Things to do in Athens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My experiences last mth:
    Taxi from the airport to hotel (in Vouliagmeni area) -- EUR 20 (meter was abt EUR 12-13, but, they say it's a flat rate..hmm).
    Ditto for the return trip -- got a very good taxi driver who speak the best English in my trip to Athens.

Taxi from hotel to Acropolis -- EUR 11-12.

I was however charged an exorbitant amount of EUR 8 (meter rate was around EUR 3.50) for a late night 5-min ride from my friend's hotel to my hotel. Could not complain much because taxi driver couldn't understand English.

Comment

Thanks Everyone who posted on this thread for their comments. Have had a good trip to Athens and enjoyed the food. Most of the time, I simply take a leisurely walk to Platka to have dinner in one of the restaurants there.

Comment

Any recommendations for bars/clubs/restaurants in Vouliagmeni (where I'll be staying for the next 3 weeks; working in Piraeus) or nearby Glyfada ?

It's been 13+ years since I last lived in Athens and apart from 1 night (a BA board Do a few years ago), I haven't been back since. I'm looking forward to it.

Comment

I presume you are staying in the Starwood properties in Vouliagmeni. Are you switching between the two or have you settled on one ?.

We enjoyed the Japanese retaurant in the Arion, I forget it's name now. Great views/setting across the bay from the hotel on the water. The town/village of Vouliagmeni is about 10-15 mins walk down the hill and has some nice restaurants, although I can't name any specifically. Glyfada is about 10-15 mins in a taxi and again there are a number of restaurants you can take your pick from. Glyfada is much livelier than Vouliameni and does get quite busy late on.

While I don't blame you for not wanting to spend 3 weeks in a Hotel in Piraeus (I did 3 days there last month) it's a fair trek from Vouliagmeni to there. Are you going to drive (I wouldn't in Athens, and especially Piraeus!), use taxis or tram/metro ?.

Comment

Any suggestions on how to get to Marathon? I would prefer not to rent a car.

Comment

You can catch the local athens buses or the coastal tram . I would do it one of those 2 ways.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                I presume you are staying in the Starwood properties in Vouliagmeni. Are you switching between the two or have you settled on one ?.

We enjoyed the Japanese retaurant in the Arion, I forget it's name now. Great views/setting across the bay from the hotel on the water. The town/village of Vouliagmeni is about 10-15 mins walk down the hill and has some nice restaurants, although I can't name any specifically. Glyfada is about 10-15 mins in a taxi and again there are a number of restaurants you can take your pick from. Glyfada is much livelier than Vouliameni and does get quite busy late on.

While I don't blame you for not wanting to spend 3 weeks in a Hotel in Piraeus (I did 3 days there last month) it's a fair trek from Vouliagmeni to there. Are you going to drive (I wouldn't in Athens, and especially Piraeus!), use taxis or tram/metro ?.
                No, I'm staying for the 3 weeks in a hotel called the Margi which is far cheaper (EUR 170/night) than the two SPG properties (both over EUR 300). It's a bit isolated and (too) quiet in what appears to be mostly a residential area. I'm using taxis to get to/from Piraeus (about 40 minutes this morning).

I think the restaurant you're referring to is the Matsuhisa/Nobu restaurant ? I'll give it a go one evening but neither it nor the restaurants I saw yesterday in the hotel's locality (seafood, Italian etc) are the sort of places to eat frequently. I'm after a good basic taverna/souvlaki/etc - perhaps I should eat in Piraeus, Glyfada etc before going back to the hotel.

I have a cracking view from my office window here - there's a large ship (the Norwegian Gem) "parked" across the road at the cruise ship terminal!

Comment

Well price wise now is probably the worst month to want to stay at the Vouliagmeni Starwood properties for obvious reasons. They are available at much better rates away from peak season.

I don't know the Margi (looks a nice place) and the location map on the website is not great so I am not sure exactly where it is. How far are you from the Starwood properties and also the start of the tram line that takes you down past Glyfada and the old airport ?.

Matsuhisa is indeed the Japanese we went to. It is pricey (so forget eating there every night!) but it was very good. There are a few taverna's around Vouligameni and also one I have eaten at a few times on the left at the bottom of the hill as you leave the Starwoods, opposite a beach near the Yacht Club/Marina. I've eaten there a few times, first time about 10 years ago and most recent last summer.

For the best choice of tavernas for souvlaki etc you need to go up to Plaka and Monastiraki near the Acropolis, where there are loads. But it's quite a trek from Vouliagmeni. We went there every night in June when we were staying at the Hilton.

There are some good places around Piraues away from Akti Miaouli and the port area. I went to a very nice Restaurant in Kastella last month near the Marina there. Can't remember the name but it was opposite the Mistral Hotel, which I know from staying there about 15 years ago.
                  Last edited by MAN Flyer; 11 August 2010, 04:11 PM.

Comment

The Starwood properties are on a little peninsula - the road from there to Vouliagmeni is Apollonos Street. The Margi is just off Apollonos but about 1km along that road from the Starwood properties, i.e. you have to pass near the Margi to get to Vouliagmeni.

I don't know yet where the tram line is. If I'm stuck in Athens this weekend (given that I'm told the ferries may be packed/full due to 15 August on Sunday), I will go and explore.

A client who I had lunch with yesterday recommended Zahos (?) in Vouliagmeni for souvlaki. I just Googled and it seems to be this one mentioned here:

http://travelguideadvice.com/afforda...ens-62857.html

We had lunch at Vori on Akti Miaouli which was very pleasant. I understand it's run by the sister (?) of one of the major Greek shipowners so apparently lots of shipping people eat there.

Thanks for the recommendation of the place opposite the Mistral hotel. I will walk over there one evening and give it a try. That area is indeed nicer than Akti Miaouli - in 1997, I lived for 3 months in a flat just up the road from the Zea Marina and spent many happy evenings wandering around, e.g. watching Greek subtitled English language films like the English Patient. (Apart from that, renting videos from a shop or seeing if any of the other Piraeus based trainees from other firms were free, there was nothing else to do every evening! No widely available Internet access back then.)

Comment

All right, let's see what we can recommend for you people here.

To go to Marathon: you need preferably use your own transportation, i.e. a car. I do not believe the traffic (or better to say the style of driving) is that bad, but understand that for anyone coming from a country where the laws are very strict and the police is always out on the prow essentially terrorizing people, trying to drive in Greece is a bit of a change in the beginning. Traffic is fast flowing, which is a wonderful thing, and as long as your brain is sharp and you anticipate any future movements in advance, you should be ok. Priority to pedestrians at every single pedestrian crossing obviously (and rightfully) does not really work, so beware. Flexibility is the key. This is not central or north Europe where the car is just a means to go from A to B and the driver becomes more or less a robot following the 'rules' blindly, being mercilessly penalized for doing what he simply has the right to while commuting. Thank God, Greece is still not a country where the 'big brother' controls and overlooks everything.

Schinias beach, very close to Marathon.

I do not like taxi drivers, especially in Athens, they are very impolite and they may as well cheat you. Phaleesy is very right on this. Unless you can find a trusted taxi driver who can take you there, don't choose that option. I have never taken the bus to Marathon, but this may probably be the most sensible option if you do not want to drive your own car.

The area near Marathon is very nice, you can go for swimming in the nearby Schinias long beach, then visit some nice little tavernas for dinner and enjoy grilled fish with fresh Greek salad. Preferably someone local should take you there. If I was there, I would but sadly I am grounded in the 'civilized' and highly freedom-restricting north Europe.

One thing you can do is to drive to Marathon via Marathon Road, then return to Athens via the northern suburbs. To do this, from Marathon village you take the road to 'Agios Stefanos' and this will take you through Marathon Lake, then to Athens' north suburbs.

Vouliagmeni: There is Ithaca, a very nice though expensive restaurant. It is on the hill by the Astir Palace beach, straight after the tavernas ManFlyer described (if I am not mistaken), i.e. at the start of that little Vouliagmeni peninsula.

The Vouliagmeni peninsula shown in far center, middle of the picture. One of the most expensive land areas in Europe per sq. ft.

For other dining places in Glyfada or Vouliagmeni, I'd have to ask my friends who (some of them) leave in that particular area. In the center of Glyfada you should visit a street famous for it's "bifteki" (meat balls). All tavernas there in that street offer the same kind of food variety, grilled meatballs is the specialty with assorted lemon and olive oil, steamed/boiled vegetables, fresh Greek salad and of course French fries.

A very nice restaurant for a night out, slightly cheaper that Ithaca, is "Akti" (means 'the coast'). It is in Vouliagmeni, very close to the marine club that ManFlyer described. I've been there with LionCity as well, during one of his numerous visits in Athens. A very nice and busy place, highly recommended. Fresh fish dishes are its specialty.

Bars/clubs/etc. I can recommend but their names change every couple of years or so, at least for most of them. You should try "Tango", a very old but true classic along the coast - beware it may have a new name now. I can find out if you like, we know the owner well. There you should go after 11:30pm preferably, and it is not a club, but really an open-air bar.

As I said earlier, I am not there and have lost touch with many places, etc. but can easily find out by asking local friends.

In Piraeus try also (for lunch or for a drink after work) a place called 'Story', it's near the St. Nicholas church, near the corner of Filonos & Filellinon. In the corner of Filellinon and Akti Miaouli the old RBS offices were located, this may bring back memories to you. I believe your office may be close, right?
                      Last edited by N_Architect; 13 August 2010, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Thanks N Architect!!!

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations, N_Architect! It would be good if you can find out about this "Tango". One of the joys I find about Greece is eating out very late at night - good food, surrounded by a happy crowd; and a cool night breeze.

Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
                          I do not like taxi drivers, especially in Athens ... they may as well cheat you.
                          Indeed! I've taken a taxi each morning four times so far. Everything is the same - journey, traffic conditions, time of day and type of taxi - but the fare fluctuates wildly between EUR 24 and EUR 33! Sometimes they can give me a handwritten receipt for that amount and other times, I get a computerised receipt for a much lower amount but there are apparently charges for being called out to the hotel (I agree) and the proximity of the 15 August holiday!

Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
                          In Piraeus try also (for lunch or for a drink after work) a place called 'Story', it's near the St. Nicholas church, near the corner of Filonos & Filellinon. In the corner of Filellinon and Akti Miaouli the old RBS offices were located, this may bring back memories to you. I believe your office may be close, right?
                          When I was here in 1997, our office used to be on Defteras Merarchias just around the corner. Actually, one of my tasks back then was to occasionally pop along to RBS wearing a suit, shirt and tie (in the summer heat - madness!) with a case full of documents for signing. I remember walking along the same street on the morning Peraticos was gunned down there later that day in broad daylight. Now, we're further along on Akti Miaouli but the more boring end (where the cruise ships dock).

I've been looking at options for this weekend (Saturday/Sunday only). Given the holiday, it's really very late to book now and whilst I can book a ferry/dolphin, there seems to be no free accommodation I can find on the Internet in Hydra, Poros or Spetses. Ermioni may be possible but it's a bit far for two days. So a colleague suggested just turning up in Hydra on Saturday and seeing once I arrive if I can find somewhere to stay (if not, I'll have a nice lunch, wander around, have a swim (my colleague suggested - maybe!) and come back the same day).

Comment

As the thread had long since departed from it's original topic of flying SQ there, I've moved the posts to their own thread.

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                            One of the joys I find about Greece is eating out very late at night - good food, surrounded by a happy crowd; and a cool night breeze.
                            Absolutely, it's fabulous for that. Although unlike us it's got the climate...

Indeed! I've taken a taxi each morning four times so far. Everything is the same - journey, traffic conditions, time of day and type of taxi - but the fare fluctuates wildly between EUR 24 and EUR 33!
                            In June I was staying in the Hilton and went from there to the old airport in Glyfada each day to an exhibition. (It was quite bemusing driving down the taxiway and being dropped off near a 747 classic, a 727 and a 737 all with no engines. ). In 3 days I paid 45, 24 and 31 Euros from the Hilton and 10 (yes 10 !!!), 35 and 44 Euros back !!!. I went from the exhibition to Piraeus and back in the same day and got charged 38 euros there and 22 back. I've long since given up on Athens/Piraeus taxi drivers......

I've been looking at options for this weekend (Saturday/Sunday only). Given the holiday, it's really very late to book now and whilst I can book a ferry/dolphin, there seems to be no free accommodation I can find on the Internet in Hydra, Poros or Spetses. Ermioni may be possible but it's a bit far for two days. So a colleague suggested just turning up in Hydra on Saturday and seeing once I arrive if I can find somewhere to stay (if not, I'll have a nice lunch, wander around, have a swim (my colleague suggested - maybe!) and come back the same day).
                            I would also rather head to an island, but if you fancy a 3 hour drive or a quick 30 minute flight on Aegean there are a couple of new Starwood properties just opened opened in Costa Navarino. You could do a TR on them (to help me decide if I'm going or not )

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...ropertyID=3289

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...ropertyID=3290
                            Last edited by MAN Flyer; 13 August 2010, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                              I would also rather head to an island, but if you fancy a 3 hour drive or a quick 30 minute flight on Aegean there are a couple of new Starwood properties just opened opened in Costa Navarino.
                              With scorching rates of EUR 530 and EUR 410 for this Saturday, I don't think so!

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                                With scorching rates of EUR 530 and EUR 410 for this Saturday, I don't think so!
                                Oh yes, forgot it's August!. They are clearly not bothering with an 'opening offers' then!. No free weekend certs ?.

Comment

Working...
                                X