August 2017, 03:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by qantas_flyer View Post
                            I just don't see Singapore's urge to update aircraft so frequently anymore.
                            That's still no valid excuse for the outdated and inferior product onboard the 772s. When you fly SQ, you expect a premium service because of the price you pay (and not to mention their reputation). At least other airlines will extensively upgrade their older aircraft. SQ's 772 "refit" was half-baked, with Y actually getting worse with those uncomfortable, patchy seat covers.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaywell View Post
                              That's still no valid excuse for the outdated and inferior product onboard the 772s. When you fly SQ, you expect a premium service because of the price you pay (and not to mention their reputation). At least other airlines will extensively upgrade their older aircraft. SQ's 772 "refit" was half-baked, with Y actually getting worse with those uncomfortable, patchy seat covers.
                              While I agree with your sentiments, Singapore Airlines is showing that they will give the markets products that they'll bear. I also add that the management of SIA has clearly changed in last five years. They have more brands which means they can capture all parts of the market with any of their products, inferior or not. Anyways, I am probably getting away from what this thread was intended for.

Comment

• What seems clear, is that SQ intends to keep on a number of older 777s for some time, although at a certain level it is unclear exactly why. The A330s will leave and the large batch of A350s will keep coming, along with other Boeing orders.

The decision to retro-fit ex-77W 2006 interior equipment in SVB and SVC was the definitive signal of this approach. If a smaller fleet of old 777s were to be maintained as a stop gap measure, you would not logically begin with the oldest plane in the entire passenger fleet. SVF, SRJ and SRL are not quite as old as SVB, but they are most likely to be the set of 3 that depart from the fleet before April next year. The only rational reason I can see for this is that they contain old, outdated J cabins. That suggests then, that the old 772s are being retained for the value of their J cabins, particularly the relatively newer 1-2-1 layout products fitted in the SV* series.

We've seen refitting of one or more Y cabins in all four series of old 777s, namely SQ*, SR*, SV* and SY*. None of that points to retiring any specific set or series. I suspect we might be about to see the departure of SRJ, however.

Comment

Working...
                                X