Size matters - Airbus vs Boeing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Size matters - Airbus vs Boeing

The fight has been going on for awhile now over the minimum width of economy class seats but Airbus has just launch their media offensive. "One inch makes all the difference"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp-Gi...qPnzquatVpDTsQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YcvD...qPnzquatVpDTsQ

As a consumer, it's obvious which side of the seat I'm leaning on.

I'm ok with current width on either maker, I just wish someone would come up with a head rest which can allow decent neck stabilisation for sleeping. I know you can buy those pillows to do that, but why not build it into the seat? I get a terrible sleep when my neck hurts, not due to seat width.

Comment

Hmm I thought seat width/pitch etc etc is ultimately decided by the operating airline?

Comment

Originally posted by RCTP View Post
        Hmm I thought seat width/pitch etc etc is ultimately decided by the operating airline?
        That's what Airbus challenging. If the regulator steps in and insists on a minimum 18" width, then Boeing's seating capacity of ~400 for their new 777-9x will probably drop to a level that will be around Airbus's 350, so that the latter can compete better on the capacity level. If Airbus really wants to champion customer comfort, they should also fight for minimum pitch as well.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
          That's what Airbus challenging. If the regulator steps in and insists on a minimum 18" width, then Boeing's seating capacity of ~400 for their new 777-9x will probably drop to a level that will be around Airbus's 350, so that the latter can compete better on the capacity level. If Airbus really wants to champion customer comfort, they should also fight for minimum pitch as well.
          In the end manufacturers can restrict how tight airlines configure cabins by going for lower passenger certification numbers on new aircraft. ie a A320 is certified to carry 180 which is 18" width with about 28-29" pitch if they went only certified it for 174 that would remove one row & would allow 1" extra pitch.

Comment

Working...
          X