No announcement yet.

How many DSLR users here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leica glass is the best. They also tend to appreciate in value (older vintage models). I'm happy to let you try the M-series anytime you'd like, yflyer, seeing as we're overdue to meet, and we are both based in SIN. Got quite a bit of rare stuff also

Ultimately, the best camera is the one that makes you go out and take photos!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyo View Post
      Leica glass is the best. They also tend to appreciate in value (older vintage models). I'm happy to let you try the M-series anytime you'd like, yflyer, seeing as we're overdue to meet, and we are both based in SIN. Got quite a bit of rare stuff also

Wow...sounds you are a real fan! (And collector!)

Yes we should meet up at some point! Not in Singapore this week, otherwise I would suggest heading to Changi for a stake-out to do some A350 spotting...

Comment

• I'm actually on my way to Changi in 30 seconds to do just that

Sadly, longest lens I have is a 90mm...

Comment

Sadly, longest lens I have is a 90mm...
          No problem if you've a largish sensor. Looking forward to the pics.

Comment

• Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
            No problem if you've a largish sensor. Looking forward to the pics.
            Pics are uploaded. And yes, the sensor is Full Frame, not too shabby, but the tinting on T3's windows are very noticeable

Comment

• My Olympus E-P2 just died on me at the worst possible moment. Literally 4 hours after boarding the Diamond Princess for a short cruise to Malaysia earlier this month. Fortunately I had my iPhone and did take lots of pics with that for the rest of the trip.

There are quite a few photography buffs here...anyone have suggestions for a new camera?

My spec is below...not sure if any single camera fits these requirements:

1. Most important requirement: takes good pictures (lens + sensor)

2. Need wide angle (Hotel pics), close-up (Food pics), telephoto (airport pics, air-to-ground pics). Ideally a zoom lens.

3. Not too large or heavy. Already have too much in my carry-on.

4. Shoots HD video. 4K nice to have, but not essential.

5. Optical image stabilization would be useful.

6. The camera will be used to shoot holidays, food and TRs. But folks here already know that.

Any advice appreciated!

Comment

Leica glass is the best. They also tend to appreciate in value (older vintage models). I'm happy to let you try the M-series anytime you'd like, yflyer, seeing as we're overdue to meet, and we are both based in SIN. Got quite a bit of rare stuff also

Hi Kyo...might just take you up on your offer to try the M-series! I'll try not to wreck it...

Comment

• I'm AMERICAN…through and through. Not really into the red dot just to have it. That said, their stuff is quite incredible.

HUGE Sony fan -- especially what they've been doing lately.

Check out the DigitalRev boys (before they disbanded) and their first look at the RX100M5 and the a6500:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxdOSSXJjP0

The Camera Store's video should play right afterwards to give you a hands-on look at the a6500.
                  HUGE AL

Comment

• yflyer: doesn't it depend on whether you want to use existing (?) lenses ?

Otherwise, I got a Sony RX100M3 a couple of years ago for someone and was very pleased with how compact and versatile it is. no doubt the latest M5 (as recommended by HUGE AL) is even better.

HUGE AL: the DigitalRev boys have disbanded ?!? I just watched their goodbye and later videos on their personal YouTube channels. Will be interested to see what they each get up to next!

One of those videos - a big Hello Kiity camera maybe, yflyer ?

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                      I'm AMERICAN…through and through. Not really into the red dot just to have it. That said, their stuff is quite incredible.

HUGE Sony fan -- especially what they've been doing lately.

Check out the DigitalRev boys (before they disbanded) and their first look at the RX100M5 and the a6500:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxdOSSXJjP0

The Camera Store's video should play right afterwards to give you a hands-on look at the a6500.
                      Thanks, HUGE AL!

The Rx100M5 wasn't on my radar previously...it is now!

Comment

• Thanks for your help, jhm!

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                        yflyer: doesn't it depend on whether you want to use existing (?) lenses ?
                        My main lens also failed at the around the same time the camera malfunctioned...an unhappy coincidence, so I am ok with changing lenses too. I was amazed that a lens could actually fail (Probably the electronics in it). I thought a lens was just glass, and maybe the aperture mechanism, which typically lasts forever.

I am sure at the top end, the best lenses will make a difference, but for casual use, is the choice of lens maker really a non-issue, given that the basic quality of lenses these days is quite good?

Otherwise, I got a Sony RX100M3 a couple of years ago for someone and was very pleased with how compact and versatile it is. no doubt the latest M5 (as recommended by HUGE AL) is even better.
                        Yes, the M5 does look interesting...

One of those videos - a big Hello Kiity camera maybe, yflyer ?
                        Mrs yflyer is the hello kitty fan! I've never been able to figure out what the fuss over Hello Kitty was about, but I doubt I am the target demographic for Sanrio's products...

Comment

• Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                          I am sure at the top end, the best lenses will make a difference, but for casual use, is the choice of lens maker really a non-issue, given that the basic quality of lenses these days is quite good?
                          For me at least (holiday snaps), I'm sure the quality of the lens makes very little difference to how my photos turn out!

If you go for the Sony, I'd suggest the attachment grip (basically a piece of plastic/rubber which is stuck on). A bit irritating that Sony didn't include it but but decided to nickel and dime people by selling it as an extra (only £12). It makes a big difference to the feel of the camera. They also don't include a separate battery charger (you have to charge using the camera) so you might want to pick that (£44) up as well as a spare battery.

Comment

Hi Kyo...might just take you up on your offer to try the M-series! I'll try not to wreck it...
                            Sure thing, let me know... just saw the message you left

And just flew back in from BKK, so the camera is ready for you

Comment

Thanks, HUGE AL!

I bought the M2 some years ago. And I still use it. As a compact, it's wonderful - light and portable. Great in low light, indoors especially museums etc. Noise is mostly tolerable if you use the pics for social media, etc.

The downside of the M2 to me was the autofocus. An example would be when shooting through a plane's window; it would focus on the window not the outside - I have to go into manual focus to deal with it (not easy if you use reading glasses). The other negative would be the battery - but easily solved by buying one or two spares.

I presume the M5 has solved the autofocus problem, though I understand that the battery performance is worse. Let me know how you test it.

Comment

• Originally posted by jhm View Post
                                HUGE AL: the DigitalRev boys have disbanded ?!? I just watched their goodbye and later videos on their personal YouTube channels. Will be interested to see what they each get up to next!
                                Not sure if there was a question in there...

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                                Thanks, HUGE AL!

It is quite the awesome camera.
                                HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                                X