V Australia To Launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V Australia To Launch

According to another website, VA have uploaded their first schedule to Amadeus between SYD and LAX as follows:

Daily from 15th December

SYD-LAX (Daily)

VA1 DEP SYD 9.45PM Arrive LAX 4.30PM

VA2 DEP LAX 11.30PM Arrive SYD 9.20AM

Formal announcement is expected to be made by Richard Branson tommorow (31/3/08). I also came accross the following quote from Branson:

VIRGIN boss Richard Branson says he hopes to have his airline flying between America and Australia from next year.

The UK billionaire jetted into Australia this week to attend the V Festival, which he created.

Speaking at the Sydney leg of the festival - which will bypass Adelaide - Sir Richard said he hoped to get the flights off the ground soon.

"By next year there may even be an airline with V in it coming from America down here,'' he said.
    http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...rom=public_rss

Could this mean that Branson is considering using Virgin America between US and Aust following the Aust-Open Skies Agreement?

[KVS Availability Tool 3.0.5/Platinum - Amadeus: Timetable/DE-AONL6]
    Code:
    SYD  Sydney Kingsford Smith NS AU [YSSY]
    LAX  Los Angeles Int'l CA US [KLAX]
    FRI  12 Dec 2008 - 19 Dec 2008
    Carrier   Flight From Depart    To   Arrive    A/C  St   Frequency | Dur'n | Dep T | Arr T | Effect | Ending | Exceptions
    --------- ------ ---- --------- ---- --------- ---- ---- ---------------------------------------------------------------- 
    VA        1      SYD  21:45     LAX  16:30     77W  0    12345--     13:45       1       B   15 Dec   13 Mar   Fri 12 Dec
    [KVS Availability Tool 3.0.5/Platinum - Amadeus: Timetable/DE-AONL6]
    Code:
    LAX  Los Angeles Int'l CA US [KLAX]
    SYD  Sydney Kingsford Smith NS AU [YSSY]
    FRI  12 Dec 2008 - 19 Dec 2008
    Carrier   Flight From Depart    To   Arrive    A/C  St   Frequency | Dur'n | Dep T | Arr T | Effect | Ending | Exceptions
    --------- ------ ---- --------- ---- --------- ---- ---- ---------------------------------------------------------------- 
    VA        2      LAX  23:30     SYD  09:20 +2  77W  0    12345--     14:50       3       1   15 Dec   13 Mar   Fri 12 Dec

Comment

"Promo" fare of A$10k in J SYD-LAX... That's what the likes of QF, UA and NZ are charging.

Much cheaper to do either alliance's Circle Pacific fares - DCIR22 at A$7699, or CCPSTAR1 at A$6589.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

VA have also announced today a ticketing agreement with Northwest.

THE VIRGIN AND THE VETERAN TAKE OFF TOGETHER!
        V AUSTRALIA AND NORTHWEST AIRLINES ANNOUNCE TICKETING PARTNERSHIP
        Monday 31 March 2008: In the historic first ticketing partnership for Australia’s newest International carrier V Australia Airlines, Northwest Airlines will join forces with V Australia to offer travellers convenient access to destinations across the United States of America and Canada.

The announcement to link flight networks follows hot on the heels of the confirmation that V Australia Airlines long haul trans-Pacific services will take off with flights from Sydney to Los Angeles on 15 December 2008.

The ticketing agreement with Northwest will take effect from day one of the launch of V Australia services and will offer travellers seamless flight connections to key cities via V Australia’s launch destination of Los Angeles.
        http://www.vaustralia.com.au/about-u.../P_003797.html

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          "Promo" fare of A$10k in J SYD-LAX... That's what the likes of QF, UA and NZ are charging.

Much cheaper to do either alliance's Circle Pacific fares - DCIR22 at A$7699, or CCPSTAR1 at A$6589.
          Oops guess I posted too quickly. The actual promo J fare is now up - A$6550.

Promo for whY is A$999.

Still not impressed by the regular fares - they're not that different to what the existing players are charging.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...850811904.html

V is for victory on coveted Sydney-LA route

Mathew Murphy and Brian Robins
            April 1, 2008

VIRGIN'S new international carrier, V Australia, has fired an opening salvo at imminent rival Qantas, announcing it will offer a daily Sydney-Los Angeles service and attempt to break the airline's stranglehold on the lucrative route.

Australia's newest international airline has also snubbed Melbourne in favour of Sydney as the base for V Australia, with founder Sir Richard Branson saying it would create 1000 jobs and generate $44 million worth of investment for the harbour city.

Comment

I tried dummy booking too and the Premium Y fare "Saver" came out to $4200 - That's like a Business Z fare from HNL to SIN on ANA!!!

The premium Y(Star class) from HNL to SYD on Jetstar as a comparison is around $2000

Comment

Still not impressed by the regular fares - they're not that different to what the existing players are charging.
                What about V's product? Are there any different from what others are offering?

Comment

NW's IVR SUCKS...

So after four transfers to the appropriate person because NW has one of the WORST systems, I found out that redemption will not be available on VA until, "...sometime this summer. You should call back daily to see when that exactly is since we don't know." In addition, they have no idea as to what the mileage costs would be.

Typical of NW!

When am I ever going to be able to use these useless miles!
                  HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by quik! View Post
                    What about V's product? Are there any different from what others are offering?
                    http://www.vaustralia.com.au/

They're offering J, Y+ and Y.

In J there's a fully flat bed ala NZ and VS, vs the sloped beds on QF J (though the flat ones will come when the A380 debuts on MEL-LAX in October). UA has both fully flat beds and cradle seats - not sure what their rate of refurbishment is or the stats on this route for either configuration.

Other than that the website is vague.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                      So after four transfers to the appropriate person because NW has one of the WORST systems, I found out that redemption will not be available on VA until, "...sometime this summer. You should call back daily to see when that exactly is since we don't know." In addition, they have no idea as to what the mileage costs would be.

Typical of NW!

When am I ever going to be able to use these useless miles!
                      You could spend them on a KL flight, using those magnificent MD11s they have
                      Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

As reported on another site, SIA will be doing the maintenance for VA in SYD, BNE and LAX. Could BNE/LAX be the next route to be announced?

BRISBANE, April 21: Virgin Blue and SIA Engineering Company Ltd have announced an agreement under which the new Boeing 777-300ER fleet flying trans-Pacific will be maintained by SIA Engineering Co, a subsidiary of Singapore Airlines.

Under the long-term Fleet Management Program contract, estimated to be worth US$67 million, SIAEC will provide V Australia with a wide range of FMP services, including transit and light maintenance checks, defect rectification, cabin maintenance, spares support, component repair and overhaul, and logistics management in Brisbane, Sydney and Los Angeles.

SIAEC currently has contractual agreements with six non-Singapore Airlines operators to provide FMP services on Airbus A320 and Boeing B747-400 aircraft types covering up to 109 aircraft, including 55 that are currently in service. The contract with V Australia is SIAEC’s first foray into the B777 FMP market.

V Australia, a subsidiary of Virgin Blue and part of the global Virgin network, plans to commence operations between Sydney and Los Angeles from December (subject to regulatory approval). It has seven B777-300ERs on order and options for a further six.

Brett Godfrey, CEO of Virgin Blue Airlines Group, said he was pleased to have engaged SIA Engineering Company.

"V Australia will deliver high standards of safety, maintenance, cabin presentation and on-time departure and we are confident that SIA Engineering Company will assist us in ensuring those requirements are met."

SIAEC CEO William Tan, said the experience his company had gained servicing Singapore Airlines’ fleet of B777, the world’s largest, its positioned the company well to take on the V Australia contract.
                        http://www.aviationrecord.com/search...&articleId=376

Comment

http://www.vaustralia.com.au/

They're offering J, Y+ and Y.

In J there's a fully flat bed ala NZ and VS, vs the sloped beds on QF J (though the flat ones will come when the A380 debuts on MEL-LAX in October). UA has both fully flat beds and cradle seats - not sure what their rate of refurbishment is or the stats on this route for either configuration.

Other than that the website is vague.
                          Website is pretty skimpy on details since they're still sorting stuff out. They said to stay tuned for more info. Maybe later in the year details will be unveiled but I'll try & fill in the gaps.

International Business
                          77" seat
                          Covertible 6ft 2" Horizontal bed
                          12.1" IFE screen with Panasonic eX2 system (used on SQ New Krisworld & EK ICE-Widescreen)
                          Mood lighting
                          Laptop & USB connections
                          Priority check-in & boarding
                          A la carte menu - "eat what you want, when you want"

International Premium Economy
                          38" seat pitch with 9" recline
                          20" seat width
                          10.6" IFE screen with Panasonic eX2 system
                          All inclusive meal & bar service including after dinner liqueurs

International Economy
                          32" seat pitch with 6" recline
                          18.8" seat width
                          9" IFE screen with Panasonic eX2 system
                          All inclusive meal & bar servicec
                          3x3x3 config

So to fill in the gaps...
                          Looking at those dimensions, it is quite possible that International Business & International Premium Economy will resemble grandparent airline Virgin Atlantic's Upper Class Suite & New Premium Economy. 1x2x1 config in J & 2x4x2 config to be expected then in

Comment

VA / NW Code Sharing Status

About a month ago, a NW agent told me that we would be able to redeem our [worthless] miles on VA flights. I know the DOT is still approving the code sharing, but does anyone have any status on this? Did the NW/DL merger screw this whole thing up?

On VA's website, NW is NOT listed as an airline partner.

Thanks.
                            HUGE AL

Comment

Would you guys fly V Australia or Singapore Airlines to , for example, Sydney.
                              V Australia -> nonstop
                              Singapore -> Lots of stops

Comment

Working...
                              X