Volcanic Ash in Europe causing havoc with air travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
    Must be a relief now that you are back home... So when you headed to your new job location?
    1st May I head to Bangkok and then depending on whether my visa comes through should head on to Myanmar the following week

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
      1st May I head to Bangkok and then depending on whether my visa comes through should head on to Myanmar the following week
      Guess it's a hassel trying toget the visas done... Best of luck anyways!
      God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

LH have just phoned to say they have found my luggage which is a big relief.

Comment

Not again....

Ireland has just anounced it is closing it's airspace/airports from 0600 - 1200 on Tuesday beacuse of volcanic ash....

Comment

Yep, northern parts of Scotland as well, however they are saying its a lot smaller and shouldn't effect any other flights at present. Fingers crossed as flying to UK tonight!

Comment

List of airport closures in BST from CAA

Glasgow 0700-1900
              Prestwick 0700-1900
              Inverness 0700-1300
              Stornoway 0700-1900
              Benbecula 0700-1900
              Tiree 0700-1900
              Islay 0700-1900
              Barra 0700-1900
              Campbeltown 0700-1900
              Derry 0700-1900
              Belfast International 1300-1900
              Belfast City 1300-1900
              Dublin 1100 onwards
              Edinburgh 1300-1800

Comment

Volcanic ash cloud is back in UK. No fly zone over parts of the UK has extended south to include Birmingham and Norwich airports. Manchester, Leeds-Bradford, Liverpool, Doncaster, Humberside, East Midlands are already in the no fly zone. London airports could also be affected Monday with restrictions potentially until Tuesday morning.

Comment

I know the direct answer to my question below is "The ash cloud is dependent upon weather conditions, UK airspace could be closed or it could be open when you intend to travel, so if your trip is vital then take whatever steps you feel are necessary to travel by other means as appropriate", but I'd appreciate any opinions that would help crystallise my thoughts:

mrs nickbot and I will be flying BHX-ZRH and then ZRH-JFK towards the end of next month (2 seperate bookings, consecutive days) and I'm growing a little concerned over the potential for UK airport closures due to the ash situation. Whilst this can/has affected ZRH, it seems the UK is copping it more frequently at the moment.

As a consequence, I'm toying with booking a 1 way train fare from Nottingham to Zurich,...1 way, non refundable fare is working out to a total of £314 for 2 pax (Nottingham to London in F, London to Paris in Y, Paris to Zurich in J). This will require a stopover in Paris from midnight to circa 06:30. As an aside, Y fares all the way would be only ~£14 cheaper in total for 2 pax, so I'm not simply opting for F/J in the face of significantly cheaper alternatives.

Just mulling things over, £314 is considerably more expensive than my Swiss flight BHX-ZRH (BD redemption in J), which I can at least cancel I suppose - does anyone have any thoughts?

Comment

Your risk aversion is showing, nickbot.

Although I think it's a good idea to scope out a Plan B, I also think it's much too far out (the trip is for end of June, is that right?) actually to activate the Plan B. I think there's just too much uncertainty at the moment -- just last week, MUC was shut down overnight, but there wasn't any kind of disruption in the UK. The Plan B is pretty pricey as well (then again, that's the perspective of someone who can't conceive of planning a shopping trip, particularly to an economy against whose currency the £ has depreciated ).
                    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Thank you jjpb3 - risk averse,...moi?

You're correct, the trip is at the end of June, but my reasoning for scoping out the Plan B. this early on is that *if* UK airspace is closed when we're due to fly, I'm thinking that Eurostar availability will be tight (and price elevated so close to the date?)

Fair point re. MUC being closed when UK airports were open, perhaps the best course of action is just to wait and see. It's a shame that cheaper fully refundable tickets aren't available on Eurostar, or else that would be a no brainer I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
                        Thank you jjpb3 - risk averse,...moi?
                        Yes, nickbot!

I've got flights booked for end May and mid June from LHR and I have not given any thought to the ash situation. If I was stuck somewhere in Europe, I'd train/drive/ferry whatever back. I like to think I'm risk neutral.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                          Yes, nickbot!

I've got flights booked for end May and mid June from LHR and I have not given any thought to the ash situation. If I was stuck somewhere in Europe, I'd train/drive/ferry whatever back. I like to think I'm risk neutral.
                          I don't mind being stuck overseas,...it's not being able to depart that I'm worried about

Comment

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
                            I don't mind being stuck overseas,...it's not being able to depart that I'm worried about
                            Yes, I am aware of that.

I was just trying (unsuccessfully!) to give an example of my own situation. Unlike you, I'd be more worried about not getting back into the UK for work. So if I was risk averse, I'd be booking train tickets back home for those weekends!

Comment

I very much understand your point phaleesy - in a way I'm also worried about getting back for work, but I'm more worried about messing up my finely crafted redemption

Comment

Working...
                              X