SQ B777 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by flyguy View Post
    SQ should have retained the A330s which are far more efficient and less costly maintenance than the oder 772s
    True, but the operating cost difference can't be enough to outweigh the lease payments for the A330s. The B772s technically are "free" as their capital costs have already been incurred and there is really no resale value for them.
    Last edited by 259850; 22 August 2017, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• its ok for SIA to keep its 772s but it seems that the senior management have not been firm in its decisions as then if the older 772s are to be kept in service for more than 14 years, then these aircrafts should have been refurbished to more standard cabin configurations much earlier instead of having a few several cabin configurations including those of even its more classic interiors.
      But this would be the first time that SIA is keeping and using its passenger aircrafts beyond 15 years as in a decade or more, SIA have always prided itself on keepng its planes new and with a average age of 5 to 6 years, and using its aircraft for 10 years to 12 years only.
      However although its older 772s are fully depreciated, there's still much higher scheduled and unscheduled maintenance costs and these planes are not as efficient as the new aircrafts such as the A350s and 787s.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyguy View Post
        its ok for SIA to keep its 772s but it seems that the senior management have not been firm in its decisions as then if the older 772s are to be kept in service for more than 14 years, then these aircrafts should have been refurbished to more standard cabin configurations much earlier instead of having a few several cabin configurations including those of even its more classic interiors.
        But this would be the first time that SIA is keeping and using its passenger aircrafts beyond 15 years as in a decade or more, SIA have always prided itself on keepng its planes new and with a average age of 5 to 6 years, and using its aircraft for 10 years to 12 years only.
        However although its older 772s are fully depreciated, there's still much higher scheduled and unscheduled maintenance costs and these planes are not as efficient as the new aircrafts such as the A350s and 787s.
        Other than maintenance costs, there's also the maintainability issues and ease of maintenance to consider (how easy or difficult to repair the planes).

According to a friend working in aircraft engineering industry, Boeing planes are generally easier to maintain (e.g. easier to dismantle and fix the parts) compared to Airbus planes.

Comment

• Does anyone know if SRJ has been officially withdrawn?

Comment

• Originally posted by pokfur View Post
            Does anyone know if SRJ has been officially withdrawn?
            I've been monitoring it since it stopped flying and haven't seen a test flight. They have so many of the old SV-series freed up now, that I can't see why they would need it. I also haven't noticed any of the A330s ceasing to operate. So many A350s have arrived, surely something is due to depart.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
              I've been monitoring it since it stopped flying and haven't seen a test flight. They have so many of the old SV-series freed up now, that I can't see why they would need it. I also haven't noticed any of the A330s ceasing to operate. So many A350s have arrived, surely something is due to depart.
              Yes I suppose it makes sense... Especially since the other flight SQ918/915 that the SRJ/SRL pair operated has now been changed to an A330 since 1 Sept. That leaves SRL to operate the BKK flights. Wonder when SRL will go.. I suppose an A330 will replace it for BKK too, decreasing Y seat count by quite a lot but retaining J seat count.

Comment

• 9V-SRJ's latest revenue flight was as SQ8232 from SYD arriving in SIN on 09AUG17.
                Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-SPL View Post
                  9V-SRJ's latest revenue flight was as SQ8232 from SYD arriving in SIN on 09AUG17.
                  I presume it may undergo heavy maintenance, then again, we'll know if there's a flight number and if someone mentions the SIA titles and logo are stripped off before they withdraw it.

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-SPL View Post
                    9V-SRJ's latest revenue flight was as SQ8232 from SYD arriving in SIN on 09AUG17.
                    Seems like there is no sign of 9V-SRL going off ? its going to make the BKK flights such a downgrade....

Comment

• Originally posted by hjerapa View Post
                      Seems like there is no sign of 9V-SRL going off ? its going to make the BKK flights such a downgrade....
                      Yes, now I am extra careful and look at the seat map to ensure that I don't get those Ultimo seats.

Comment

• SQ's BKK flight is so cheap now....fair enough for SQ to use old metals for the route. Choose A333

Comment

• BKK at the moment hasn't really seen a change. For the last 9 months, SRJ and SRL did one return flight each but now SRL is doing both.

MNL have had the big improvement though. Lost SRJ/L off SQ918/5 and received an A330 instead.

Comment

• First time post here (but long time reader). Having read this thread, I'm just wondering is BKK the lowest-yielding destination for SQ? Seems like BKK keeps getting old 777 services (along with MNL until recently).

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                              MNL have had the big improvement though. Lost SRJ/L off SQ918/5 and received an A330 instead.
                              But MNL now has SVF doing SQ916/21.

Comment

• Originally posted by iSQream View Post
                                First time post here (but long time reader). Having read this thread, I'm just wondering is BKK the lowest-yielding destination for SQ? Seems like BKK keeps getting old 777 services (along with MNL until recently).
                                At one stage a few years back they announced BKK would go fully A330, but it never materialised. It's a short flight I guess but at the end of the day, nobody really wants the old planes. They still use them on 10+ hour flights to IST and CHC too. I often figure the department that makes these decisions has figures it uses that none of us will ever see.

Comment

Working...
                                X