No announcement yet.

What do you think of UA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been on UA metal just once (MEL-AKL as far as I remember) and it was really cool. It was a Boeing 747-400 and I was like 12 years old or so. Anyway, the FA called me cutie and honey so I really enjoyed my flight.

I did not like the old grey UA livery but the new one is simply stunning. I really want to fly them as their new corporate identity is gorgeous and I can't resist the temptation to try it out.

Annnnyway, I <3 UA!
    Home is where your heart is.

Comment

just to drag this completly off-topic, I loved the grey livery! it was much more sophisticated than the new almost garish blue livery they have now

Comment

Unless you want to be talked down to by a crew member the size of a bus, avoid UA...well at least UA domestic.

Let's just say because of UA, I missed my connecting flight on SQ three times, each time they claimed weather as a reason, bc an Act of God is the only reason that they are not liable to put you on the next available flight for.

Then, they lost my luggage for three weeks. They flew it back to Singapore without me being on the plane, which I thought was a security risk, which the TSA and the whatchamacallit aviation authority I contacted would not respond to.

Then they refused to give me any compensation.

Then I got this HUGE older trolley dolley that would have been retired by any Asian airline in a snap, bark at me just because I asked for water, which was duly supplied by this erm nice hot person next to me...so it all worked out. haha....

The airline should go the way of Pan Am, the US should get a new national carrier and let SQ manage it.

Side note: Have you noticed that carriers can sometimes offer the sort of service opposite to what you get in their home countries? Singapore is not known for good service, yet SQ is like tops. UA sucks in the air, but let's face it, service in the US is fabulous! Which is why shopping and eating in the US is such a joy....
        Have Passport Will Travel!

Comment

I think United Air Lines have a way to go but they are beginning to realise the importance of customer service differentiation.

Certainly when I experienced them to Hong Kong, the aircraft was antiquated and I was sitting in a non-ergonomically designed seat with no individual entertainment system. However, their Singaporean crew were very good, some of them ex-SQ. The service was very friendly and nice and they made do with what they had.

I noticed that even though they were very good, they stuck to the policies of UA. One example I could cite was that they didn't really come out for drinks services or walk through the cains on rounds - they kept to themselves because they weren't required to do any of that extra service stuff.

But United seems like a nice airline.

Comment

I don't think very highly of UA. Service within the US is almost non-existent. Did a EWR-LAX once and all we got was a mere 2-drinks. Went to the rear of the plane to use the restrooms and what do I find? FA writing her cheques and paying her bills?

The only reason I fly UA is like SQFG said because of its US network.

Comment

With talk that UA would merge with CO, do you think they would get any better? I just hope that MP and E+ would stay...

Comment

I must say I still love United Airlines. The first frequent flyer program I joined. And I had flown with them for more than 20 years now. I have flown on UA almost 2 million miles for the span of those years. And yes, there were ups and downs, but IMHO, UA is still the best one for me for the north america travels.
                Since you guys are talking about SQ and other *A to maximize the miles earned in your FFP, yes, there is US Airways as an alternative for you guys in the US. But I tried, and did not like them. And what the latest news about this US Airways? Look at this.

Comment

Just flew SFO-SAN-SFO yesterday. 40 min before SFO departure, the aircraft wasn't at the gate. I asked the gate agent, ?Mezna?, what time she would be boarding as I wondered if I had time to run to the RCC. Her reply: "It's printed on your boarding pass...can't you read?" I blasted her back and will be writing UA.

I really hate them sometimes.

On the return flight, however, Purser MJ was working F and was AWESOME. Great attitude! I told her she should be the trainer for all their employees. UA will hear about her as well.
                  HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by impresta View Post
                    I <3 UA! They gave me my first ever op-up from E to E+! I know its still in E but its my first ever Op-up while only having basic Aeroplan...not even *S
                    They were the first to give me an op up too - from E to E+. I flashed my Silver krisflyer card however

Comment

UA is kind of inconsistent to me. I've missed my SQ flight due to one delay of more that 3 hours and had to transit through SFO when my LAX - ORD direct flight was cancelled and wasted my 3 hours. However, if you fly E+, its not bad as most of the time it isn't full even though E can be full, so there would be plenty of extra space if you are lucky. I've also gotten a free upgrade to business on one of my legs (HKG - SIN).

Prices and convenience is one of the main reason that I fly UA as SQ does not go to Chicago, UA offers plenty of discounted fares with mileage accural.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                        I must say I still love United Airlines. The first frequent flyer program I joined. And I had flown with them for more than 20 years now. I have flown on UA almost 2 million miles for the span of those years. And yes, there were ups and downs, but IMHO, UA is still the best one for me for the north america travels.
                        Since you guys are talking about SQ and other *A to maximize the miles earned in your FFP, yes, there is US Airways as an alternative for you guys in the US. But I tried, and did not like them. And what the latest news about this US Airways? Look at this.
                        While I haven't been flying them consistently for quite as many years, my experiences and feelings are similar to yours. For each of the past four years I've flown 75-100+ revenue segments with UA (counting award trips would raise that number significantly); the three years prior to that I flew roughly 40-60 revenue segments (each year) with UA. Prior to that my travel was a bit less often, covered between UA and two other US-based carriers, and I didn't pay as much attention to issues (or lack thereof). I'd guess my sample size is significantly larger than most of the naysayers here.

There are some inconsistencies (which you'll find in any of the US-based carriers, not just UA), but they've been good for me through the years. With one exception, my "worst" flight has had "okay" service. This does not include flights which are short enough in duration that most US carriers (not just UA) don't offer a beverage service. In my experiences, the most inconsistencies come from flights which are marketed as "United Express" and are operated by regional carriers (not UA). Some regional carriers certainly are better than others (any of the Republic subsidiaries, IME) and some are certainly worse (IME, Mesa is to be avoided if at all possible).

I've had many flights which had very good (sometimes excellent) service, including transpacs and transatlantics which are the routes held by the more senior FAs. While some may complain about the "age" of these FAs, I've found many of them to be very attentive as they remember what it was like to be working in the premium cabins before any of the "cuts" in service began to be made and many of them still go the extra mile to make for a nice flight. I may not receive "SQ service levels" on my UA flights, but I don't require that level of attention, though many here apparently do. I've had the same experiences with ground services, and the team at one of my two home airports (a line station) is the reason I became loyal to UA in the first place. I won't go into details here, but several of you here have heard the stories.

Twice in recent months (since late November 2007) I've had UA proactively protect me on an earlier flight due to operational reasons, and they've called to notify me (a friend who also posts here on SQT was with me the first time, which also happened to be the busiest travel day of the year in the US) of the potential change rather than letting me wait until I reached the airport. I certainly can't complain about that!

I certainly echo SQ LPP's comments for those who don't want to fly UA but insist on staying within the *A network for maximizing miles. For others, there are plenty of other US-based carriers to choose from, and (unless corporate travel requirements dictate otherwise) there is no reason to fly an airline one thinks so poorly of. Unless, of course, one just enjoys having something to complain about.
                        Last edited by cawhite; 20 February 2008, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cawhite View Post
                          Some regional carriers certainly are better than others (any of the Republic subsidiaries, IME) and some are certainly worse (IME, Mesa is to be avoided if at all possible).
                          I can't remember which one I flew - maybe the Wisconsin one and Chautauqua or both i think - and they were both pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                            I can't remember which one I flew - maybe the Wisconsin one and Chautauqua or both i think - and they were both pretty good.
                            Chautauqua is one of the Republic subisidiaries, and IME they're usually very good as regionals go. Even better if you're in F on the EMB170, not just for the seat, but the FAs usually tend to be fairly attentive to those in the F cabin. Slightly OT, but my first lightning strike was on one of their EMB170's which had been in service for about 6 weeks.

IME, Air Wisconsin usually isn't much better than Mesa. This is usually w/r/t ground staff and "reliability" issues, though.

YMMV, of course.
                            Last edited by cawhite; 19 February 2008, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Most of you probably think I'm crazy but I dumped SQ PPS to foxus on remaining a good and very loyal 1K ex UGS...

UA has always been good to me. They look after me, award travel is easy to come by and I've claimed many an SQ flight using my MP miles. The 1K desk even goes out of their way to help me out. The SIN airport staff are great and go out of their way to help each and every time and they even know me by name both at the airport and SIN local ticketing office.

In flight, yes, the FAs are old enough to be my grandmother but they have never treated me badly and honestly I remember one flight where I was so tired and slept all the way from NRT to ORD and only woke up when the FA woke me up after we had touched down and everyone had disembarked... The FA was nice enough to ask if I was ok and had packed my meal without the big tray in a bag just in case I was hungry together with a bottle of water... and all of this in Y!

I'm not a demanding customer and honestly, I just like being left alone during the flight. No PTV sucks but i just catch up on sleep!

For those who know me, you know how I feel about UA. They are not great but they certainly don;t deserve all the criticism leveled on them. They are an average carrier and in the US, I would even dare say, they are quite darn good. They have always looked after me and when they sense something's about to go wrong with my flights, have always protected me on alternative flights. They even paid for my cab fare from BWI to IAD when there was a fault with my aircraft from BWI to SFO and all this in Y...

Food isn't too bad except they could change it more often... as much as I love chicken teriyaki with rice, 6 months of it is too much!!!

So, given a choice, I would fly UA domestically over anyone else especially AA... eeks... Internationally, I still don't mind UA especially when we get double miles on super discounted fares vs no miles on SQ...

Just my humble 2 cents worth...

Comment

Originally posted by sfvoyage View Post
                                Have you spent much time on the UA board on flyertalk? If not, please do, as you'll get a very good sense of UA from the very numerous, informative, and opinionated posts from a very active and sometimes over-the-top member base.

I used to fly UA frequently when I was living in the US. Since moving to Asia, I try to avoid them whenever possible. I do have to admit, however, that since being 1K, my UA ground experience has improved dramatically, mostly thanks to my calls being routed to their US call centers, staffed with mostly competent and friendly staff.

In the air, I think it's not unreasonable to say that UA sucks. Someone mentioned that their Asian-based crew is good, and it's mostly true, but only when compared to their US-based crew, which is very inconsistent and mostly bad.

Flying ex-NRT, I am a bit sheltered from the typically horrible UA service. But otherwise, you can expect surly and lazy 'service' most of the time, hostile 'service' at times, and good service once in a while.

They are now marketing their next generation F suites & J lie-flat seats, which, by the way, will take a while to get installed on their long-haul fleet. I believe to-date only 1 aircraft is operational with the new F & J seats. But even with the new hardware, the experience will still be inferior. That's why their F & J cabins are filled with mostly upgrades and UA staff. (Supposedly their management knows about the bad service but can't do much due to the strong union. There are, of course, other factors contributing to the bad service, such as cultural differences, training, pay, etc. and these have been discussed over and over on flyertalk...

My strategy is: try to avoid UA whenever possible, and when flying them, expect the worst and be thankful if you luck out with a good crew.
                                Yup. Agree with all the above. I'm trapped in SFO and UA is my main airline whenever I want to go anywhere. Service generally sucks, the planes are hella old with no AVOD. UA is making a big deal out of the one 767 that has the new (for UA) flat seats in C. Big whoop. One plane.

There are many more passengers that fly in Y and when it came for the first round of cuts, guess where the Y improvements went? Into Glenn Tilton's and the Unions' pocket.

How an airline treats their Y passengers is a better gauge of its quality. SQ gives its Y passengers full AVOD, decent food and good service. UA gives its Y passengers NO AVOD, NO food (on domestic long hauls) and BAD BAD BAD (in general) service!

Comment

Working...
                                X