Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are all Singapore Airlines 777-200ER but some with derated engines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
    All of SQ's 777-200s have centre tanks because Boeing built them as 777-200ERs.
    Yup, am aware of that. Refer to post #7. I meant Boeing built B772s.

Comment

Originally posted by boing View Post
      Refer to post #7.
      I've tried.

Originally posted by boing View Post
      I meant Boeing built B772s.
      I still don't know what you mean. All 777s have been built by Boeing.

SQ have never had any 777-200s that were not built as 777-200ERs. All SQ 777-200s are consider by Boeing to be 777-200ERs.

Comment

How is the range of derated 777?

Comment

Can they use the extra fuel tanks on those with derated engines?

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
            They wouldn't need to on those regional flights.

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
              I've tried.

I still don't know what you mean. All 777s have been built by Boeing.

SQ have never had any 777-200s that were not built as 777-200ERs. All SQ 777-200s are consider by Boeing to be 777-200ERs.
              Maybe I never made myself clear. I meant the "B772s" in SQ's fleet. Specifically, SV, SR and SQ.
              And I meant original B772s when I mentioned Boeing built B772s. Not B772ERs masquerading as B772s in SQ fleet.

Techinically, they could as long as they don't exceed the MTOW. But I can't see a destination that they fly to requiring them.

Comment

Can a pilot who pilots the 777 pilot all 3 types SQ have. Do they have a generic type rating. Can a 777 pilot operate the 777-200, 777-200ER, 777-300 & 777-300ER? Or because some have different engines does this not make it possible?

Thanks very much
                sunnyday is indeed correct about that and the reason behind it is because all the 777s share literally the same cockpit layout and flight instrumentation. The only difference that comes into play is the fact that the -300/-300ER are bigger in length (so pilots have to take extra consideration during taxiing around corners and while taking off to make sure that tailstrikes don't occur).

Even if the engines being used is different (772 = RR Trent 884, 772ER = RR Trent 892, 77W = GE90-115B), the difference it makes for the pilots is minor. They would only have to worry about what primary engine parameter they have to monitor on the EICAS (EPR for RR powered 777s and N1 for GE powered 777s)

Going a bit off topic too here, but this is why Airbus utilizes "common cockpit philosophy". This means that the the cockpit layout is almost identical from the A318 to the A319, A320, A330, A340 and begins to slightly differ on the A380. I know of Airbus pilots who have told me that due to the similarity in the cockpit layout, an Airbus A320 pilot would only have to go through a "cross-crew qualification" course that lasts for several days and voila!, he/she is eligible to fly the A330. Same goes for A330 to A340, etc. This is why most low-cost carriers utilize an Airbus fleet, AirAsia, for example. A320 pilots can easily fly the A340 in AirAsia X in a matter of days, and the training doesn't cost much. Airbus aircraft are also generally cheaper than the Boeing rivals due to cost-efficiency.
                Such a gentle way about you / All around the world / Wouldn't go away without you / Singapore Girl, you're a great way to fly

Comment

I've read on here that -SQI and -SRN are no longer derated.

Are these currently the only 2 that have been done and where is SQ planning on flying these to?

Comment

So does that mean the derated 772s have the range of the 772ERs and can fly the longer routes that the latter does? Or is it impossible considering the MTOW

Comment

Originally posted by Tom/PER View Post
                      I've read on here that -SQI and -SRN are no longer derated.

Are these currently the only 2 that have been done and where is SQ planning on flying these to?
                      AKL & CHC

Comment

they will have the same range and MTOW of the 772ERs but still the old oxygen system of the "772"

they are unable to do the european runs due to oxygen requirements over high terrain over kabul

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                        So does that mean the derated 772s have the range of the 772ERs and can fly the longer routes that the latter does? Or is it impossible considering the MTOW

Comment

forget to add..they do not have crew rest facilities so you won't see them being used for JNB too

Originally posted by sunnyday View Post
                          they will have the same range and MTOW of the 772ERs but still the old oxygen system of the "772"

they are unable to do the european runs due to oxygen requirements over high terrain over kabul

Comment

Originally posted by Aulia Harun View Post
                            sunnyday is indeed correct about that and the reason behind it is because all the 777s share literally the same cockpit layout and flight instrumentation.
                            In some airlines, the B773ERS, being new, have the EFB fitted in the cockpit compared to the other B777s. Other than that, there's no other noticeable diff. In fact, i've come across pilots who don't even know which version of the B777 they are flying.

Comment

EFB fitted in the cockpit
                              What is that please?

Comment

What is that please?
                                Electronic Flight Bag. Until very recently, pilots had to carry around a huge briefcase of books containing data on airports, flight paths, etc. Making this electronic is a nice weight savings and convenience for pilots.

Comment

Working...
                                X