No announcement yet.

Bangkok/Thailand flood warnings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am starting to get worried about passing through BKK on my way to SIN for the 5th anniversary DO. But fingures crossed BKK will stay open. A colleague flew today from BKK and said it all still looked fine with no sign of flood water near the airport.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
      I am starting to get worried about passing through BKK on my way to SIN for the 5th anniversary DO. But fingures crossed BKK will stay open. A colleague flew today from BKK and said it all still looked fine with no sign of flood water near the airport.
      I flew into BKK today and was on TG403 departed 0800, all was dry there
      This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

DMK closed

Floods close Don Mueang

Floodwaters have reached Don Mueang Airport, forcing a halt to all flight operations until at least next Tuesday.*

With the opening of Suvarnabhumi as Bangkok’s primary airport this is no longer the front-page story it would have been years ago, but it is a big blow nevertheless.

Airports of Thailand (AoT) chairman ACM Sumet Phomanee said the airport was closed to flights from 2pm yesterday. Floodwater entered the runways of Don Mueang from the adjacent Wing 6 of the air force based to the east.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/...lose-don-muang
        This wasn't totally unexpected, IMO. Unimaginable if it happens to Survanabhumi.

Comment

Talking now about some areas of Bangkok to remain flooded for 'weeks' so that's not so good. If everyone can keep posting, very helpful getting eyes on the ground. I'm supposed to be there next month for a week too so thanks guys for the updates.

Comment

i was flying out of bkk to hkg on friday morning, the way to airport was dry. no water no jam. it was 6am though
            visit my blog

Comment

I arrived on Friday evening at 8pm and got to Sukhumvit road in about 25 minutes. There was virtually no traffic on the road. I think a lot of people have heeded the government advice and left.

Left this morning and the road and the airport all dry.

Comment

Ladies and Gents,

Here's a little something courtesy of Google Maps

Gives a good indication of where things are at...

Comment

Just got back

I just got back after moving our stuff to higher ground and sending the extended family out of town.

Were in Sukhumvit Soi 107, or Soi Laselle and although he water has not yet arrived, life is not easy.

Spent the last 5 days trying to buy some water, none to buy, although we found some cases of Club Soda.

Central Bangkok for now is dry, but even in Phuket they are reporting shortages of staple goods.

I suspect it will be many weeks after the water subsides till things get back to normal.

Comment

Originally posted by Lie_flat_seatlover View Post
                    I just got back after moving our stuff to higher ground and sending the extended family out of town.

Were in Sukhumvit Soi 107, or Soi Laselle and although he water has not yet arrived, life is not easy.

Spent the last 5 days trying to buy some water, none to buy, although we found some cases of Club Soda.

Central Bangkok for now is dry, but even in Phuket they are reporting shortages of staple goods.

I suspect it will be many weeks after the water subsides till things get back to normal.
                    chock dee nah krap...
                    This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by Lie_flat_seatlover View Post

I've moved our flights to early Jan. Would that be considered a safe time?
                      Life's A Bitch,
                      Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

Originally posted by inix View Post
                        I've moved our flights to early Jan. Would that be considered a safe time?
                        Yes Jan should be perfectly safe. The rains have stopped now but there is still a lot of water up North that has to flow to the sea via Bangkok. This might take another month but after that there will not be more floods to the rainy season next year.

Comment

One or two hotel GMs have told me the next two weeks will see high occupancy at their BKK hotels as some people have no choice but to move out of their flooded homes, they further said it could really take up to two months for everything to return to normalcy

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
                            Yes Jan should be perfectly safe. The rains have stopped now but there is still a lot of water up North that has to flow to the sea via Bangkok. This might take another month but after that there will not be more floods to the rainy season next year.
                            Thanks. I'm not really so concerned for myself as I'm flying SQ on redemption. I'm more concerned about my extended family members who are flying Jetstar. Just the flight change alone cost them an additional $250 (which is around RM600 for them), and it caused them alot of grief!
                            Life's A Bitch,
                            Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

Working...
                            X