One World RTW questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
    Is someone just trying to increase her Post Count?

TPP isn't ALL that.
    HUGE AL

Comment

I wanted to do these two segments :
      GMP-HND
      NRT-SIN

But the tool is telling me that I have selected a flight a cross-city connection, increasing the number of segments?

Comment

I wanted to do these two segments :
        GMP-HND
        NRT-SIN

But the tool is telling me that I have selected a flight a cross-city connection, increasing the number of segments?
        Airport changes even within the same city are considered surface segments, and they do count towards your 16 segment limit.

Code:
         A MINIMUM OF 3 AND A MAXIMUM OF 16 SEGMENTS                
             INCLUDING [B]SURFACE SEGMENTS BETWEEN ANY 2 AIRPORTS [/B]         
             ARE PERMITTED FOR THE ENTIRE JOURNEY.
        If Cuba is involved at all, AA would not ticket it. Who could I ticket with with such a routing?
        Not only would they not ticket it, AA can't participate in your itinerary at all if Cuba is involved.
        Last edited by KeithMEL; 7 April 2009, 10:19 AM.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          Not only would they not ticket it, AA can't participate in your itinerary at all if Cuba is involved.
          Though Congress is debating this issue now, so it shouldn't last too much longer.
          HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
            Though Congress is debating this issue now, so it shouldn't last too much longer.
            That implies that I should go to Cuba quick before the 'invasion' starts.

Seriously, Cuba is attractive to me at present only because it seems to be in a time warp. I want to capture that before it all changes.

Comment

If you want to include Cuba and North America on xONEx at present the only intra-North America options are

JL YVR-MEX vv
              LA YYZ-JFK vv

and of course no intercontinental AA flights either.

If don't want to waste a continent, then I'd suggest xONEx that includes South America and pick up separate SCL(or LIM?)-HAV return or don't include HAV on the RTW but include MEX and pick up separate MEX-HAV return (these are relatively cheap on several airlines).

Comment

Seriously, Cuba is attractive to me at present only because it seems to be in a time warp. I want to capture that before it all changes.
                FWIW I too want to visit before opened up to North Americans. However I don't think the current talk will lead to rapid change in the rule - so I figure I have at least another year.

Comment

With a ICN-SIN-BOM-LHR-Europe-South America-Asia routing, would that be a DONE3 or 4?

Was rather confused with this statement in the rule sheet:
                  Travel between Japan and Brazil on a single flight number is considered travelling Asia-North America-
                  South America through three continents

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                    FWIW I too want to visit before opened up to North Americans. However I don't think the current talk will lead to rapid change in the rule - so I figure I have at least another year.
                    My rtw only starts in Sept 09 and because I won't get to South America until April 10 at least, I might do a simple LHR-HAV AF return late 09/early 10 instead. Still planning!

Comment

It seems I can't do a DONE3 with this combination? All flights from South America to Asia need to go via North America, Europe or Aus/NZ. Which would be 4 continents!
                      With a ICN-SIN-BOM-LHR-Europe-South America-Asia routing, would that be a DONE3 or 4?

Travel between Japan and Brazil on a single flight number is considered travelling Asia-North America-
                      Just to clarify (not sure how phaleesy and I missed it yesterday) - JL fly GRU-NRT.

Comment

Thanks, Kiwi. You've no idea how much help and advice you've given me. I owe you a drink.

If you want to include Cuba and North America on xONEx at present the only intra-North America options are
                        JL YVR-MEX vv
                        LA YYZ-JFK vv
                        Without knowledge of these intra-North America flights, I would have thought I could do Cuba only in the North America continent.

But with Cuba on the ticket, I thought one would not be able to step into the States, so presumably I could not go to JFK really?

If don't want to waste a continent, then I'd suggest xONEx that includes South America and pick up separate SCL(or LIM?)-HAV return or don't include HAV on the RTW but include MEX and pick up separate MEX-HAV return (these are relatively cheap on several airlines).
                        That was one of my options.
                        Last edited by phaleesy; 8 April 2009, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                          Just to clarify (not sure how phaleesy and I missed it yesterday) - JL fly GRU-NRT.
                          I found this flight tonight. Are there any flights out from South America back to Asia without going through North America.

BTW, I found out that we could go to Papette from Easter Island and Santiago. Seems like an inexpensive way of getting to the Tahiti. Would it then be a wasted continent (again)?

I know I could get back to Asia from Tahiti. But how would I get from Tahiti to NZ/Aus to continue the RTW since I'd be in the South Pacific continent now?

Lots of questions. But I'm also doing my homework by looking through flight schedules myself.
                          Last edited by phaleesy; 8 April 2009, 09:35 AM.

Comment

But with Cuba on the ticket, I thought one would not be able to step into the States, so presumably I could not go to JFK really?
                            I've read through the rules again (all these rules!) and it seems to state only that there should be no AA flight segments on the same ticket. It does not say that we cannot go into the States. So New York is good!

JL YVR-MEX vv
                            LA YYZ-JFK vv
                            Add YVR-JFK on CX.

Lovely miles to be racked up here. All is not lost!

Comment

DONE4, because North America is touched even if you ticket GRU-NRT as a single coupon.

Thanks, Kiwi. You've no idea how much help and advice you've given me. I owe you a drink.

Without knowledge of these intra-North America flights, I would have thought I could do Cuba only in the North America continent.

That was one of my options.
                              That is my point. If you fly to Cuba as part of xONEx then you essentially waste a continent due to the no-AA flights rule. Okay you could do ...-MAD-HAV//MEX-YVR-((JFK-)HKG or NRT) with surface segment between HAV and MEX.

I found this flight tonight. Are there any flights out from South America back to Asia without going through North America.

BTW, I found out that we could go to Papette from Easter Island and Santiago. Seems like an inexpensive way of getting to the Tahiti. Would it then be a wasted continent (again)?

I know I could get back to Asia from Tahiti. But how would I get from Tahiti to NZ/Aus to continue the RTW since I'd be in the South Pacific continent now?

Lots of questions. But I'm also doing my homework by looking through flight schedules myself.
                              Papeete cannot be usefully done on xONEx because the only OW flight there is LAN SCL-(IPC-)PPT, but Tahiti is in SWP continent and SCL is in south america. Thus you have a surface sector between PPT and AKL or SYD. This is a very expensive route to fly (or cruise) one-way.

You can include Easter Island SCL-IPC-SCL.

I've read through the rules again (all these rules!) and it seems to state only that there should be no AA flight segments on the same ticket. It does not say that we cannot go into the States. So New York is good!

Add YVR-JFK on CX.

Lovely miles to be racked up here. All is not lost!
                              Something like ICN-HKG-SIN-BOM-LHR-xxx-LHR-MAD-HAV-SCL-IPC-SCL-GRU-NRT-ICN works with 2 spare sectors which can be used anywhere except Asia, provided only 2 stopovers between HKG, SIN, BOM and NRT. It also relies on QF flying (with 5th freedom rights) SIN-BOM. Of course such a routing could not be ticketed with AA - LAN also has low fuel surcharges but are a pain to deal with.

Comment

If you fly to Cuba as part of xONEx then you essentially waste a continent due to the no-AA flights rule. Okay you could do ...-MAD-HAV//MEX-YVR-((JFK-)HKG or NRT) with surface segment between HAV and MEX.
                                phaleesy can confirm later when she reads this but IIRC she's thinking of:

MAD-HAV-SCL-(LA operated by AM)-MEX-(JL)-YVR-(CX)-JFK and then on CX to Asia via Canada IIRC

Does this work ?

Papeete cannot be usefully done on xONEx because the only OW flight there is LAN SCL-(IPC-)PPT, but Tahiti is in SWP continent and SCL is in south america. Thus you have a surface sector between PPT and AKL or SYD. This is a very expensive route to fly (or cruise) one-way.
                                Can you avoid the surface sector by taking the JL codeshare on TN PPT-NRT ? Or is the problem with this that the whole continent - SWP - is then wasted and therefore not economical ?

It also relies on QF flying (with 5th freedom rights) SIN-BOM.
                                IIRC, this flight is what she wants. When you say this, do you mean that it may not be possbile to take QF ?

TIA again!

Comment

Working...
                                X