Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Options to MLE & Malaysia: SQ or MH? & advice on overnight stay near Male Airport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, but you're also assuming that Embudu will drop everything and go whenever The W wants to go. Having the concierge arrange it ensure Embudu's end is OK with the timing for the speedboat from Embudu.

And on the off-chance, KeithMEL might actually *want* to spend more time on Embudu also. (it's a fantastic little island, I must say)

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
      Yes, but you're also assuming that Embudu will drop everything and go whenever The W wants to go. Having the concierge arrange it ensure Embudu's end is OK with the timing for the speedboat from Embudu.
      Is this a resort or a prison ?

KeithMEL to Embudu - "Please arrange a speedboat to take me back to the airport to arrive at X a.m. tomorrow morning."

Done (hopefully)! No need to ask them to speak to the seaplane company etc.

Comment

Cheers for the suggestions.

TBH I'm not fussed about where we end up staying for that 1 night. We arrive in MLE at 2155. We'd not be spending much time at wherever we stay that night, possibly less than 12 hours. Just need something cost effective (whatever that means in the Maldives), quick and convenient to get to from the airport and back.

The Sheraton seems to have gone up in price since the last time I looked - it costs about the same as the airport hotel now, which renders the whole boat taxi rigmarole pointless. So it's either the airport hotel, or if I can save a good chunk of cash, the Trader's, Embudu (both of which look nicer than the airport hotel I do have to say!) or something that's equally acceptable in close proximity to the airport. We don't leave for a while yet so I'll keep an eye out for good rates closer to the time.
        Last edited by KeithMEL; 14 June 2011, 07:51 PM.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

They don't treat their speedboat as a taxi. I've found from experience that most things tend to go on Maldivian-pace/timing. Furthermore, the Embudu will try to time the speedboats so that they match the departure/arrival times of the large commercial airlines, with seaplanes to onward (competing) resorts presumably a lesser priority.

Best to let the Maldivians work it out with the Maldivians, helped along by a guest's suggestion, as that is what's likely to happen.

Let's not forget, this is a resort that charges on average around USD180 a night (okay, USD245 if you must have that water bungalow)... a Taj/W/other 5-star property this is not. But it's for sure miles ahead of Hulhule, and in my opinion anything on Male, for a very comparable distance.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
            We arrive in MLE at 2155. We'd not be spending much time at wherever we stay that night, possibly less than 12 hours. Just need something cost effective (whatever that means in the Maldives), quick and convenient to get to from the airport and back.
            In that case, I would go for the airport hotel if you don't mind paying double compared to, e.g., the Embudu Kyo mentioned. There's a shuttle bus or you can simply walk down the road from the airport (only about 5-10 minutes) which is what I did.

Like you, I arrived late and had a seaplane flight to the W early the next morning. IIRC, the first seaplane flight leaves around 7-8am in the morning (plus you have to allow time for check-in, waiting at the lounge etc) and given what you're no doubt paying at the W, it's better to arrive earlier there to maximise your time there.

Comment

Just found some hotels on nearby Hulhumale which could possibly be the answer for our overnight stay:
              http://www.agoda.com/asia/maldives/m...hulhumale.html
              http://kanddaisy.com/daisyinn/hulhumale.php

Both hotels claim to be a 15 mins' drive from the airport and offer shuttle bus transfers to the airport. They're also a lot cheaper than the airport hotel, under USD100 for 1 night. Looking at Google Maps, Hulhumale island appears to be physically connected to Huhule, where the airport is located.

Admittedly they appear significantly downmarket compared to the airport hotel or the Traders on Male, but we're only looking for somewhere clean and convenient to get to for a few hours' kip before heading back to the airport for the W seaplanes. The only spanner in the works is that booze is banned on that island but I'm sure we'll manage to stay dry for a few hours before we get to the W.
              Last edited by KeithMEL; 16 June 2011, 10:40 AM.
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                The only spanner in the works is that booze is banned on that island but I'm sure we'll manage to stay dry for a few hours before we get to the W.
                YOUUUU'RE KIDDING!

Never thought I'd hear that!

Comment

Working...
                X