SQTalk  

Go Back   SQTalk > Singapore Airlines > KrisFlyer & PPS Club

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th July 2017, 06:21 PM   #1
NoChanceToDance
SQTalk Elite Silver
 
Join Date: 03-May-2013
Location: MEL
Programs: KF G, QF S, EK S, VA
Posts: 61
Thumbs down No longer able to upgrade from Y to J?

Just booked a return flexi fare from MEL to LHR, with the intention to use miles to upgrade to Business on the return leg, but now can only upgrade to PEY?!

The flexi fares are already expensive enough, and now they're taking away the ability to upgrade directly to business?? Or is there something I'm missing?

Does this mean that we now have to spend the ridiculous PEY fares in order to upgrade to J?

I apologise if this has been brought up several times before.

Very disappointed.
NoChanceToDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2017, 06:51 PM   #2
zilchster
SQTalk PPS Club
 
Join Date: 10-Aug-2008
Posts: 320
Default

You still can upgrade from Economy to Business. It is clearly on the website.

http://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/pd...radeCharts.pdf
zilchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2017, 07:50 PM   #3
cowie
SQTalk Elite Silver
 
Join Date: 27-May-2016
Location: SIN
Programs: SQ PPS
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilchster View Post
You still can upgrade from Economy to Business. It is clearly on the website.

http://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/pd...radeCharts.pdf
I'm afraid not. In the fine print: "Upgrade award tickets are offered on a one-class upgrade basis. Upgrades from Economy Class to Business Class are only applicable to flights without Premium Economy Class. Please check the classes available on the flight before making a redemption."
cowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 01:43 AM   #4
maestro
SQTalker
 
Join Date: 21-Nov-2014
Posts: 29
Default

Half correct But VERY annoying!!

You can now only upgrade from Economy to Business when there is NO Premium Economy on that aircraft.

On aircraft where there IS Premium Economy, you can only upgrade from Economy to Premium Economy OR from Premium Economy to Business.

The major problem arises when you have a route like Brisbane to Paris where you can no longer upgrade AT ALL! Because the first flight does not have Premium Economy but the second flight DOES! Thus, there is no possible way to even do an upgrade on that routing (and many others in the network).

I complained to Singapore Airlines months ago, but to no avail.
maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 05:31 PM   #5
aflyer
SQTalker
 
Join Date: 10-Aug-2017
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
Half correct But VERY annoying!!

You can now only upgrade from Economy to Business when there is NO Premium Economy on that aircraft.

On aircraft where there IS Premium Economy, you can only upgrade from Economy to Premium Economy OR from Premium Economy to Business.

The major problem arises when you have a route like Brisbane to Paris where you can no longer upgrade AT ALL! Because the first flight does not have Premium Economy but the second flight DOES! Thus, there is no possible way to even do an upgrade on that routing (and many others in the network).

I complained to Singapore Airlines months ago, but to no avail.
Interesting, because mySQupgrade allows you to bid cash for just one leg of a journey with PE on one leg but not both... may be a bug in the system rather than a deliberate decision!
aflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 08:48 AM   #6
Airtropolis
SQTalker
 
Join Date: 26-Dec-2007
Posts: 23
Default

Have not done upgrades with miles for a long time. If I really want a business (or first class for that matter) experience and have limited miles, I just do a one way redemption on that class and then buy a very cheap economy airfare in the other direction back - perhaps on another airline - this often works out to be a more affordable option than trying to buy a flexible and upgrade-able economy ticket
Airtropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 11:10 AM   #7
zilchster
SQTalk PPS Club
 
Join Date: 10-Aug-2008
Posts: 320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtropolis View Post
Have not done upgrades with miles for a long time. If I really want a business (or first class for that matter) experience and have limited miles, I just do a one way redemption on that class and then buy a very cheap economy airfare in the other direction back - perhaps on another airline - this often works out to be a more affordable option than trying to buy a flexible and upgrade-able economy ticket
I second this. It is probably more worth it - monetary wise. And I will redeem ex-SIN and get a cheap one way ticket to SIN. One ways out of SIN can be ex.
zilchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 11:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Techadmin: Luke | Hosting: www.lomag.net