Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Added some general comments on post #16:

Some notes on the 77WN new products

- These products are an update of the current products already available on Boeing 777-300ER (77W) or A380.
    - So far SQ has no plans to retrofit the current fleet with the updated products, so don’t expect them to come to your favorite route soon. Deployment is currently to LHR, soon NRT and so on.
    - As product enhancements these are perfectly fine. But if SQ does a lot of marketing/advertising of NEW First, NEW Business etc., this will create higher expectation from customers expecting more changes. They should also remember that most of their premium class customers will be travelling on the ‘old’ First & Business class products, since there are no plans to retrofit those as of now.
    - Real ‘new’ First and Business will be launched together with their next batch of A380 orders from what I was told.

First Class

- I get that the grey color used brings modernity into the cabin. I find it a bit cold though.
    - I really like the design & color of the seats in First Class, the quilted stitching, etc. They look better in real life than in pictures.
    - The carbon look lights remind me of sports car interior. Very cool.
    - Amenity kit: it is back to the old format: Ferragamo perfume, hand cream, lip balm, and refreshing cloth. I prefer this to the Sothy’s and Kiehl’s kits.
    - Slightly bigger TV. Big deal. We need more improvements in F, please.
    - Protrusion/hump at row 1 seats is simply unacceptable. There should not be this compromise in First Class.
    - A Suite layout like GA F would be nice
    - Missing massage function, a very nice feature for long flights

Business Class

- J is noticeably better than before. The bed feels more spacious despite more space being allocated to the storage area.
    - Recline is much better than before in seat mode.
    - The current Business Class was already good the way it is, so there are not much to be done to enhance it. This is coming from a ‘recline to bed’ fan. I can still live with ‘flip to bed’ type as long as I can flip it early and sit, eat, and watch movie comfortably in bed mode. The enhanced Business Class is fine for that, with the help of extra pillows.
    - Business Class looks nice overall, but I don’t really like the feel of the panel surrounding the screen. Too plasticky. Leather surface would have been nice.

Comment

StarG: They should invite you to the customer focus group deciding on the new F for the A380 fleet!

Comment

Just boarded SQ638 bound for NRT and happy to find out its the new First Class! Very lucky considering I am on savers award. . Will post my impressions after landing.

Comment

Originally posted by benlee View Post
          Just boarded SQ638 bound for NRT and happy to find out its the new First Class! Very lucky considering I am on savers award. . Will post my impressions after landing.
          Lucky you - enjoy!

I'm on SQ 424 in January (and SQ 15). I wonder which dates/days of the week SQ 424 is scheduled to have the new aircraft.

Comment

Very interesting, thanks for sharing! Planning next year's holiday currently, Japan is one of the potential destinations. The in-laws concerned about the radiation affecting all of the seafood and the like, but if I can snag some savers for the new First or Business, might swing it in its favour

Does anybody know if this is a permanent change for SQ638?

Comment

it was just a temp change.

NRT will get it permanently from NS 14/15..

Comment

Hi, I treated myself to a return in F from NRT on SQ638 in Feb 2014 however I'm surprised to hear a 388 has the new cabins ? I thought only the 77W ? Has SQ received the 2nd batch of 388 (post the first 19) ? I booked F because I wanted to experience the 388 Suite but it the non-Suite F, well I might reconsider

Comment

Originally posted by Durian View Post
                  Hi, I treated myself to a return in F from NRT on SQ638 in Feb 2014 however I'm surprised to hear a 388 has the new cabins ? I thought only the 77W ? Has SQ received the 2nd batch of 388 (post the first 19) ? I booked F because I wanted to experience the 388 Suite but it the non-Suite F, well I might reconsider
                  Just read the post by Bent afterwards... well so I will have the Suite in Feb on SQ638

Comment

Durian, indeed the new cabin product will only be on the new 773s, not the new 380s, which won't be for awhile yet.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                      Durian, indeed the new cabin product will only be on the new 773s, not the new 380s, which won't be for awhile yet.
                      Yep, the new batch of A380s with the 2013 cabins will only enter service in 2017-2018

Comment

Happily smelling the new "Scottish" leather on SQ306/9VSWV now. Thanks, MANFlyer and Bent for the flight schedules. Will report on how well I sleep on this red eye to LHR when I land tomorrow.

Was told by crew that it was originally SWU but was replaced by SWV.

Comment

Well, overall, I think it's good. But I wouldn't say it is a significant jump compare to the previous 77W first class so expectation should be adjusted accordingly.

The Plus(+)
                          - Improve leather seat
                          - More gizmos and gadgets. More importantly, the buttons are now easy to operate and push.
                          - New IFE Krisworld. The new touchscreen remote is cool
                          - Better sleeping position, feels wider and more comfortable. There is no protrusion. I was at 2F. Also in the old F class, there use to be some kind of "hard plate" in the centre of the bed when fold down which can cause discomfort. Now it's gone or at least I don't feel it.

The Minus(-)
                          - No side storage space to put things. Only storage is the footrest or underneath it. I really miss those. I think they took them out to accomodate the wider seat
                          - No compartment to store the water bottle
                          - Leather clad pillow instead of arm rest

The 77W F Class is my preferred seat type when flying F, and I prefer them over the claustrophobic "suites". It is also the only type of seat in any aircraft that I can actually have a good sleep.

Overall, a good evolutionary improvement.

I won't be posting pictures as I think StarG has already done an excellent job at the start of the thread.

Comment

Just read the post by Bent afterwards... well so I will have the Suite in Feb on SQ638
                            unlikely. NS begins 30 Mar 2014

Originally posted by FSJZ View Post
                            Yep, the new batch of A380s with the 2013 cabins will only enter service in 2017-2018
                            I had the impression (from the past news interviews and press releases) that a new set of products would be unveiled for the new batch of A380s. Come 2017, 2018, the current 'new' product would be considered obsolete!

I may be wrong though.

Comment

Hope they can send a 77WN to SFO (via HKG and possibly ICN). As much as I like the 77W current product seats, I'd like to try either a new aircraft like the A380 or a new type of seating with touch screen for once.

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                                Hope they can send a 77WN to SFO (via HKG and possibly ICN). As much as I like the 77W current product seats, I'd like to try either a new aircraft like the A380 or a new type of seating with touch screen for once.
                                that will prob come later after NRT and BOM.

Comment

Working...
                                X