Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Slice Of Singapore Airlines' History

http://www.scmp.com/week-asia/opinio...aration-robert

Thanks for posting, SQ22! A very interesting read...

Comment

That terminal building is still there in Kallang, isn't it ?

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
        That terminal building is still there in Kallang, isn't it ?
        It indeed is. The terminal, together with the hangar and two office blocks, is conserved. The runway has been redeveloped; part of it survives as Old Airport Road. Fun fact: like Gibraltar's, while it existed Kallang's runway crossed a road, which had to be closed when planes needed to take off or land.

Two maps I quickly threw together, comparing how the area looks like now vs 1954.

Last edited by cowie; 1 December 2017, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Thanks vy much cowie for that interesting bit of history

Comment

Thanks, for the map cowie. I had mistakenly thought that the old runway itself was Nicoll Highway.

Comment

Thank you for sharing cowie. I'm a huge fan of of the style of street maps in the older image. I spent hours staring at them as a child and young adult.

Comment

Wow thanks for posting the maps @cowie. They are fantastic indeed - certainly great to compare then and now...

Comment

The amazing thing is, unlike many parts of Singapore which are unrecognisable now, most of the roads in the old map Cowie posted are still there today, in more or less the same layout. I could still plan a jogging or walking route using the old map today (Except of course that the coastline is a lot further away, now that we have reclaimed the sea along the coast.) Mainly residential areas around Meyer Road and Mountbatten. The shell of the Kallang Airport terminal is still there, and in good shape. And of course Geylang is still Geylang...

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                    Thank you for sharing cowie. I'm a huge fan of of the style of street maps in the older image. I spent hours staring at them as a child and young adult.
                    You're welcome everyone. And to SQ228, in case you missed this and this, have fun!

Comment

Thanks cowie for those links. Enjoying them!

Comment

Originally posted by cowie View Post
                        You're welcome everyone. And to SQ228, in case you missed this and this, have fun!
                        There goes the day!

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X