Cameras on IFE equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
    The is a good explanation. I buy IT equipment at work on a regular basis in the tens of thousands. It is expensive for anything custom - in fact many OEMs won't accommodate for any changes.
    Agreed, it's all about trying to sell 99% of customers the same thing and gouging money out of the 1%. Perfect example is an A3 flatbed scanner- it's identical hardware to an A4 scanner, simply extended 40% in two of three dimensions. Try finding an A3 scanner for only 40% more in price!

Comment

Originally posted by Boy View Post
      I still feel the additional effort/cost would be negligible. There's no need to have a different mould. Software-wise, it's relatively easy to maintain just 1 variant that can work with the absence of the camera. It's running Android after all, where camera access is not guaranteed (permission-based). Besides, since SIA is not using the camera function anyway, existing code may even work without any change.

I don't believe SIA has no bargaining power (to ask for the modification at little to no extra cost) in this case. Looks more like an oversight if you ask me.
      Since you already said that camera access can be set, isn't it much easier to just leave the camera there, and disabled it through the settings?

By the way, removal of camera of smartphone from non-official dealers (might not really be authorized too) already cost about $20 to $30 per set. Expect it to cost even more for authorized removal from OEM (if they even offered one in the first place).

Comment

easy fix for SIA - is to just have a sicker with something like its logo and just paste it over the camera pinhole, instead of leaving it open.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
          easy fix for SIA - is to just have a sicker with something like its logo and just paste it over the camera pinhole, instead of leaving it open.
          Haha ... even easier my daughter would gladly assist with her sticker book collection and paste all over the plane and not only the camera if she could

Comment

Originally posted by Boy View Post
            Looks more like an oversight if you ask me.
            Whatever good and legitimate explanation / excuse that can be offered, this is very likely the real reason.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
              Bored passengers will peel them off.

Comment

Working...
              X