Osaka Hotels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mhadian View Post
    I'm deciding between Hilton Osaka or Westin or RC, from this thread I assume RC is the favorite one

Anyone stayed on Hilton Osaka? any reviews for it?

Also i'm planning to stay at Hilton Tokyo (Shinjuku) since the location is perfect, or should i try Westin?
    In Osaka, I've stayed at the RC once and the Westin about half a dozen times. The RC is definitely better than the Westin but the RC is also a busy hotel and significantly more expensive. Is it worth it for a nicer room ? I don't think so. (I also prefer the Westin's more Japanese feel compared to the RC's European ambience. From what I read, the club lounge at the RC is much much better than that at the Westin (which I've been to - admittedly only for breakfast.))

The RC is about a 5-10 minute walk to Osaka station (through the underground passages). I find the Westin a bit inconvenient as it's stuck out in the middle of nowhere (next to the Sky Building) - they have shuttle buses to JR Osaka station which run every 15-20 minutes and you can also walk (it takes me about 15 minutes - unlike the walk from the RC, this walk takes you outside).

I haven't tried the Hilton (which is about 5 minutes walk from the RC) but I think the general consensus (a local I know and also Michelin at least) is that the Westin is slightly better than the Hilton; and the RC is better than both of them.

As for Tokyo, I've stayed in the Westin a few times but not the Hilton. The Westin is fine except for the location.
    Last edited by jhm; 16 February 2010, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks all for the input, going to book Hilton Osaka and Tokyo, and maybe some ryokan in Kyoto ><

Comment

Sorry it's been crazy at work and have not had the chance to upload Hilton Osaka pictures.

Re Kyoto, why not consider the Westin Miyako? Otherwise, I've stayed at this ryokan which I would not hesitate to recommend http://www.kyoto-ryokan-sakura.com/index_en.html . They have staff who speak english.

The only bad thing about the Sakura is that it's on the west side of Kyoto, and not in the East (Higashiyama) where all the big shrines are. But the west side is where Nijojo, and Kinkaku-ji (Golden Pavilion) is.

Comment

If you book a ryokan in Kyoto, I think that's a good choice. We stayed at Yachiyo and I can definitely say it was good in every way, but way overpriced. Other ryokans I'm sure are comparable for a lot less, so do look around.

Comment

/OOT ><

Yea, i want to try ryokan, so my guess is trying while i'm in Kyoto, that's why i'm avoiding "Western style hotel" in Kyoto.

I can speak Japanese, so non-english ryokan is ok for me Yachiyo is indeed nice (from the website) the price is "nice" also similar to "suite" in Hilton hah!

/OOT

Comment

I'm sorry this is late, but thought I'd post in case it was useful. Osaka Hilton.

Comment

thanks for the picture, is this room the normal/deluxe?

Comment

it's the regular Hilton room. There are club floors on the upper levels of the hotel (but of course), but I found the regular rooms quite nicely appointed and of a good size (for Japanese standards).

Comment

I'm currently staying at the Imperial Hotel which I thought I'd try.

No points/miles of course. Its position is somewhat out of the way but that's part of the charm I think. (There's also a shuttle bus every 15 minutes to Osaka station so it's not that different from the Westin which is walkable to the station but a bit of a trek down an underpass etc.)

Compared to (i) the RC where I stayed a week which is far too old world European for my liking and (ii) the Westin where I've stayed many times which is a more Japanese hotel than the RC but a bit drab, I like the Imperial. It helps also that for this - my first stay which I booked the day before during a peak season - they upgraded me to a very large corner suite with a 180 degree view from the bed/living/bath rooms of the city and river (with the sakura in full bloom along the banks)!

This hotel feels very Japanese including "only in Japan" oddities like the Flying Tomato Cafe as one of the places where I can have breakfast!

Comment

In Osaka, I stay in the Imperial. It's not a great location--shuttle from the station, as many hotels do--but I find it very relaxing and not terribly expensive (depending on the season). The river view rooms are especially nice in late fall, when the trees have colored leaves.

It's obviously newer than the Imperial in Tokyo but in addition, the Osaka location doesn't have the variety of restaurants and there is a big charge (IIRC, 4000 yen or about US$40) daily for use of the large health club and indoor pool, although early morning pool use only is half of the rate.

As is true generally in Osaka compared to Tokyo, less English is spoken.

Comment

The St Regis is opening from 1 October. Their target market seems to be that currently served by the RC.

I may be in Osaka on 1 October so I'm currently debating whether to try the St Regis on its opening day or go for my favourite, the Imperial (two stays so far; upgrade the first time to a suite; and the second time to an Imperial floor) out of the Osaka hotels I've tried so far (Imperial, Westin, RC and Sheraton).

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                          The St Regis is opening from 1 October. Their target market seems to be that currently served by the RC.

I may be in Osaka on 1 October so I'm currently debating whether to try the St Regis on its opening day
                          Now booked ... and dinner that evening in one of the restaurants too!

Apparently one is Italian and the other is a French bistro - the hotel said they will send me menus when available. I just hope it won't turn out to be like the awful meal I had in one of the restaurants at the St Regis Singapore during that hotel's first week of opening...

Comment

Decided to stay in Crowne Plaza while i'm in Osaka few weeks ago, very good location IMO, just next to Kita-shinici where all the hype of night life happening. You can see loads of people at night dining/clubbing in the area, where the guys wearing suits and many girls wearing kimono, a good vibrant.

The hotel it self is ok, the lounge is small but adequate, club floor required the room key to be swapped at the elevator but other floor is not, which is neat.

Subway is close (10 mins walk) and JR Osaka is 20 mins walk.

Comment

Originally posted by mhadian View Post
                              just next to Kita-shinici where all the hype of night life happening. You can see loads of people at night dining/clubbing in the area, where the guys wearing suits and many girls wearing kimono, a good vibrant.
                              So I'm told, a lot (most ?) of those wearing kimonos are actually hostesses out with clients.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                                So I'm told, a lot (most ?) of those wearing kimonos are actually hostesses out with clients.
                                yea... i knew that after i went to the hostess bar >< but still the vibrant is quite amazing, and there's a good takoyaki stall somewhere there, where you can just sit eat your takoyaki and watch the people busting around.

Comment

Working...
                                X