Where to stay in Bangkok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
    And we maintain ours on the cheapskates.

Talking of psycho taxi drivers, the one that took me from Copacabana to GIG last week made the Bangkok lot look like pansies.
    Hey, now that TG410 lands almost at midnight, you'll understand my need to get to the hotel fastest means possible. I can't wait for a slow, stately pansy-automobile driver...

I got an unbelievably awesome (and scary) USM driver also over the past weekend working for the Conrad. We nearly went over the cliff in a Toyota Fortuner. Decided to try out their X5 on the way back to the airport and it felt quite thrilling also. They love to accelerate on that tiny island, it seems!

Comment

Talking of psycho taxi drivers, the one that took me from Copacabana to GIG last week made the Bangkok lot look like pansies.
      Allow me to refer you to my preferred car driver next time.

He even carries a business card with a Starwood-afiliated logo

Note that the return needs to be from the same place as drop off, just in case you are thinking of changing hotels. There was a discount of 25% off the return until a few months back but that has now gone and they are now charging two one ways if you pay by card to stop the cancelling the payment trick people were using.
      I do miss that 25% discount on the return booking, the details of which you shared with us here on SQTalk and for which I thank you

Now that they're charging my cc twice for the two-way trips, I recently tested them by asking for a different hotel for the return pick up than the drop off and they were able to do it
      Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Originally posted by B727 View Post
        Allow me to refer you to my preferred car driver next time.
        I may well do that!.

I do miss that 25% discount on the return booking, the details of which you shared with us here on SQTalk and for which I thank you
        It was 50% for a while, both during the protests and also when the Rail Link was opened. But as the protests have ended and the Rail Link has proved to be a bit of white elephant (especially to Maksan CAT), they have no need to discount at the moment.

Now that they're charging my cc twice for the two-way trips, I recently tested them by asking for a different hotel for the return pick up than the drop off and they were able to do it
        The double charge system they have introduced is because people were booking a return, getting dropped off on the first leg then calling to cancel the transcation before the return. Mainly people going to Pattaya apparently...

Comment

Mainly people going to Pattaya apparently...
          Speaking of which, I'm supposed to take a trip to the Sheraton Pattaya Resort next year, hmm

Comment

Hi all,

Sorry for the late reply. Was held up by work over the past few days.

Anyway, the 3 hotels were selected as they are close to the Platinum Mall. Something my Mrs is very adamant about. We had a pact: She chose the hotel, I choose the flight.
            As for the transport, it's not really AOT vs cab, but AOT/cab vs rail. But think we'll be going for the AOT.

Also, judging by the last few posts, should I be making a return booking for the AOT? What is this double charging mentioned?

Comment

Have you asked the Mrs to consider Pullman King Power? It's not far off and tremendously better...

Comment

OT: what's the Platinum Mall attraction?

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                  200THB clothing (sometimes 100THB) dresses/accessories that break every 5 uses... not really one for the guys...

Comment

I'm not really sure what's the attraction either. I just wanna fly on Thai's A380 and Mrs wants to tag along and chose that area.

I've learnt not to question her too much. :-P

Yeah I'm hen pecked. Haha!

Comment

Originally posted by RCTP View Post
                      I'm not really sure what's the attraction either. I just wanna fly on Thai's A380 and Mrs wants to tag along and chose that area.

I've learnt not to question her too much. :-P

Yeah I'm hen pecked. Haha!
                      There is no incentive staying that area. Most of the hotels are old (First Hotel, Baiyoke, Amari Watergate, Arnoma blah blah blah... as i mentioned, tourist group class) that has not seen a refurb in the last ten years.

The only hotel worth paying to stay in that area would be Centara Grand at Central Wrold and Novotel Platinum. Both are around the same price bracket, and while I have not stayed in the former, Novotel feels very cold and standard in terms of service.

However if convinience is your decision making factor, go for novotel

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                        200THB clothing (sometimes 100THB) dresses/accessories that break every 5 uses... not really one for the guys...
                        i concur with you on the quality. The prices are at least x2 and up

Comment

Hi all,

Sorry for the late reply. Was held up by work over the past few days.

Anyway, the 3 hotels were selected as they are close to the Platinum Mall. Something my Mrs is very adamant about. We had a pact: She chose the hotel, I choose the flight.
                          As for the transport, it's not really AOT vs cab, but AOT/cab vs rail. But think we'll be going for the AOT.

Also, judging by the last few posts, should I be making a return booking for the AOT? What is this double charging mentioned?
                          This means they will bill you as 2 separate transactions.

Comment

Yes, you might as well make the AOT return trip booking while you're booking the trip to the hotel.

The ladies at the AOT will charge you for two one-way trips, one going to the hotel and another going back to the airport for the reason MAN Flyer outlined.

If Platinum Mall is your destination, might as well as stay at the Novotel Platinum cuz it's right there. Shop till you drop and you can always walk back across the bridge to Central World and catch a Skytrain to go somewhere else or cross the street to Pratunam for some khao man gai

Comment

Originally posted by B727 View Post
                              Speaking of which, I'm supposed to take a trip to the Sheraton Pattaya Resort next year, hmm
                              It's a very nice hotel. Far enough away from the madness but great location on the hill.

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                              I'd never heard of the place to be honest.

Comment

I'd never heard of the place to be honest.
                                Based on the information above, we would worry if you had...
                                HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                                X