Ho Chi Minh City Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ho Chi Minh City Suggestions?

Hello everyone! Am headed to HCMC for a short vacation later this year. Anyone have activity or dining suggestions?

I've visited Hanoi several times, but this will be my first time in HCMC.

Would especially appreciate any local dining suggestions, and running routes...

The problem with Saigon is the bloody place changes every time you visit its developing that quickly. I was there for a week last month and places from 9 months earlier had gone. I presume you are looking for Vietnamese food recommendations ?.

Running routes would be an interesting one...crossing the road can be an adventure in itself!.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
      I presume you are looking for Vietnamese food recommendations ?
      Your seafood restaurant expertise is what would be most appreciated.
      HUGE AL

Comment

The problem with Saigon is the bloody place changes every time you visit its developing that quickly. I was there for a week last month and places from 9 months earlier had gone. I presume you are looking for Vietnamese food recommendations ?.

Running routes would be an interesting one...crossing the road can be an adventure in itself!.
        Local Vietnamese food recommendations would be great! That said if there are places worth a visit, which serve other cuisines,I would love to hear about them too!

I have never figured out how to properly cross the road in Vietnam, or in many other Asian countries, for that matter...I have heard that the method is to walk across at a steady pace and rely on the cars and motorcycles to see and avoid you. But that's not a theory I want to test myself!

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
          I have never figured out how to properly cross the road in Vietnam, or in many other Asian countries, for that matter...I have heard that the method is to walk across at a steady pace and rely on the cars and motorcycles to see and avoid you. But that's not a theory I want to test myself!
          This is actually good advice. The motorists in these countries know that pedestrians just cross when they like, so when you cross at a steady pace, they know how to move around you. Things only get complicated when you suddenly stop and they cannot read your mind and turn their vehicle into you. When I cross in HCM, I just look for an opening, and just calmly walk across. The bikes will just go around me, leaving me to cross the road safely.

Comment

Originally posted by PPSFlyer View Post
            This is actually good advice. The motorists in these countries know that pedestrians just cross when they like, so when you cross at a steady pace, they know how to move around you. Things only get complicated when you suddenly stop and they cannot read your mind and turn their vehicle into you. When I cross in HCM, I just look for an opening, and just calmly walk across. The bikes will just go around me, leaving me to cross the road safely.
            Thanks for the tip, PPSFlyer! Not sure if I dare to do that, though.

There was one time I was in Hyderabad, India, when I made the mistake of alighting from my car on the opposite side of the street from my hotel.

Stood there by the roadside for a good 10 minutes waiting for a lull in traffic to cross. Of course the lull never came, and I never managed to set foot on the street to cross.

And all around me the locals were crossing the street constantly like it was the most normal thing in the world to do. I only managed to get across because there was a VIP leaving a compound close by, and the police stopped all traffic to let his car exit the compound, and I seized the opportunity to cross...

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
              Your seafood restaurant expertise is what would be most appreciated.

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
              Local Vietnamese food recommendations would be great! That said if there are places worth a visit, which serve other cuisines,I would love to hear about them too!
              When are you going and where are you planning on staying ?

You literally do just have to walk out and let them go around you, while obviously keeping an eye out for those who are ****ing around on their phones and not looking where they are going. As a rule they will just go around you. It has to be said it was a lot easier and more relaxing years ago when everyone in Vietnam just had a motorbike or bicycle!,

Comment

When are you going and where are you planning on staying ?
                I'm at the Fusion Suites Saigon in District 1, at the end of June. Looks to be fairly central, and a 15 min walk from Ben Thanh market...

It's a family vacation, so I am going in completely blind, and leaving it to Mrs yflyer to plan the itinerary. My only input was to get everyone booked on SQ's 787-10 flights to SGN. I just hope they don't do an equipment sub on me like a recent MNL trip...

Comment

Originally posted by PPSFlyer View Post
                  You literally do just have to walk out and let them go around you, while obviously keeping an eye out for those who are ****ing around on their phones and not looking where they are going. As a rule they will just go around you. It has to be said it was a lot easier and more relaxing years ago when everyone in Vietnam just had a motorbike or bicycle!,
                  Just back from Saigon...yes there is no other way to cross the street since the green/red traffic signals there are literally treated as guidelines...

I never figured out how to cross the street other than at crossings, however even at pedestrian crossings with a green walking man, I had to walk across at a steady pace while cars and motorcycles streamed around me, trusting that they would avoid me...

Apart from that Saigon was an eye-opening place to visit...great food/dining culture and nice bars...intermingled with all of that were reminders of past wars and conflict, although everything is on peaceful "fast forward" now, with very energetic and impressive young people. Hopefully I'll be able to get round to a TR at some point...

Comment

Working...
                  X