Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My experience with old raffles class seat (744)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My experience with old raffles class seat (744)

In several forums, people keep complaining about the old raffles class seats on board of SQ 744s; while I have found the seat to be quite comfortable (haven't travelled on the new J cabin yet, but I can hardly imagine that a seat that wide is really comfortable), there are a few remarks I would like to share.

On one flight, the overhead lights did not work (SPO) (not sure whether the bulb was burnt out or something was wrong with the switch, other passengers were using their overhead lights) and the quite stiff reading light stem was constantly pushing into my back when I leaned over to look out of the window (I've had the aisle seat). On the return flight (SPP), the lights worked perfectly (but on that SPO plane, several other things like the lavatory signs were not working as well).

The next issue I've had was with the seat controller - trying and trying again, I could not make the seat do what I commanded it to (the movements developed a life on their own when I pushed some of the buttons, absolutely not doing what I expected). The only function that seemed to work reliably was the blue-lit reclining button. And the noise the seats make when being moved made me think "why are they extending the flaps in the middle of the flight?". Seems that you need to have a university degree to properly operate the seats (or that I'm just too dumb to do it).

And one more thing: Are the armrests really meant to not completely slide down so there is no step between the lie-flat area and the armrests? I found it more comfortable to slide the armrest up again after the seat had fully reclined (which did not work for the middle armrest, there's only a switch of the "for crew use only" type on the middle armrest that had no effect at all).

Which seat number were you on?
    Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

I was on 18H in SPO and 12H in SPP

Comment

I think I sat in 18 before, although my last flight in C on the 744 was to Sydney in March of last year. I'm not too fond of the controls on the old C seats on the 744 either--have had a few embarassing moments where I've had to call on the LS to rectify some error or the other.

Between the old C on the 744 and 772 and the new "hot and wide/angled" (and not in a good way) J seat on the 77W and 380, I can't decide which I like the least
        Last edited by B727; 13 October 2010, 09:18 PM. Reason: aircraft code
        Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Haha, probably like me, a case of ignorance is bliss. To me 744 F seats are good enough as I've not tried the new C / F seats yet (after only trying the old 772 regional C and UA new and old C). Seats are comfortable enough, but similar to bruce80, my cabin lights are not able to dim and are switched on for the entire flight (LAX - SIN).
          Last edited by fone; 14 October 2010, 10:09 AM.

Comment

The worst thing about J on the 747 are these thin and scratchy Economy-like blankets they hand out... While they have updated the F pillows and blankets and made a very nice product even nicer, they have 'forgotten' to load the new J blankets for the 747.

Comment

Even to give out the new Y class blankets like they do on the A380, would be nice. But SQ still insist on keeping products specific to the aircraft they are flying is beyond me.

Comment

They even give you sugar packs featuring the raffles class palms - and I don't hope they are as old as the raffles class branding...

Comment

I think this always happenens with the spacebed :O
                  I've always had trouble trying to get it back up ! :@
                  Regarding the lights , i was onboard a 744 in Jan and the entire row of lights were blown :@ :@ :@

Comment

Originally posted by soarbeyond View Post
                    Regarding the lights , i was onboard a 744 in Jan and the entire row of lights were blown :@ :@ :@

Comment

Originally posted by Dent@SUB View Post
                      I seriously hope that they'd just keep the planes in tip top condition . It does SQ no good in showing how badly the 744s are ageing . . .
                      Did i mention how filthy they are too

Comment

Originally posted by soarbeyond View Post
                        I seriously hope that they'd just keep the planes in tip top condition . It does SQ no good in showing how badly the 744s are ageing . . .
                        Did i mention how filthy they are too
                        Flew SQ12 NRT-LAX over the summer and one light wouldn't switch off in F. Luckily only 2/12 seats were occupied as 6 seats were inoperative, according to IFS Edmond Lee. (9V-SPJ)
                        The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

Working...
                        X