Oh Noooooooooo!! Lufthansa confirms takeover of BMI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
    There is a master thread to compare the *A FFPs but it mostly relates to pre-LH take over of BD so some of the info might no longer be current:
    http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1621

That depends on one's flying patterns. I have looked at TK, AC and OZ in the past and they don't seem too onerous in general especially if one flies Economy.
    post deleted
    Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 03:56 AM.

Comment

If its just purely *G, have a look at OZ. OZ on 1/Oct revamped their FFP so its worth another look. 40K to *G over a 2 year qualifying period. Fly 1M miles and you'll get lifetime *G.

Comment

Virgin Atlantic pursues tie-up with bmi

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/feedarticle/7950159

Virgin Atlantic pounced on the chance to forge a tie-up with British airline bmi on Wednesday immediately after Germany's Lufthansa announced it was poised to become bmi's majority shareholder.

Virgin Atlantic Chief Executive Steve Ridgway told Reuters bmi would make a good fit with Virgin Atlantic and provide a stronger competitor to Heathrow kingpin British Airways.

Bringing Virgin and bmi together would be good both for Lufthansa and its Star Alliance airlines grouping, he said, adding Bishop's "smart" deal left UK aviation at a crossroads.

Ridgway declined to say whether Virgin Atlantic, which has long coveted a deal with independent-minded bmi, would seek to buy out Lufthansa or seek a three-way deal between them now that Lufthansa holds the cards.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Damn, Savage25!

HUGE AL

Comment

Just a heads up for those who are based in the UK, you can get 9000 miles for 12 pounds by subscribing to the economist. Pretty good bargain if you are short of some miles for redemptions

Open the link: https://www.economistsubscriptions.com/BMI/index.php
            You will see some standard offer like 93 pounds for 9000 miles etc.

Close the link and a pop-up will appear with a better offer of 12 pounds for 9000 miles.

Remember to disable pop-ups for this to work.

You need a UK bank account to pay for it as they do not accept credit cards

Too bad for me

Comment

post deleted

Originally posted by zander View Post
              Just a heads up for those who are based in the UK, you can get 9000 miles for 12 pounds by subscribing to the economist. Pretty good bargain if you are short of some miles for redemptions

Open the link: https://www.economistsubscriptions.com/BMI/index.php
              You will see some standard offer like 93 pounds for 9000 miles etc.

Close the link and a pop-up will appear with a better offer of 12 pounds for 9000 miles.

Remember to disable pop-ups for this to work.

You need a UK bank account to pay for it as they do not accept credit cards

Too bad for me
              Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 03:56 AM.

Comment

Just notice this in TOF. Is this a move in anticipation of merging BD DC into LH Miles&More? I mean it curbs the desire of frequent flyers to pile miles on BD DC, thus will reduce the liability in the future?

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                  Just notice this in TOF. Is this a move in anticipation of merging BD DC into LH Miles&More? I mean it curbs the desire of frequent flyers to pile miles on BD DC, thus will reduce the liability in the future?
                  Likely LH's influence. The bonus miles are costing far too much. Some of those impacted may end up being offered HON status.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                    thanks for the heads-up.

Comment

Lufthansa said to have no current plans to raise BMI stake

http://www.iht.com/articles/reuters/...-LUFTHANSA.php

Deutsche Lufthansa has made no concrete decisions about buying the remaining 20 percent stake in its British airline unit BMI, Lufthansa's Chief Executive Wolfgang Mayrhuber told a German newspaper.

Before any further decisions are made, BMI must first be turned into a profit-making airline, Mayrhuber said in an interview with Boerzen-Zeitung printed on Saturday.

The German flag carrier owns an 80 percent stake in the British airline, while Scandinavian airline SAS owns the remaining 20 percent.

"Afterwards, we can look at long-term strategic options, which are offered us through BMI's strong positioning London's Heathrow airport," Mayrhuber said.
                      The CEO said his airline would look carefully at different options.

"Does a stand-alone position make sense; how would things be with a partner? At the moment we don't have a preference," he said.

The head of what is soon to become Europe's largest airline -- should its takeover of Austrian Airlines be approved by the European Union -- would not comment about a possible strategic partnership with Alitalia or whether

Lufthansa might buy stake a SAS, the paper said.

Lufthansa is vying with Air France-KLM to strike an alliance with bankrupt Alitalia.

The German carrier is currently feeling the affects of the financial crisis, like its competitors, but does not have financing problems nor are there any concerns about its long-term strategy, Mayrhuber said.

"Lufthansa has very good creditworthiness. Whoever can't give us at the moment, just can't give anyone anything at the moment," Mayrhuber said.

Comment

So I wake up this morning earlier than usual... and boom:

Changes to buying miles
                        The maximum number of miles you can buy or be gifted is changing to 24,000 per year.

From 1 March, you can buy or be gifted a combined total of 24,000 destinations miles within a calendar year. Destinations miles can be purchased in denominations of 1,000 and start from £12.

Example One: If you bought 10,000 miles in January, you may buy up to 14,000 miles before the end of the year.
                        Example Two: As a recipient of the miles, you may be bought up to 24,000 miles by any number of Diamond Club members.
                        To buy or gift miles, simply log into your account and go to the Diamond Club Members Area.
                        It's all over Red Rover... LH undoubtedly making its mark

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                          So I wake up this morning earlier than usual... and boom:

It's all over Red Rover... LH undoubtedly making its mark
                          i have never taken advantage of the buying miles, but it is bad news indeed.

Comment

The impacts will be... significant, I'm sure.

At any rate, I'm soon at the 55k+ club, so hoping things don't change on that angle! Then all will still be good! *end wishful thinking*

Comment

You're not losing much. Its effective from 1 march....which leaves you plenty of time to still buy/gift up to 100K miles into your account while the £ is weak. As for next year, I doubt DC will be around then, so its no big loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
                                You're not losing much. Its effective from 1 march....which leaves you plenty of time to still buy/gift up to 100K miles into your account while the £ is weak.
                                Unless your previous 12-month period of buying said miles has been maxed out..

Also, they amended it awhile back to max 80K

Comment

Working...
                                X