No announcement yet.

I've had it... looking outside SPG for hotel stays in Singapore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I might have to make several personal trips to SIN this year, which of course includes attending the SQTalk 5th anniversary DO.

Well, the St Regis has gone up in category, thus eradicating the only good reason to stay there that was the fab value cat 5 Cash+Points bookings.

I am keen to go back to my old haunt the New Majestic. But I've just noticed several new, interesting looking hotels in Singapore with similarly trendy design-oriented flairs.

Can anyone comment on the locales of the following? And any general comments about service, or any pitfalls I should be aware of?

Klapsons:
    http://www.tablethotels.co.uk/Klapso...ngapore/113781

Wanderlust:
    http://www.tablethotels.co.uk/Wander...ngapore/115507

Scarlet:
    http://www.thescarlethotel.com/

M Studio:
    http://www.millenniumhotels.com.sg/S...oms/index.html

Leaning towards the first 2 for now....

I like the Neil Road locale of the New Majestic with heaps of great bars around so if any of these are in the vicinity of Chinatown that'd be fab. Also love being near the Clarke Quay or Boat Quay area.

Work has a $250 rate with the Mandarin Orchard but I'm not overly fond of the place apart from its proximity to my fave shops (which can be good or bad depending on how poorly my AMEX is feeling at the time!).

TIA!
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 14 April 2011, 06:34 AM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Location wise, I rank them:

StudioM - can't go wrong being on Mohammad Sultan (plenty of drink/eat places)
      Scarlet - Its on the quieter end of Chinatown
      Klapson - Quiet end of the CBD. Closer if you're into the Duxton road type of entertainment...not quite your type...
      Wanderlust - There's a hotel81 across the road and a few backpacker hostels around. also 4 blocks from a red-light district...

Comment

Thanks 9V-JKL for that very useful information!

I've struck Wanderlust off my list. A pity as it also looked the most interesting of the lot. Pardon my ignorance but what's on Duxton Road? I've been dragged into Orchard Towers (or more affectionately known as FFoW) by well-meaning friends only to discover the embodiment of all that I'm allergic to... would you mention Duxton Road in the same context?

Looks like it's Studio M, Scarlet or back to the New Majestic. Will check out pricing closer to the time.
        Last edited by KeithMEL; 14 April 2011, 09:59 AM.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Studio m's tight, the "loft" layout is a gimmick. Since you are not booking through any hotel program, Quincy might be right up your alley though.

Comment

Originally posted by sabian View Post
            Studio m's tight, the "loft" layout is a gimmick. Since you are not booking through any hotel program, Quincy might be right up your alley though.
            Ooh i missed that one! Looks nice. The Orchard Rd locale is a bit 'mainstream' though, nothing to do at night but then i suppose it's a quick cab ride anywhere. Prefer to be in staggering distance of good restaurants and bars.
            Last edited by KeithMEL; 14 April 2011, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
              Pardon my ignorance but what's on Duxton Road? I've been dragged into Orchard Towers (or more affectionately known as FFoW) by well-meaning friends only to discover the embodiment of all that I'm allergic to... would you mention Duxton Road in the same context?
              Yes but its much better these days. Although having said that, there are some rather nice food places there.

Comment

Speaking of food, Scarlet Hotel is next to Maxwell Road Hawker Centre.

Some good stalls there. I go for the porridge and you tiao

Comment

Scarlet is a very small hotel and the rooms are as well, its OK but unless you can get a really good deal there over priced IMO, plus the rooms that face the main road are noisy and only have shutters. I'd go else where to be honest, if you can swing a cheap night rate (somehow) fullerton bay is my favourite.

Comment

Originally posted by 225 View Post
                    Scarlet is a very small hotel and the rooms are as well, its OK but unless you can get a really good deal there over priced IMO, plus the rooms that face the main road are noisy and only have shutters. I'd go else where to be honest, if you can swing a cheap night rate (somehow) fullerton bay is my favourite.
                    The rooms at the Scarlet don't look as edgy as New Majestic but are still pretty interesting, and looks to be about the same size anyway (I could almost touch the wardrobe with my feet from the bed at the New Majestic in their standard Premier Pool Room). I'd just avoid the street facing rooms - I experienced a similar issue at 1929 which also had rather thin walls. Scarlet also has a rooftop bar which looks rather nice. I think it'd come down to pricing eventually. Or I might stay at all of them to compare.

I really do like the look of Wanderlust despite the bad rep of the locale, though I've been told that the hip bars and restaurants are moving in and the area is becoming gentrified like the Chinatown/Neil Road area. Might just check it out anyway. Of that list, Wanderlust looks like the coolest hotel with the most unique decor. After all, if i don't like the area, it's only a 10-15 mins or so cab ride to other areas. After studying the map, I think Wanderlust is located within walking distance to Loof at Odeon Towers (near the IC) which is a pretty good spot to hang out in that area.

The Fullerton Bay looks nice but I'm more looking for a fun boutique hotel experience.
                    Last edited by KeithMEL; 14 April 2011, 02:23 PM.

Comment

ah OK, then the scarlet is different but depends on price as you say. The roof bar is nice but ive had a couple of meals there and the service was comically bad which is a shame.
                      If you go for the scarlet then try to avoid the basic rooms id say but location is great.

Comment

I walked past Wanderlust just now; went to Sim Lim Tower to buy some stuff as its across the road. Sorry, didn't take any pics.

It doesn't get me go wow or anywhere close but hey if you like it, go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                          After studying the map, I think Wanderlust is located within walking distance to Loof at Odeon Towers (near the IC) which is a pretty good spot to hang out in that area.
                          There's Naumi across the road.

Not sure if Clarke Quay is ok with you, there's Park Hotel C.Quay and Park Regis (not related to St.R).

Comment

Don't know when you're travelling but on hotelclub, studioM has some weekend rates for like $S168

Comment

Just tossing another hotel into the boutique category - Wangz, location-wise, not as strong a contender, though...

But as you no doubt already know, in SIN, it's all a 10-mins cab ride away at most from just about anywhere.

Comment

I'll also throw the 'Gallery Hotel' into the ring...

It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I've always had a soft spot for it, and having not stayed there since 2008 and looking at the website, seems things have gotten funkier!

Comment

Working...
                                X