Travel with crutches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel with crutches

I suffered a dislocated ankle on Saturday. It's a story which involves a foolhardy (with hindsight!) attempt to climb again the chapel tower of my old college; falling over on the roof; luckily, I was with a friend who went down to get help; the fire and ambulance services being called out; their ladders being too short and a helicopter not being feasible; so the only way out being on my bum one step at a time back down the very narrow spiral staircase; and finally, a visit to A&E to have the bone relocated under anaesthetic and an overnight in hospital.

Anyway, after that, I'm back at home now with my leg in a plaster for 6 weeks but a few trips coming up in that time. I'll cancel/postpone some of them but one which I'm not sure about is NYC in 2-3 weeks' time. By then, my non-weight bearing cast should be replaced by a weight bearing one (i.e. I can stand on it).

Does anyone have any experience of travelling with a leg in a plaster ? Is it easy/difficult to organise a buggy/wheelchair ? I never realised until now how it is to walk with crutches - steps or stairs are really difficult!

Thanks in advance!

Gosh - no idea about travelling with Crutches, but I'm really sorry to hear that! rest up and get well soon

Comment

Commiserations...

I've no similar experience to share which would help answer your question.

Comment

Wow, buddy! Not good. Hope you're healing up quickly.

Originally posted by jhm View Post
        Is it easy/difficult to organise a buggy/wheelchair ?
        Shouldn't be a problem at all as I've seen lots of people with casts & crutches. The most difficult thing being putting them in the overhead bin.

Think of it this way: you can now pre-board!
        HUGE AL

Comment

Sorry to hear about your accident jhm, best wishes for a speedy recovery!

I have no personal experience of flight with a plaster cast on, but seem to remember that there are restrictions on pax flying in the early stages of having one fitted due to the possibility of swelling. Paging upright man

Comment

I'm afraid to say that I've got no useful advice to offer, but I hope you're making a speedy recovery!
            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

jhm I'm sure you can Google just as well as me, but thought maybe the following link might be useful:

Can I fly if I have a plaster cast?

"Most airlines allow you to fly, but only 48 hours after the plaster cast has been fitted. This is due to the risk of swelling that may occur with a newly fitted plaster cast. For example, one British airline advises passengers, who have just had a plaster cast fitted, to wait 24 hours before a two hour flight, and 48 hours for any longer flights."

...thus sounds promising for your NYC trip in 2-3 weeks time, but perhaps only if the "new" cast has been fitted for at least 48 hours. Hope this helps

Comment

Thanks, nickbot and everyone else for the advice and wishes.

The NHS extract looks promising! I just need to find out now when I'm getting the new cast fitted.

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                Think of it this way: you can now pre-board!
                Hmmm, that's another consideration I just thought of. My seats both ways are currently in the Upstairs Dormitory which will be a problem if I can't climb stairs with the new cast and crutches! Still, I'd be happy to just be able to go...

Comment

I'm truly sorry to hear about your mishap, jhm - the closest I've come was flying with my wrist in a wrist-guard. Not quite the same level of mishap, and certainly no pre-boarding.

Back in June I did twist my left ankle three times in a month. It hurt like HELL. Had to hobble everywhere, but (perhaps foolishly) I refused to depend on crutches and forced myself to look more carefully in front of me. It takes a real conscious effort to 'pay more attention + more haste, less speed', that's for sure.

All the best for a speedy recovery... on the bright side, you may make OSL now.

Comment

Sounds like you went through a lot last Saturday jhm.
                    Wishing you a very speedy recovery.

Comment

Gosh, I go out of the country for 2 weeks and you do this to yourself?

Sounds like a thoroughly painful experience all around!! I hope you weren't drunk at the time of the said ill-fated visit to the chapel tower, even if it would explain a lot

As with most others who replied, I have no idea about the practicalities of flying with a cast, so I will just echo the others in hoping for a speedy recovery!

Comment

A dislocated ankle is no fun. Hope it gets better quickly jhm

You should change your seats from upper deck, and also call each airline you'll be flying to arrange wheelchair assistance.

A couple of days ago I saw someone on crutches miss her flight because she hadn't arranged it in advance and turned up too late to check in, clear immigration and get to the gate for departure. She was most unhappy.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your accident fella. I broke my ankle playing football years back, and it wasn't something I'd like to do again.

The obvious thing to do would be to contact whoever you're flying with (presumably BA ?) and see what they say.

Comment

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
                            jhm I'm sure you can Google just as well as me...
                            That's it, from now on, I'm pinging nickbot for all my Googling!

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                            I'm truly sorry to hear about your mishap, jhm - the closest I've come was flying with my wrist in a wrist-guard. Not quite the same level of mishap, and certainly no pre-boarding.
                            What are you talking about? I tore some ligaments and cartilage in my wrist one year from boxing and had a wrist splint on for 9 months. Pre-boarded every time as I would have held up the plane from taking so long to stow my luggage.
                            HUGE AL

Comment

Ouch! Get well soon jhm

Comment

Working...
                              X