SQ 21/22 vs SQ 25/26 Singapore New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ 21/22 vs SQ 25/26 Singapore New York

Which is better option on SQ's premium economy (PY) to fly direct SQ 21/22 or do transit break on SQ 25/26?

Are the PY seats/service different between SQ 21/22 and SQ 25/26?

Also, wondering if it's worth paying additional US$110 for front row extra leg room seats in PY?

Thank you (!)

There's not much difference in PEY seats as both front row seats are basically bulkhead seats. Do believe the PEY seats on the A380 are just a bit marginally wider than the A350. The only good PEY front seats are in the new A380 ver 3 aircrafts which are the first row of the aircraft near the nose and the window and window aisle seats have no
    bulkhead wall infront and totally obstructed legroom but sadly the NY A380 is not using this ver 3 A380 yet.
    Last edited by flyguy; 8 December 2019, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Unless you are exceptionally tall, I would strongly advise against paying for the bulkhead seats. You've already paid for extra legroom by travelling in PEY.

My experiences in PEY have all been bulkhead as they were last minute upgrades from Y. There is more legroom than can possibly be useful, but no underseat storage possible, no coathook, and the "seat pockets" are on the bulkhead wall, unable to be reached without getting out of your seat. Likewise, you will not be able to use the touchscreen IFE without leaning out of your seat as the screen is not in an armrest flip-out arrangement, but is located as well on the bulkhead wall, meaning the effect of having a bigger screen is also completely lost as it is so much further away from you.

If you're 2 metres tall, these seats might be heaven, but otherwise the really popular seats on all planes and all flights in PEY seem to be AC and HK seats from Row 32 onward.

Comment

Originally posted by zonnieboy View Post
        Which is better option on SQ's premium economy (PY) to fly direct SQ 21/22 or do transit break on SQ 25/26?

Are the PY seats/service different between SQ 21/22 and SQ 25/26?

Also, wondering if it's worth paying additional US$110 for front row extra leg room seats in PY?

Thank you (!)
        Hello zonnieboy! In terms of seats, there is a difference between the PEY seats on SQ's A350 (SQ21/22) and the PEY seats on SQ's A380 (SQ25/26).

The PEY seat frame on the A380 (and 77WR) is slightly larger than PEY on SQ's A350 which uses a different seat frame.

The difference is quite noticeable. SQ has a 2-4-2 layout in PEY their A350, A380 and 77WR. The A380 (and 77WR) both have wider cabins than the A350, which means that 8-abreast PEY on the A350 will be noticeably narrower than on the A380 and 77WR, and that is what I have observed on my flights on all these types.

For a few comparison pics, please refer to this post.

As for whether 1-stop SIN-FRA-JFK or nonstop SIN-EWR is preferred, I would personally prefer the nonstop just for the convenience of not having to get off the plane part way there. On the other hand, a one-stop is no issue either if the schedule works better.

Comment

One important point; to me at least; is that JFK can be a zoo at peak hour.
          SQ26 can sometimes be a breeze when arriving but no such joy when SQ25 leaves. Also, the difference between a boarding 161-seater plane and a 441-seater plane is HUGE!

Comment

Thank you for all the comments/suggestions.

Have taken Y, J and F Suites to NYC yet to try SQ's PY. Am inclined to do SQ 22 A350 to NYC, and SQ 25 A380 out of NYC (best of both).... or should I do other way round (A380 followed by A350)?

Also, which are the best PY seats on A380 and A350 (other than back three single rows)?

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by zonnieboy View Post
              Am inclined to do SQ 22 A350 to NYC, and SQ 25 A380 out of NYC (best of both).... or should I do other way round (A380 followed by A350)?
              I would recommend SQ22 A350 to EWR followed by SQ25 A380 from JFK, for the following reasons:
              1. On SQ26 you have to clear security again in FRA due to the flight being US-bound, which cuts into your layover. The security screening can be anywhere from 10-20 minutes. On SQ25 onward to Singapore you disembark directly into the secure area without the need for secondary security screening. Disclaimer: I last took the A380 JFK flights in early 2017 so I'm not sure if there might have been any changes since then.
              2. The A350 PY seat is narrower than the A380 one, so you'd go with the narrower seat first then experience the wider one of the A380. I think the difference would be more stark if you experience the wider PY seat first followed by the narrower seat.
              3. I personally prefer the SQ25 arrival time into Singapore as I have a full day ahead, compared to SQ21 which is in the evening. It's a matter of perception but I like arriving into a city in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
                On SQ26 you have to clear security again in FRA due to the flight being US-bound, which cuts into your layover. The security screening can be anywhere from 10-20 minutes. On SQ25 onward to Singapore you disembark directly into the secure area without the need for secondary security screening. Disclaimer: I last took the A380 JFK flights in early 2017 so I'm not sure if there might have been any changes since then.
                This is no longer necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by WBT View Post
                  This is no longer necessary.
                  Yes that’s correct I can confirm after past 3 flights in a year. Just make sure you take the ramp down and not up.

By the way ULR PEY have single seats at the end for window seats right ? with a dedicated table. That should be better to me than the a380s in my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by alian View Post
                    By the way ULR PEY have single seats at the end for window seats right ? with a dedicated table. That should be better to me than the a380s in my opinion
                    Yes there are six single seats (3 rows of 2 each side). However, you have to be a PPS member to pre-select them. If you’re not PPS, you have to wait until 4 days before departure (or 48hrs, one of the two).

Comment

I just took SQ 22 into EWR on 1 Dec and SQ 25 on 13 Dec from JFK on PEY. Arriving into EWR and clearing immigration can be a breeze provided the flight lands ahead of the EL AL flight. Having said that, there are only 4 to 5 immigrant offices on duty in the early hours. If SQ 22 lands after the EL AL flight, you can stand in the queue for an hour.
                      The nightmare happens when I took SQ 25 from JFK. I nearly missed the flight due to my under estimation of the time required from Hilton Times Square to JFK during the evening peaks hours. My driver was late for an hour and eventually I have to rush taking the subway to JFK where I was the last passenger to check in for the flight 1 hour prior to departure before the check-in counter was closed. The agent told me I was braved enough to catch the subway during the evening peak hours with all my luggage.
                      For the PEY seat, I feel that the A380 seats is more comfortable as it is larger and the noise in that section of the aircraft is very quiet. However the A350 seat is smaller and the cabin is behind of the engine which noise level is very high through the flight. This is my 2 cents worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Tweeshin View Post
                        The nightmare happens when I took SQ 25 from JFK. I nearly missed the flight due to my under estimation of the time required from Hilton Times Square to JFK during the evening peaks hours. My driver was late for an hour and eventually I have to rush taking the subway to JFK where I was the last passenger to check in for the flight 1 hour prior to departure before the check-in counter was closed. The agent told me I was braved enough to catch the subway during the evening peak hours with all my luggage.
                        A more reliable option from midtown is to take the Long Island Railroad train from Penn Station to Jamaica and make the very easy transfer (same platform) onto the Airtrain. Traffic to the airports in evening rush hours in NY is unpredictable. For that reason, I usually stay at a hotel within walking distance to Penn Station, where I can take NJT to EWR and LIRR to JFK.

Comment

Originally posted by 259850 View Post
                          For that reason, I usually stay at a hotel within walking distance to Penn Station, where I can take NJT to EWR and LIRR to JFK.
                          My exact same approach!

Comment

Working...
                          X