Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not getting any better

I'm due in Bangkok at the weekend.....

Troops have been deployed on the streets of the Thai capital Bangkok after police failed to disperse anti-government protesters.

The protesters, who are assembled outside the parliament building, are trying to stop lawmakers from leaving.

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat managed to escape the building by climbing over a fence and being evacuated by helicopter.

Earlier, a woman died when a suspected car bomb exploded near the parliament.

One witness said that shots had been fired at the police by protesters, who are from the staunchly royalist People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD).

The BBC's Jonathan Head, in Bangkok, says the appearance of troops outside parliament is a clear sign that the government is struggling to maintain its authority.

Police earlier fired volleys of teargas for a second time to try to disperse the protesters, but without success.

Mr Somchai had been holding talks with military commanders on how to end the stand-off, before he was forced to flee the parliament building.

The protesters accuse him and his recently ousted predecessor, Samak Sundaravej, of just being proxies for former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The PAD wants to replace the one-man, one-vote system with one in which some representatives are chosen by professions and social groups rather than the general electorate.

Mr Thaksin, Mr Somchai's brother-in-law, was forced from office in a military coup in 2006.

The protesters have been occupying the grounds of government buildings for six weeks, but until Tuesday the demonstration had been largely peaceful.

Several thousand PAD protesters broke out of the compound where they had been staying and marched to the parliament late on Monday.

They tried to seal off the building by putting up barriers of old tyres and barbed wire.

The police responded with tear gas, injuring more than 100 people. Deputy Prime Minister Chavalit Yongchaiyudh said he was resigning over the clashes.

The protesters later regrouped - locking some lawmakers inside the building and cutting off the power supply.

The new government says it wants to start negotiations with the PAD, but it is also pushing ahead with controversial plans to amend the constitution, a key grievance of the protesters who see it as part of a plan to rehabilitate Mr Thaksin.

The alliance says the government must resign because of its links to Mr Thaksin, who lives in the UK and has requested political asylum there.

It accuses him of corruption and abuse of power while he was in office, and has also suggested that Mr Thaksin and his allies have a hidden republican agenda, a serious charge at a time when the country is beset by anxiety over the future of the monarchy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/7656073.stm

Comment

This is so sad. I absolutely love Bangkok as I spent much of my vacations there 2001 - 2004. I sincerely hope this ends soon and they find a peaceful resolution.
      HUGE AL

Comment

I was in Bangkok in the early part of last week. Seemed business as usual at that time. Glad I was out of by last Wednesday.
        My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

Comment

Heading to Bangkok in December for New Years. I'll be there for two weeks...Not really worried though. I was in Bangkok for 3 weeks during Aug...and when they declared the emergency there.

Does it help that I know where the protesting is going on and get local news from aunts/uncles living there ?

Comment

Protests are near the Khao Sarn road area...

Comment

My wife and I ended up going to bangkok for part of our honeymoon - no problem whatsoever. In fact I was pleasantly surprised to see how much Bangkok had improved from only ten years ago when I last spent significant time there.

This is not a good thing for the Thai people. Whilst there I read the Bangkok Post most days and a lot of stories were on the impact of a dowturn in tourism on their economy. On top of the current financial situation, I really do hope for the Thai people they sort this out quickly and blood free.

Comment

The trouble is definitely affecting tourism/visitors. I arrived earlier this week and a quite flight from KUL and about 45 minutes after disembarking I was checking in at the SGS. That's Changi/Singapore-esq.

Having said that the SGS was all but full and the rates don't seem to have come down much for any of the properties I have checked recently.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                  The trouble is definitely affecting tourism/visitors. I arrived earlier this week and a quite flight from KUL and about 45 minutes after disembarking I was checking in at the SGS. That's Changi/Singapore-esq.

Having said that the SGS was all but full and the rates don't seem to have come down much for any of the properties I have checked recently.
                  Man Flyer, how is the security around the city and at the SGS? From your point of view (and others around you), have things calmed down quite a bit and they're on their way to stability?
                  HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                    Man Flyer, how is the security around the city and at the SGS? From your point of view (and others around you), have things calmed down quite a bit and they're on their way to stability?
                    I can't comment on most of the City as I was only there overnight but certainly around the area of Sukhumvit where the SGS is you wouldn't know there was anything going on. It's no different.

I'd be hesitant to use the word stable for the situation though, as it could go either way knowing that lot. They could also end up in a dust up with Cambodia any minute just to add to the fun.

I was also in Phuket this week and visitor arrivals there are down 30%. But they've had a triple whammy with the plane crash, PAD demonstrators who closed Phuket airport for a few days and the economic situation. I was the only one in J on the MH flight to KUL the other night with just 25 in Y.

Still plenty of bizarrely dressed Russians there though....

Comment

They could also end up in a dust up with Cambodia any minute just to add to the fun.
                      Many of my Cambodian friends are hoping for this as they strongly believe it would be the best thing for the country and its people.

I was also in Phuket this week and visitor arrivals there are down 30%. But they've had a triple whammy with the plane crash, PAD demonstrators who closed Phuket airport for a few days and the economic situation. I was the only one in J on the MH flight to KUL the other night with just 25 in Y.
                      That's CRAZY!
                      HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                        Many of my Cambodian friends are hoping for this as they strongly believe it would be the best thing for the country and its people.
                        How on earth could a war with their neighbour be the 'best thing' for them ?.

Comment

I hope and believe Phuket is still safe to travel to, right?

Am flying there this Sunday.

Comment

I'm posting this from BKK airport TG lounge. Arrived at on a redeye early this a.m. and instead of catching the immediate connection back to SIN, I decided grab a later flight and headed into town for a few hours.

I can report that in the "main areas" such as Wireless Road and Sukhumvit, all appears to be normal. Usual crazy traffic, no overt signs of nervousness. Perhaps some feeling of fewer tourists.

Comment

It's because the downtown area is unaffected generally.

The hotspot is near Parliament house - if you want to see those CNN moments, that's where you have to be.

Everything is otherwise biz as usual.

Comment

How on earth could a war with their neighbour be the 'best thing' for them ?.
                                Their feeling is that if Thailand takes over (which wouldn't be too hard), the suffering of the people via the government corruption would at least be minimized to a great degree. Their words, not mine.
                                HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                                X