No announcement yet.

What do you guys/gals do for a living?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys/gals do for a living?

Yours truly is a student whom travels as much as possible . Just wondering what you guys/gals do for a living? I won't deny I might use some of your posts to pursue the same career, as it involves (a lot of) travelling .

Im an IT Professional in the UK. Will be giving up to go to university.

Comment

I break ships. Trust me you don't want this job...

Comment

All that I do at work is point out to people when they are acting as paranoid and illogical as the homeless guy I saw today who was throwing newspapers up in the air, wearing two different shoes, and yelling at his shopping cart. The only difference is that the homeless guy is actually schizophrenic and has an excuse for acting crazy. Most people at work don't have any excuse other than a bizarre desire to whip themselves into a frothing, delusional frenzy over nothing.

What I used to do when I started traveling a lot: http://gdifc.com

Comment

I started out training on the stuff that Kyo+ breaks... Now I handle the building of their ugly sisters that pollute our seas (ref: recent incident in the "Gulf of Margaritas").
          God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingDan View Post
            I won't deny I might use some of your posts to pursue the same career, as it involves (a lot of) travelling .
            Be careful what you wish for . When travel is such an integral part of your life through your work rhythm, it can become a challenge maintaining a non-jaded perspective. I still can't explain to my dad why travel isn't as glamorous as he thinks, not even when I describe how my acquaintance with many destinations is mostly confined to the airport, my hotel, and the client's premises.

I'm thankful, though, that there exist carriers like SQ that try to make the travel experience rise above the mundane, and forums like SQT that give me the chance to voice my thoughts on the highs and lows of contemporary travel. Oh yeah, on the latter, also to meet like-minded people who seek out the fun aspects and decide to make a game out of all of it and who keep focused on the positive.

BTW, I'm in the sector usually labeled 'business services'.
            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

jjpb3, you hit the nail on the head. My travels normally take me from the airport to some small industrial town. From there it's off to some test site or factory than back to the hotel. It's a bit sad when you are travelling for a holiday but it still always feels like work whenever you are at an airport or hotel.

Some of my mates think I am insane when I complain because I have to travel for work!
              God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                I still can't explain to my dad why travel isn't as glamorous as he thinks
                Isn't the advantage of work related travel not that it's glamorous but that you can accumulate at no cost to you miles/status for your leisure travel ?

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingDan View Post
                  Yours truly is a student whom travels as much as possible . Just wondering what you guys/gals do for a living? I won't deny I might use some of your posts to pursue the same career, as it involves (a lot of) travelling .
                  I am a human repairman - I fix people when they have choked pipes, leaky faucets, non-functioning parts and creaking structures.

If you have a passion for the medical profession, I'd recommend it. If you don't, it'd be a nightmare job.

When I travel, it is almost always for pleasure - even if it is for a medical meeting or conference. However, I travel overseas only about half-a-dozen times a year. Not much. So if travelling is your cuppa, skip my job.

Comment

I am in the not for profit sector. The big plus side is that you get to go to a lot of interesting places off the normal tourist routes. The down side is that all the work travel will be in Y. However as JHM points out you can then use the miles to make sure that your leisure travel is more comfortable.

Although I have enjoyed my travel do think carefully about it there are some big downfalls. As JJPB3 says quite often on a business trip you will see nothing more than the hotel, airport and office. On any trip there is never enough time to do the work that needs to be done so you end up working long long hours. Plus as you are away a lot it pays havoc with your social life back home.

Comment

What is this "social life back home" you speak of, Lobster??

Comment

I have the best job in the world

Comment

Originally posted by KC* View Post
                          I am a human repairman - I fix people when they have choked pipes, leaky faucets, non-functioning parts and creaking structures.

If you have a passion for the medical profession, I'd recommend it. If you don't, it'd be a nightmare job.

When I travel, it is almost always for pleasure - even if it is for a medical meeting or conference. However, I travel overseas only about half-a-dozen times a year. Not much. So if travelling is your cuppa, skip my job.
                          Actually I would like to be in the medical profession as well...but guess its too late for me to have a career switch. Or I could be watching too many episodes of House.

Comment

I am in the emergency services field. I do not travel for work what-so-ever. I travel because I love it and I have certain connections overseas

Ive started doing some home-based travel consulting too. hooked up with a friends travel agency.
                            My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Professional Student

Comment

Working...
                              X