I think I have a frequent-flying doppelgänger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I have a frequent-flying doppelgänger

This has happened a number of times (strangely, only on LON-NYC or [vice versa] flights). I'm stowing my luggage when an FA comes up to me and greets me with a very warm and cheerful "It's so nice to see you again!". Then they mention how they've seen me just a few days ago. These days I don't bother correcting them, as I've seen the embarrassment when I tell them I hadn't flown the route in a while. If they ask me, "Do you remember me?", I just say "Of course I do!"

The flight is invariably pleasant with lot of small talk and extra attention (free wine on AA), so I don't feel too bad about my white lie.

Does this happen to you? Would you correct a personable FA for mistaking you for someone else? (This is a short-ish flight on a route that I take maybe three to six times a year.)

Either I have a doppelgänger flying between London and New York, or I have a generic look about me. I hope it's the former.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Maybe their encounters with you are so life changing that time just flies until the next one ?

It's only happened to me once - AC LAX-YVR - when the IFS/CSD/ISM/CM (whatever s/he's called) apparently remembered me from a recent flight. It was a bit embarrassing to say that I hadn't flown AC in 20 years.

Comment

in YYZ on sunday ... i waited for my flight to AMS and some random asian girls ran towards me screaming "it's him! it's him!" and i did not know what was going on. they wanted my autograph so i gave it to them ... they even took photos with me i still don't exactly know who they think i was.

but yeah ... fa's actually remembered me when i was a kid. i was the kid who always threw up
      Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Not FAs - but I do get the same thing with lounge staff. The most recent experience was bizarre as I was sure I hadn't seen the guy for at least 8 months - but it turned out that the SIN SKL F barman was also working at the QF/BA J lounge. It took me a while for my brain to boot up and work out where I'd met him but he recognised me instantly. He even told me what a frequent flyer he reckoned I was.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I had it once flying LH. I think the FA had seen my SEN status and assumed that I must fly LH a lot. However I did have to point out to her that it was unlikely that she had seen me and in fact I had got mine entirely by flying OS.

The I remember you from before is a favourite of the Israeli immigration service to try and fool you into thinking that they remember you and that they will also remember if you reply to their questions differently to last time.

Comment

Originally posted by florianwagner View Post
            in YYZ on sunday ... i waited for my flight to AMS and some random asian girls ran towards me screaming "it's him! it's him!" and i did not know what was going on. they wanted my autograph so i gave it to them ... they even took photos with me i still don't exactly know who they think i was.
            You might want to try these sites

http://www.myheritage.com/FP/Company...ecognition.php

http://www.starsinyou.com/home.php

Comment

Originally posted by JetE View Post
              yeah but these sites tell me i look like

hidetoshi nakata (not true!)
              ichiro suzuki (perhaps a bit)
              alec baldwin (lol)
              condoleezza rice (lol!!!)
              lee ryan and harry judd

... so i really have no clue who they could have mistaken me for.

Comment

... so i really have no clue who they could have mistaken me for.
                You were lucky to have a group of Asian girls fawning over you. Not many of us have that sort of encounter.
                My Cafe Adventures
                Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
                http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

Oh my god... I have matches with the following:

Fukada Kyoko (72%)
                  Samo Hung (68%)
                  Hu Jintao (67%)
                  Bae Yong-jun (64%)
                  Terence Cao (63%)
                  Neil Diamond (63%)
                  Ayumi Hamasaki (61%)
                  ... and a few more

I'm elated. This is the first time anyone -- or anything -- has associated me with a Japanese actress-model!
                  My Cafe Adventures
                  Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
                  http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

I got some pretty weird results:

77% J.d. Fortune
                    76% Heather Graham
                    74% James Franco
                    74% Halle Berry
                    71% Roy Keane

Comment

at least you're not a Condoleezza Rice lookalike

Comment

at least you're not a Condoleezza Rice lookalike
                        I have an African American woman in me too. Starsinyou tells me I resemble Angela Bassett to 61%.

Starsinyou treated me quite well
                        Ewan McGregor 78%
                        Adam Sandler 73%
                        Claudia Pandolfi 71%
                        Hayden Christensen 69%
                        Dayang Nurfaizah 67% (must be a nationality thing)
                        ... and more, including Qu Xin, Justin Timberlake and Michael Vartan... yay... though apparently I resemble them less than I resemble Angela Bassett.

Interestingly, I got Fujiki Naohito on both sites. So if I ever get pestered for an autograph, I'll sign his name.

Comment

I did this several months ago, and the site told me that I looked like a mix of Werner von Braun (the guy who constructed the saturn IV rocket), Sean Connery and Viggo Mortensen. Loooool???
                          Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Indeed Sir jjpb3 has his double! Last night, an older gentleman seated in another table thought that Sir jjpb3 is from Calgary. Hmmm a very rich oil man I must say!

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
                              Indeed Sir jjpb3 has his double! Last night, an older gentleman seated in another table thought that Sir jjpb3 is from Calgary. Hmmm a very rich oil man I must say!
                              Naughty you , remembering that episode. I knew I should have given you more to drink.

The guy seemed deflated I wasn't from Calgary.
                              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Working...
                              X