Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

United will be flying direct from LAX to SIN!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United will be flying direct from LAX to SIN!

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...OMAAT+Facebook

Will SQ bring forward the direct flights between SIN and LAX?

UA37
    LAX > SIN
    20:55/06:50+2

UA 38
    SIN > LAX
    1100/1015

On the other hand, HKG-SIN vv route will be axed as well.

(http://newsroom.united.com/2017-06-0...-and-Singapore)

Comment

Would love to be a fly on the wall at the next SQ management meeting.

Comment

From United's Press Release:

http://newsroom.united.com/2017-06-0...-and-Singapore

Originally posted by gumption View Post
        http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...OMAAT+Facebook

Will SQ bring forward the direct flights between SIN and LAX?
        As much as they want to I think they have no choice but to wait for the A359ULRs to be delivered. Unless they block seats or limit cargo on their regular A359s to make the range.
        Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

Remarkable.. from zero nonstops to the US in 2015 to now potentially over 5 by 2018. Cheap oil, composite materials and engine technology working wonders.

Comment

Oh dear!

But this is one flight I would not mind being overbooked on and dragged out of...

Luckily, this still means 2 SQ options (3 if they launch the A359ULR) vs 1 UA option. If I needed to travel frequently between LAX and SIN, I would much rather take the current extra stops with SQ.

Comment

I think I would still take the 1-stop SQ flight to LA (provided I decided to go to LA).

- Wider SQ 77W seats compared to the UA 787
              - A stop at NRT means I can buy my japanese goodies there.
              - 1-stop flight got 3 standard meals, non-stop flight only got 2 standard meals

Comment

Am sure SIA CEO and team is quickly studying this now and likely try to use exiting A350s with payload restrictions to introduce its non-stop SIN-LAX earlier before the end of this year instead of its intended launch next year with the 359ULR to try and claw back from United's lead.

Comment

UA launching LAX-SIN nonstop - will SQ follow?

Deja vu all over again... this time LAX instead of SFO:

http://newsroom.united.com/2017-06-0...-and-Singapore

United Airlines Announces Nonstop Service Between Los Angeles and Singapore

June 01, 2017

LOS ANGELES, June 1, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines (UAL) today announced that it will introduce daily nonstop flights between its Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) hub and Singapore's Changi Airport (SIN), effective Oct. 27, 2017 (westbound), subject to government approval. The flight between LAX and SIN will set the new distance record for any airline operating a flight to or from the United States, at 8,700 miles.

United's existing service between San Francisco International Airport (SFO) and SIN started one year ago, June 1, 2016 and holds the current record for the longest scheduled 787 flight operated by any airline and is currently the longest scheduled flight operated by any U.S. carrier, at 8,446 miles. The airline will operate both routes with Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft.

"Whether our customers are on leisure or business travel, United is making travel to Singapore easier and even more convenient than ever before and customers arriving to Los Angeles will have multiple opportunities to connect to hundreds of United destinations in the U.S., Canada and Latin America," said Dave Hilfman, United's senior vice president of Worldwide Sales. "Our commitment to our Los Angeles hub is more than 50 years strong and with today's new Singapore service announcement, we continue to strengthen our position as the leading U.S. carrier to Asia."

LAX-SIN Flight Schedule

Flight UA 37 will depart Los Angeles at 8:55 p.m. daily, arriving in Singapore at 6:50 a.m. two days later (all times local). The return flight, UA 38, will depart Singapore's Changi Airport at 11:00 a.m. daily, arriving at Los Angeles International Airport at 10:15 a.m. the same day. Flying times will be approximately 17 hours, 55 minutes westbound and 15 hours, 15 minutes eastbound.
                  Question is how will SQ respond? I'm guessing they have no choice but to start SIN-LAX with an A359 (which will probably do better range-wise than UA — will be amusing if UA has to divert to say MNL in the winter), but then what happens to SIN-ICN-LAX? Especially given that it's been less than a year since they switched ICN-SFO over to LAX.

Also interesting choice of flight numbers there... brings to mind SQ37/38

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                    Would love to be a fly on the wall at the next SQ management meeting.
                    Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                    Am sure SIA CEO and team is quickly studying this now and likely try to use exiting A350s with payload restrictions to introduce its non-stop SIN-LAX earlier before the end of this year instead of its intended launch next year with the 359ULR to try and claw back from United's lead.
                    I'm certain SQ got wind of UA's plans the moment they applied to Singapore authorities to fly the route. Likely even earlier. The news isn't a surprise to SQ.

Comment

Fantastic news. The more nonstop options from Singapore to the US, the better.

The flight schedule is great too: Morning departure out of SIN, and evening departure out of LAX. That's ideal for me (Although the UA1/2 nonstops have even better flight timings, with a slightly earlier departure out of SIN, and a later departure out of SFO.)

Agree that the flight numbers are quite cheeky, given that SQ's old nonstops to LA were SQ37/38.

Comment

The main advantage United offers for its non-stop SIN to LAX/SFO flights is that United have economy seating for those on a budget say under S$1,500. SIA new 359ULR will only be fitted with Biz and PEY seats only. Perhaps SIA could review and have some EY seats but with slightly better pitch of 34" instead of 32" for such long flights.

Comment

Competition is always good. But UA will always be crap!

2-2-2?!? Come on!
                          HUGE AL

Comment

post deleted
                            Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                              The main advantage United offers for its non-stop SIN to LAX/SFO flights is that United have economy seating for those on a budget say under S$1,500. SIA new 359ULR will only be fitted with Biz and PEY seats only. Perhaps SIA could review and have some EY seats but with slightly better pitch of 34" instead of 32" for such long flights.
                              If that's the case, there will still be people (or even full flight) for United LAX to SIN

Comment

Working...
                              X