Air Asia to go ahead with London-Malaysia launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by huaiwei View Post
    Yeapz...while the typical Asian may not give two hoots, the typical heavy-set ang mo is probably going to go all defensive and scream discrimination.
    I think the ladies might object, Asian or not.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
      I also read somewhere something about them wanting to charge fares by pax weight........ which is a little surprising for sure!
      Originally posted by scooby5 View Post
      Think that was something dreampt up in the US a few months ago but not aware of anybody going at it seriously.
      You mean this? The more you weigh, the more you pay.

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
      A new slogan perhaps,...

"Air Asia,...the airline of choice for anorexics"
      That's disgusting!

Comment

Originally posted by wsssaero View Post
        I think the ladies might object, Asian or not.
        Doubt so. I can already project the image of a Singaporean auntie jumping at the chance to trim her travel expenses just by standing on the weighing scale, and being all gleeful about it if her travelling partner happens to be a kg heavier.

Unfortunately, $$ seems to count more for too many of us.
        Help make this article a better one!

Comment

I don't know about u guys but I do not support Air Asia as they are arrogant, n am not confident about their ground mantainence work.....let's see how long they can last

Comment

anyway its non-issue as air asia have said n confirmed sometime back that it wont charge pax by weight. And dont see how air asia is seen "arrogant" but it must be remembered that it is a budget airline so one have to understand that and cant compared to any full service airline, and would believe air asia will be flying for a very long time to come.

Comment

I suppose the "arrogant" comment was made in light of their CEO's antics especially vis-a-vis the incumbents.

AirAsia recently posted quite a massive drop in its profits in Q2. Hope its a wakeup call to them not to believe that cornering a domestic market will be enough to help prop up its far less profitable international operations which are pretty minuscule for an airline named after an entire continent!

Comment

Personally I think £350 is a bit steep for a ryanair style airline! You can bag MAN-HKG-MAN with air france for £370 therefore £350 to the far east is not that amazing for a budget carrier. Plus Emiratesand Etihad often have fares around £500 to that region. I imagine most people really would spend the extra for a good seat, lots of legroom, free, quality meals and drinks, a TV with quality IFE and superb service. Lets see how long the route lasts!
                Infact I wonder how long the airline lasts. With the oil prices increasing Air asia fares have been increasing and now for example intra-thailand flights are about the same price as TG. And international flights such as HKG-KUL are similarly priced to EK, RJ and Srilankans HKG-BKK flights.
                Last edited by pogonation; 15 September 2008, 10:05 AM.
                Summer holiday plans: Asia 09

Comment

Considering BA is offering S$998 deals to London from Singapore, and even as low as S$764 in a current month-long promotion, I would be astonished why anyone will bother flying with Air Asia from Singapore to London when £350 = about S$900 now. And that is most likely the lowest and most limited price band too.

It remains to be seen how AirAsia's long-haul plans will work, and if they do not, how long they can allow their domestic operations to cross-subsidise their expensive long-range ones. Their domestic Thai and Indonesian subsidiaries have remained in the red, and regional routes are not exactly spectacular performers either.

I remain committed to my long-held believe that AirAsia has performed well only because it grew in a relatively sheltered environment with only a badly-managed MAS to contend with. The real test comes when it enters the regional and international market, where it has remained heavily dependent on its profitable domestic network to fund its expensive regional routes which face intense competition. Until it can turn its international routes around, I remain doubtful of its ambitions to be the airline it calls itself to be, instead of being Air Malaysia in essence.

Comment

Well, the time is NOW! Air Asia X will hold a press conference today at noon UK time to launch this route.

Fly from London to Malaysia on AirAsia X's Airbus A340.

Their site is up!

http://www.airasia.com/site/gb/en/home.jsp

Comment

Now in!

RM499 to London one-way, five times a week
                      By CHOI TUCK WO

LONDON: It’s £99 or RM499 one-way – that’s the much-awaited opening net fare of AirAsia X’s latest London Stansted-Kuala Lumpur route for travel between March 11 and Oct 4 next year.

Premium seats will also go for RM1,999 one-way during the same travel period.

Online bookings begin at 8pm Tuesday night (Malaysian time) for the five times a week direct flights, AirAsia X CEO Azran Osman-Rani announced at the route launch at London’s County Hall.

The launch featured a special performance by five-piece British girl band The Saturdays.

“The London-Kuala Lumpur route is the realisation of a long-held ambition to open up affordable access between Malaysia and Europe for both the Asean and European communities,” said AirAsia Group CEO Datuk Seri Tony Fernandes.

Fernandes said with the airline’s comprehensive route network, the opportunity for Londoners and Europeans to explore Asean had never been greater.

“This new route will benefit all of Asean as it will encourage more economic and tourism activities, bringing in more revenue and creating job opportunities,” he said.

Azran described the London route as a significant achievement, allowing those who had always wanted to travel between Europe and Asean to achieve their dream at an affordable price.

He said their low-fare offerings through London Stansted would stimulate greater demand from the European community to discover Asean and vice versa.

Stansted Airport’s commercial and development director Nick Barton, who finalised discussions with AirAsia X, hailed the launch as a major milestone for low-cost, long-haul air travel around the world.

“This is set to be a hugely popular link for business and leisure travellers seeking affordable long-haul travel options,” he added.

To date, AirAsia X – the long-haul affiliate of AirAsia – flies to the Gold Coast, Perth and Melbourne in Australia, Hangzhou in China and now London.

Stansted is Britain’s third busiest airport, with 22.8 million passengers passing through and many leading low-cost airlines making it their base.

Comment

Did a dummy booking, and it's bloody cheap!

RM25 to select seat.
                        RM100 for emex row

Ex-STN
                        Return costs only £200 all in

Other costs: -

Last edited by quik!; 25 November 2008, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Very nice - went and had a look inside too! Fantastic prices!

Comment

Any pics of the XL seat other than the single, non-clickable image on the homepage? Looks like non-flat "Ultimo"-like seats. Pricing seems ok at first glance.

Comment

Looks like the 99GBP party is well over! Prices are now adjusted to about £171 one way.

Comment

And will go up more. They had a full page advert in London's Metro (free) newspaper today and in the small print, it said (IIRC) that the price will go up to at least £180 each way from 1 December.

Comment

Working...
                                X