Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think about these seating scenarios?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think about these seating scenarios?

It's Friday night here. I am bored. This site seems in a slow time. Perhaps everyone is traveling. Find no new updates yet on the trip report finale from nickbot. No one seems get excited with the news about the new regional seats. What to do? Think... think ... and think more ... and something cross my mind. How the script below?

Remember some old posts here as well as in TOF mentioning about the power of being Solitaire (or Life Solitaire) particularly in seat preference or favorite seats to get? For example, someone mentioned that he/she being TPP was able to kick out another pax (most probably a QPP) who was seated in 17A or 17C on 744 (yes, the roomy exit row upper deck). Of course, the ground staff pulled the string to satisfy the most valuable customer by giving the TPP the seat he/she wants which is one of the best in C class. By doing this, it takes a precedent for others to think that it's a right or benefit being TPP to be able to kick out someone from the seat that had been assigned. One customer is happy, but the other customer who gets kicked out was not happy. It feels more unhappy because this pax had the seat assigned at 17A or 17C long time when he/she bought the ticket. It just happens that at the last minute before departure, someone with higher frequent flyer status wants to be seated there.

Similar idea for Y travel. Elite pax as well as QPP/TPP/LPP get a preferential treatment when flying in Y. SQ gives the exit rows or bulkhead seats to those elite pax. Again, the higher the status, the more ability to kick out someone from those roomy leg room seats. And again, one happy customer with one unhappy customer.

These happened for years. As a result, the higher status pax has taken for granted to the fact that he/she have the right to those preferred seats.

In another scenario, a nobody pax says to SQ, I want those seats and I am willing to pay for it. As an example, give me exit row in Y, and I will pay a fee for xx dollars in addition to the fares I paid. This pax is willing to pay a surcharge, which means revenue, in order to be guaranteed to get those exit row seats. In the C class scenario, a pax said to SQ, I will travel 330 days from now, I will ticket the trip now, and I want that seat 17A or 17C on 744 to be assigned to me, and I will get that seat on the day of the travel.

Anyway, I hope at least you get the idea what I try to say as an illustration of why I am asking your opinion about the following:

• In C class, what do you think if SQ decides that the seats are free for all to be assigned. I mean whether someone is a Solitaire, or a QPP, or an Elite, or just a no status, he or she can get the previously called preferred seating such as 17AC on 744 or row 11 on 777-200ER, or 11A/11K on 77W. Furthermore, even with higher status, someone can not bump a pax who has gotten those seats when buying the ticket.
    • In Y class, what do you think if SQ allows anyone to pay xxx dollars on top of the fares paid (regardless of the fares whether it's non-accruable miles, discounted, or a full Y) to get a guarantee to be assigned in the roomy exit rows or bulkheads.
    • And of course, the next question would be those above scenarios are fair for paid $$$ fares only or fair for redemption award ticket as well?
      Or else, should it be okay for all sources of bookings (TA, SQ, or website), or should it be restricted to online on SQ website only.

Time for me to have my beauty sleep. Hopefully when it's bright and sunny, I will find this site active and lively. And of course, hope this will entice nickbot to write and to finish his trip report.

Good night!
    Good morning and good day!

My headache is so bad... the cut on my forehead
    is not healing well. But I am still alive... So it's a good sign, i.e. no concussion. But I think I am crazy by coming up with those scripts!

Looks like quite a relaxing weekend for you.

The 'seat snatching' benefit has never been offered to me by SQ reservations or check-in counters.
    In my opinion, passengers eligible for pre-reserving seats should be allowed to keep their reserved seat even if someone with higher FFP status wants their seats. That's how I'd like it to be done if I have my say anyway.

Comment

IMO, if a passenger wants a particular seat, reserve it. I don't think just because one has a card to flash means he/she gets whatever he/she wants on the plane. The purpose of seat reservation is for the customer to get the seat he wants. If high-status passengers can choose to kick people out of seats just because they want the seat, I don't see the point of advance seat reservation since whether one does it or not there's no guarantee of the seat.
      As to paying extra to get a particular seats, that just sounds either like bribery or budget airline-like.

Comment

Originally posted by wsssaero View Post
        As to paying extra to get a particular seats, that just sounds either like bribery or budget airline-like.
        As an example, UA offers pax the option to get the Economy Plus seat by paying xx dollars. I don't think that is called bribery.

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
          Looks like quite a relaxing weekend for you.

The 'seat snatching' benefit has never been offered to me by SQ reservations or check-in counters.
          In my opinion, passengers eligible for pre-reserving seats should be allowed to keep their reserved seat even if someone with higher FFP status wants their seats. That's how I'd like it to be done if I have my say anyway.
          It's very relaxing indeed to know that no one seems concerned about my scripts!
          I know you don't demand for snatching seat from other pax. But if you happens to listen to pax at the SKL check-in counter all day long, you would hear the request.

Comment

I definitely do not think that airlines should kick passengers out of their seats because a higher level FF wants it. By all means offer benefits to your best customers but it should never be at the detriment of other passengers.

Comment

I agree, and I don't think they should reissue a passenger with a new seat just because a high ranking person shows up.
              zxcvbn

Comment

I prefer the method that QF used to use for domestic travel. No pre-allocation of seats. 1-2 days before departure seats are assigned based on status and seat preferences. When OLCI opens you have access to any open seats relevant to your status. Close to departure all seats become open.

That way last minute elite or high fare-paying pax still can get good seats and not be relegated to a middle rear seat despite paying more than anyone else on board.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                  In Y class, what do you think if SQ allows anyone to pay xxx dollars on top of the fares paid (regardless of the fares whether it's non-accruable miles, discounted, or a full Y) to get a guarantee to be assigned in the roomy exit rows or bulkheads.
                  That would be a retrograde step, IMHO. What are the revenues raised against the damage to SQ's positioning as a premium class carrier? Given how tone-deaf current management seems to be when it comes to marketing to loyal customers, I wouldn't be so surprised if they go down this route, unfortunately.

Here's a quotation from BA's Willie Walsh, who has already gained quite the notoriety for being a cost-cutter:
                  Speaking at the World Low Cost Airlines Congress in London, chief executive Willie Walsh insisted that “unbundling” – charging separately for things like seat allocation, check-in and baggage – would not work for BA. He said: “Unbundling is a step too far - it’s a part of the service. With Ryanair, you have to pay to queue, you have to pay to get off the aircraft… It’s not a model that would work for the legacy carriers.”
                  SOURCE: http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...s,-gatwick-bid

SQ would do well to heed that caution.
                  Last edited by jjpb3; 29 September 2008, 06:30 PM.
                  ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Okay, i do understand that bumping someone's seat because he/she has higher FFP status is not kosher. I personally would not do that.
                    But, for me, being Solitaire, when I am in Y, and if I can not get the exit row or bulkhead with extra leg room is disappointing.
                    Of course, I do understand that many other pax are willing to pay extra to be able to book those seats. And yes, $$$ is revenue after all.
                    May be one solution would be in the middle road, such as QPP and Solitaire traveling in Y still can get to be seated in preferred seats exit rows/bulkhead in the forward part of the Y cabin; and the other exit rows/bulkhead will be available for any pax who are willing to pay extra fee.
                    In A380, upper deck exit rows and bulkheads should be reserved for PPS.
                    What do you think?

Comment

Deffinately not cool to throw low/no status pax from their seats in favour of pax with higher status. Imagine having scored the best exit seat on the plane a year before travel and on the day to find not only have you had your seat stolen, but also as all the other good seats are taken you have been put in the cramped smelly seat at the back . I think SQ has to remember that pax travelling on their aircraft could be new travellers and potential future LPPs. Who knows, such an experience might cause them to move their business to a different carrier.
                      SQ should just block more favourable seats and leave them open for high status members. This way pax with no status don't get thrown out of their seat and can actually choose a seat with confidence that they will actually be sat in it. Also SQ is rewarding its most frquent flyers.

As for the charging money issue, they really don't want to go down that route at all!
                      Summer holiday plans: Asia 09

Comment

Working...
                      X