Collecting SQ miles with KF or Alaska Airlines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collecting SQ miles with KF or Alaska Airlines

I will have quite a few SQ flights in Business Class over the next 12 months, mostly longhaul and wonder if it would be better to put my miles into my Alaska Airlines account or rather into KF and eventually get status with SQ?

I already have lifetime star gold due to my AC Million Miler status but wonder if it's worth having Gold or even PPS (which I had many years ago) with SQ?

With KF I would get 125% of miles flown on my business class flights (after reaching silver & gold an additional 25%), with Alaska 200% and there are some great redemption options, espcially with JAL and some other airlines.

Just wondering if anyone has made a similar decision and foregone any status with SQ over having more miles with AS.

Thank you in advance.

Yes. I'm one of those. For FFP, I care most about redemption.

I credit to AS for J flights on SQ, because of the generous bonuses. For AS, if you get MVP75, you can earn an additional 125% on top of the 200%. Even at MVP, 25K elite miles, you get 50% extra.

Besides, in J, most of the star gold benefits are part of the ticket anyway. Also, I frequent CX and SQ, so AS makes a lot of sense for me. PPS is never my consideration as I need to do 100% on SQ to make PPS.

The only downside is availability can be hard to find for redemption, unless booking really close in or extremely early. Also, AS does not allow redemption on SQ. So I send the CC points to KF to access SQ awards.

Comment

Originally posted by dfs24 View Post
      Yes. I'm one of those. For FFP, I care most about redemption.

I credit to AS for J flights on SQ, because of the generous bonuses. For AS, if you get MVP75, you can earn an additional 125% on top of the 200%. Even at MVP, 25K elite miles, you get 50% extra.

Besides, in J, most of the star gold benefits are part of the ticket anyway. Also, I frequent CX and SQ, so AS makes a lot of sense for me. PPS is never my consideration as I need to do 100% on SQ to make PPS.

The only downside is availability can be hard to find for redemption, unless booking really close in or extremely early. Also, AS does not allow redemption on SQ. So I send the CC points to KF to access SQ awards.
      dfs24, thank you very much your explanation, which is really helpful.
      I just had a look at the Alaska Airlines program and just now realized that even flying with SQ and JL, miles count towards Elite status, something I never even considered or thought of but it makes it even more attractive.

I don't think I would be able to make MVP 75 which requires 90,000 miles since I never fly AS, or at least I haven't in a while and don't plan to , but Gold could be very easy to reach and there is still a nice bonus with MVP 50.

Looks like I'll be putting all my SQ miles into the Alaska Airlines program from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ350 View Post
        I will have quite a few SQ flights in Business Class over the next 12 months, mostly longhaul and wonder if it would be better to put my miles into my Alaska Airlines account or rather into KF and eventually get status with SQ?

I already have lifetime star gold due to my AC Million Miler status but wonder if it's worth having Gold or even PPS (which I had many years ago) with SQ?

With KF I would get 125% of miles flown on my business class flights (after reaching silver & gold an additional 25%), with Alaska 200% and there are some great redemption options, espcially with JAL and some other airlines.

Just wondering if anyone has made a similar decision and foregone any status with SQ over having more miles with AS.

Thank you in advance.
        If you wish you can accrue miles to AS and PPS status with SQ at the same time. It’s called double dipping. You can Google and find out how it’s done. Since you have quite a few Long haul J flights over next 12 months, you should easily make QPPS. Have fun flying!

Comment

Originally posted by worldrally View Post
          If you wish you can accrue miles to AS and PPS status with SQ at the same time. It’s called double dipping. You can Google and find out how it’s done. Since you have quite a few Long haul J flights over next 12 months, you should easily make QPPS. Have fun flying!
          Thank you worldrally, great advise. I googled it and found out how to do it.
          I have now added the AS number to my profile as well so that I can double dip.
          Thanks again - really appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
          X