No announcement yet.

SE Asia beach in May/June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This time, it's not me who's footing the bill... thus I don't make that decision

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
      Bali will be in the dry season - perfect for surfing. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g2...hen.To.Go.html
      OK, Bali booked. Excellent CX sale ex-LHR - sub-£2k to DPS (J, obviously - book by next week, but very limited availability, cheaper through agents than direct)

Next question...

Jimbaran or Nusa Dua?

I know Nusa Dua is a sterile tourist enclave, and you could quite possibly be in Cancun without the loud Americans... But you can also wander for miles on a beach that's clean-as-a-whistle. Like!

Any thoughts? Go!

Comment

Definitely enjoyed Nusa Dua more but Jimbaran's IC is hard to beat

Comment

Originally posted by kt74 View Post
          Next question...

Jimbaran or Nusa Dua?

I know Nusa Dua is a sterile tourist enclave, and you could quite possibly be in Cancun without the loud Americans... But you can also wander for miles on a beach that's clean-as-a-whistle. Like!

Any thoughts? Go!
          Nusa Dua itself is very sterile, but some of the Hotels down there are excellent. Not sure about the beach being that clean but it's a couple of years since I was there. It's quite an interesting walk up and down it as you pass all the resorts that you can call in for something to eat/drink as you wish. It's not the most spectacular beach you'll ever see though...

Why not thinking about Seminyak ?. That and Ubud are my favourite parts of Bali.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
            Nusa Dua itself is very sterile, but some of the Hotels down there are excellent. Not sure about the beach being that clean but it's a couple of years since I was there. It's quite an interesting walk up and down it as you pass all the resorts that you can call in for something to eat/drink as you wish. It's not the most spectacular beach you'll ever see though...

Why not thinking about Seminyak ?. That and Ubud are my favourite parts of Bali.
            I know Nusa Dua is sterile! I'm celebrating a big birthday (ugh), and I want to close to the beach (cleanliness is relative!) and be far away from humanity

Any hotel recommendations? I was thinking a couple of nights at the IC, and then to one of those mega-resorts on the beach. I'm over the Grand Hyatt, so how to choose between the Laguna, Conrad, etc?

Comment

Any hotel recommendations? I was thinking a couple of nights at the IC, and then to one of those mega-resorts on the beach. I'm over the Grand Hyatt, so how to choose between the Laguna, Conrad, etc?
              Do you have status with any of the major chains ?. That could make a difference.

I've stayed at the Conrad four and five times and am a big fan, as long as there is not one of the large Indian Weddings on there as it then beomes a bit manic.

I've also stayed at the Westin and Laguna (they are next door to each other) and they are ok but not as good as the Conrad IMHO. The Conrad benefits from having Bumbu Bali close by as well. The St Regis is down the bottom past the GH in Benoa and while I haven't stayed there I have eaten there and it looks a very nice place. Same with the IC.

The problem is the rates at these places can fluctuate wildly at times.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                Do you have status with any of the major chains ?. That could make a difference.

I've also stayed at the Westin and Laguna (they are next door to each other) and they are ok but not as good as the Conrad IMHO.
                Thanks for the tips!

Irritatingly, I only maintain Marriott status these days, which is no good in Bali

While the Conrad has awesome reviews, without HH status, you have to pay extra for *everything*, which doesn't make it as attractive

At least at Laguna and Westin, apparently I can sign up for SPG corporate preferred status (upgrade, late check out). How would you choose between the two?

Comment

I know Nusa Dua is sterile! I'm celebrating a big birthday (ugh), and I want to close to the beach (cleanliness is relative!) and be far away from humanity

I don't associate Nusa Dua resorts with "far away from humanity". relative to Kuta, may be. But compared to Uluwatu .... no way.

I stayed at the Conrad once and I didn't like it. Too big and too many families I feel. The property was also a little old and generic in design. From there, moved to the Bulgari at Uluwatu and that was mind-glowingly amazing experience. But of course can't compare the two because it's of a different price range and target market. And Uluwatu is spectacular. Nusa Dua is just another beach for me.

I like the Leading Hotels group. It's not a chain but more of a collection of independent properties. A lot are independent and some are part of high-end boutique groups. Properties are generally not big and have more character. May be on the high side by Bali standards. In Bali, about USD350-450.

I like their loyalty programme, one free stay for every 5 nights and no restriction where you can redeem it. I can stay at their USD100 hotels and redeem it at their USD1,000+ resorts. And there are free upgrades to next category, early check-in, late check-out, free internet, and breakfast. Membership is not free though - USD150 for the basic.

Even for non-members, they have 5,000 miles per stay promo (min 2 nights stay). But this is only for the Mulia at Nusa Dua for the current promo. I much prefer their other properties in Ubud and Jimbaran. But beware, for this promo, you have to book at www.lhw.com/krisflyer and nowhere else and you have to key in your krisflyer number there and right there on that page. They have different pages for different airline programme. You have to go to the correct one.
                  Last edited by SQueeze; 10 April 2014, 08:42 AM.

Comment

What's the attraction of Bali? I've never been so curious to know.

Comment

While the Conrad has awesome reviews, without HH status, you have to pay extra for *everything*, which doesn't make it as attractive.
                      That's true, all my stays have been as Diamond so I get the 'extras' free. We did really like the lounge there, particularly the outdoor bit. I know another SQTalker regularly stays in the all Suite parts adjacent to the main building and is a big fan.

At least at Laguna and Westin, apparently I can sign up for SPG corporate preferred status (upgrade, late check out). How would you choose between the two?
                      My preference would be the Laguna, but that is undoubtedly influenced by the fact that as a Plat they gave us an amazing two floor Suite, which was actually more like an apartment, last time we stayed there.

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post

I stayed at the Conrad once and I didn't like it. Too big and too many families I feel. The property was also a little old and generic in design.
                      I am afraid you could get caught anywhere in Bali with 'too many families'.

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                      What's the attraction of Bali? I've never been so curious to know.
                      I reiterate my belief that the fact you live so close but have never been is a 'disgrace'.

Get over there and try it out. Look forward to the TR.

Comment

I tried the Laguna last Sept (first visit to the resort, in fact it was my first night in Bali, ever) - split sunken lounge/bedroom thingo, they assured me it was an upgrade of sorts. It was definitely not a two floor Suite, however. Room was booked using Starpoints (most properties seem to like that more than cash even, sometimes!)

Then the next day, we moved to the Jimbaran Suite at the IC and vowed not to be persuaded back to the Laguna ever again... except for the clearer water

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer
                          I reiterate my belief that the fact you live so close but have never been is a 'disgrace'.

Get over there and try it out. Look forward to the TR.
                          Beach resorts don't excite me....

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                            Beach resorts don't excite me....
                            I am just like you. Beaches don't excite me except may be Icelandic black beach.

But Bali is so much more than just beaches. There are mountains and lakes and temples. I much prefer the hills around Ubud. Very nice resorts there as well.
                            And Uluwatu is spectacular on the cliff.

IMO, of all the tropical islands, I thought Bali is one of the unique ones that still enchants me with both its nature and culture.

Comment

I am just like you. Beaches don't excite me except may be Icelandic black beach.

But Bali is so much more than just beaches. There are mountains and lakes and temples. I much prefer the hills around Ubud. Very nice resorts there as well.

IMO, of all the tropical islands, I thought Bali is one of the unique ones that still enchants me with both its nature and culture.
                              Ubud is my favorite part of Bali. To be fair, I also like Jimbaran and Uluwatu. Really, any part of Bali for me is okay as long as it's not Kuta.

Comment

Yup, I totally hear you. Culture and cliffs and mountains and lakes. But, as per the thread title, not on this trip!

I may be yellow on the outside, but I live in dreary London, and this banana likes to ripen

Comment

Working...
                                X